Let's see some canvast tents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's see some canvast tents

I plan to be camping in the snow next week with my 1980 Wenzel canvas tent. Now, I don't like to admit this, but I will be camping at a state campground with electricity.

I hope to find an electric heater at a thrift store somewhere to use in the tent. I have an old Coleman catalytic heater, but have heard mixed reviews about their safety ie carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide dangers. So, if I can pick up an electric heater for a couple of bucks and have electricity at the site, then I should be all set.

Of course.... I could just camp without a heater as I have done for 35+ years, but I thought I would give this a try.

Comment

Yes, you could open up your wallet and buy some decent down bags too, but that's the easy way out. I suggest a CO detector, including 12V wiring, and a solar panel to provide power, assuming you're a "day sleeper".

I'm going all-in with the electric heater/electric blanket crowd on this one...
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
        Yes, you could open up your wallet and buy some decent down bags too, but that's the easy way out. I suggest a CO detector, including 12V wiring, and a solar panel to provide power, assuming you're a "day sleeper".

I'm going all-in with the electric heater/electric blanket crowd on this one...
        I have enough sleeping bags to stay warm and I have a lot of experience winter camping without heaters, but usually I winter camp with friends. Now, I am car camping alone. The lights go out here around 4:00 PM and I don't want to go to bed that early, so I am thinking that a heater might make the evening more comfortable.

Comment

Please give us a report on your experience....like how cold it got and how you kept warm. And of course the sights and experiences of it all. Happy Camping!

Comment

Re: Let's see some canvas tents

January 1 2013.. Starting the year in my Kodiak canvas 10 x 14 on New years day in Sebastian Florida Long point park.. Awesome tent and will last many years.. Super excited..
            Attached Files
            Proud owner of the Kodiak canvas 10 x 14 deluxe flex bow tent..

Comment

awesome pic's swebob. You make me jealous.
              Nights camped in 2019: 24
              Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Any idea who the manufacturer of this tent is?....just scored it at the goodwill outlet
                Attached Files

Comment

I've had a couple canvas tents, the first was a 16' tipi, I lived in it off and on for a couple years in N Az. I sold it years ago, I sure miss it. I plan to get another one, they are fantastic all season tents if you have the ability to transport them. I love being able to have an open fire inside. The other is an 8x12 wall tent. The side walls are 5', the ridge is 8'. It's a pretty good all season tent also, especially with the wood stove. It's easier to transport than the tipi, but not as comfortable and roomy. I need a good tarp porch for it. I have a steel frame for it, its extremely stable, but prefer wood poles, they are lighter and simpler to put up. Wall tents are fairly popular with folks that horse pack back into remote areas for hunting camps.

Tipi, set up on my land. It took over an hour to shovel in with my snowshoes after walking about 7 miles in to it.

The wall tent. Moose camp near Yellowstone.

Last edited by Malamute; 06-06-2013, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Msteiger View Post
                    Any idea who the manufacturer of this tent is?....just scored it at the goodwill outlet
                    Wow, that is a nice score! How much did you py for it at the thrift store?

Is it still waterproof?

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
                      I've had a couple canvas tents, the first was a 16' tipi, I lived in it off and on for a couple years in N Az. I sold it years ago, I sure miss it. I plan to get another one, they are fantastic all season tents if you have the ability to transport them. I love being able to have an open fire inside. The other is an 8x12 wall tent. The side walls are 5', the ridge is 8'. It's a pretty good all season tent also, especially with the wood stove. It's easier to transport than the tipi, but not as comfortable and roomy. I need a good tarp porch for it. I have a steel frame for it, its extremely stable, but prefer wood poles, they are lighter and simpler to put up. Wall tents are fairly popular with folks that horse pack back into remote areas for hunting camps.

Tipi, set up on my land. It took over an hour to shovel in with my snowshoes after walking about 7 miles in to it.

The wall tent. Moose camp near Yellowstone.

Beautiful pics, Malamute!

Comment

This photobucket thing is a huge hassle...but here goes...let me know if you can see my tent pics!

http://http://s863.photobucket.com/u...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

A tipi with a liner, or a wall tent with a stove are vastly superior to anything shown on this thread. Pleople seem to like the Kodiak tents. When it comes to cold weather, the old ways are the best ways.

I set up my wall tent yesterday for the Nevada Day party today.

I like Mike's photos.
                          Last edited by ppine; 10-26-2013, 09:33 AM.

Comment

I have installed a stove jack in the old Sears red/blue 9x14, and will test it out this winter. Wisconsin is a great proving ground for a good winter tent. My tipi works great with it's wood stove and steel frame that also has a stove pipe hole at the top center. Last winter we had it up and held up great during the 4+ months of winter and was exceptionally warm.

Comment

Greens,
                              What kind of a tipi has a stove jack?

Comment

ppine: The kind of tipi that needed some modifications to deal with the types of weather we have in the midwest (i.e., long, torrential rains, and rapid changes from rain to slush to snow). I fabricated a steel spider frame that I can break down and set up in about 30 minutes. The center of the spider at the top is a steel pipe large enough to fit a stove pipe through. The pics should be in my previous post.

Comment

Working...
                                X