Hanging A Tarp Over Your Tent...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanging A Tarp Over Your Tent...

I use to ALWAYS hang a tarp over my tent to give me one more layer of protection and to act as a vestibule for my tent. It allowed us to take off boots...dry the rain off or whatever. Since I got the Big Agnes, I quit hanging a tarp over the tent because I have a vestibule with my tent.

The problem I have run into is it has rained every time I have camped with the Big Agnes so I end up packing up a wet tent that needs my immediate attention once I get home. No big deal really but I gotta admit, Iam gettin tired of drying out my tent beofre I can call it a day.

So this leads me to my question...Do you use a tarp over your tent or not? If you do, do you use those adjustable tent poles or do you just use rope and tie off to the surrounding trees?

I think I am going to go back to hanging a tarp over my tent for the simple reason that if it rains, I can still pack away a dry tent. I already have the poles...plenty of rope...stakes...a new camo tarp that is 12' 6" X 16' 4" when setup so all I have to supply is the effort to set it up. I use to use the trees but I have the poles when the trees are not available.

What does everyone else do?

I only stretch a tarp if rain is predicted. But I carry several every-time. In earlier photos perhaps you saw the blue tarps they are 1-8x10'; 2-6x8'; 1-10x10'; Brown 1-8x10'; now I got my camo tarps and they are 3- 6x8'; 1-12x30'; 1-8x10'.

Sometimes if trees are available I'll tie the gourmets off and at other times, if I haul 'em, I have an assortment of old Army Surplus solid wooden tent poles that are 10' long(this is for long campin). I do not like the flimsy fiberglazz or aluminum poles they just don't stand up to the weather that we camp in. I also have extra steel poles that I ordered from Spring-bar and they work real well. Hey, I know it sounds like a lot of equipment but I'm campin by WJ(Grand Cherokee Jeep Limited Edition V8) so I take what I want, whatever my bride says, gotta make my two girls happy and "ole red" she gets me there.
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 06-02-2010, 08:58 PM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Yup, I camp using a truck or a van so taking the gear I need is a option I use alot. I have 4 steel poles, two 8 footers and two 7 footers that are very strong. Those poles give me alot of freedom in how I want to setup the tarp.

This past weekend we had great weather until 3AM on the morning we were to leave. Then the skies opened up and we got several hours of heavy rain. I had to breakdown in the pouring rain. Luckly, we use a screened easy up and I took the gear from inside the tent and vestibule into the canopy. However, my tent was drenched by the time I got it down and into its bag. If I would of had a tarp up, the only thing that gets wet is the tarp.

I am now going back to pitching a tarp over my tent, at least on most occasions. Here in the south, an afternoon thunderstorm is the norm and I am tried of packing up a wet tent. I just wanted to get others input as to how and why they do or dont use a tarp. Right now, I am thinking it is the lesser of the 2 evils.

Comment

Sometimes my tent gets wet even when using a tarp. Long ago I accepted it as a fact of life and set up the tent when I get home. That way I can also make sure it gets cleaned out before it gets properly put away.

Comment

I too like pitching the tent when we return from campouts. Sometimes, I have to to dry it out and it gives me another night of camping. Desert Rose claims I turn into a little kid because to me it's like sleeping in the backyard when I was a child! I always enjoyed my backyard campouts! Still do!:D

Comment

Getting back to the thread is most important though....hanging a tarp over your tent.

Tarps can serve a variety of purposes from providing shade on a sunny day for campers and picnickers, to providing a waterproof temporary shelter for people and property. Hanging a tarp properly is essential for providing the maximum beneficial effect. The simplest way to hang a tarp is between two existing structures such as trees or buildings. The most important aspect of hanging a tarp is to make sure that the tarp adequately fits the application.

Locate two structures a decent distance apart. In order to hang a tarp properly you will first need to find two structures to tie it to. It doesn't really matter what the structures are as long as they are spaced adequately apart to accommodate your tarp after it has been completely opened, and that they are not too far that your ropes will not reach them comfortably.

Open the tarp. Open the packaging and unfold the tarp so that there are no folds in the fabric. This will allow you to ensure that you have adequate distance between your structures and help you locate the grommets so that you can position the tarp properly.

Attach a rope between the two structures. Take one end of your rope and securely fasten it to the structure on one side. Stretch the rope across the gap and secure it to the other structure. The rope should be taut; however, some sag is okay in the center.

Add the tarp. Slide the tarp fabric over the rope diagonally, allowing the fabric to drape on either side of the rope at equal lengths. The grommets should be accessible at each corner that is currently draped. Secure the ends of the tarp with a rope tied around the structure. This should pull the tarp taut, but not strain the fabric.

Tie down the draped sides. Slide a rope through the grommets located at each free corner and pull the drape taut outward from the center. Stake the drapes down with tent stakes. The end result should have a raised center section with side flaps that will deflect rain, wind and sun.
            Last edited by renodesertfox; 08-25-2010, 05:52 PM.

Comment

As the fox said...........do not tie ropes to opposite sides of your tarp and attach to tress etc.
              run the rope from your first tree, thread it through the first grommet, and then make a knot in the rope so the tarp won't slip back.
              Run the rope to the opposite side and thread it through the grommet........DO NOT tie a knot on this side.
              Best is to hook a bungee cord through this grommet and onto the tree you end on, this way the tarp can tighten and relax as wind dictates.
              If you tie a rope to either side of the tarp, you are putting too much strain on the tarp and risk ripping it right down the middle.

Comment

Thanks OC! You saved the day! Couldn't have said it better, thanks for chimin in!....Getting cold up north yet?

Comment

On the very first Dual Sport motorcycle meet we held (nearly six years ago!) I supplied the huge tarps we used for our 'wrenching' area. 20X40 blue tarp, $5 on sale from Wally's! My Dad bought three of them.
                  We made the mistake of tying them directly to the trees, then a big wind&rain storm came up. Ripped two corners out of the first tarp. Put the second tarp up - same thing happened! Major bummer! But we learned.......

My usual camping buddy has a three-legged tarp shelter on fiberglass poles he puts over his Teardrop Trailer. A couple meets, we rigged it to cover the door and rear galley of his TD and I put my 3-man dome tent under it so I had rain protection over the door. Made a very nice 'foyer' to sit at the camp table under shade and shelter!

Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
                    Thanks OC! You saved the day! Couldn't have said it better, thanks for chimin in!....Getting cold up north yet?

It's starting to chill down.....tonight is callin for 50 f but for Sat thru Tues we are expecting 81-82.
                    Give it 4 months.......it will be -22F............only campin then will be in bed.

Comment

Working...
                    X