Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backpacking Basics

Howdy,
    Many of the best experiences I have had in nature have come backpacking. Learning backpacking basics have afforded me the chance to see some great scenic views, wildlife and the exercise is unparalleled.
    There is no better way to get an appreciation for nature as well as your everyday lifestyle.

Here Are A Few Basic Backpacking Tips!
    Just remember that there is no badge for walking the farthest or the fastest.
    Take your time and enjoy where you are.

Set Goals

A well planed backpacking trip will have all your campsites plotted out before you leave.
    • Breakdown how many miles you will travel each day
    • How long it will take you to travel each day
    • Find sites you might be able to see each day
    • Learn the terrain
    • Know when to expect breaks
    Backpacking is many things to many people. For some it means filling their backpack and hitting a local trail for an overnight camping trip.
    For others it means stripping down to the essentials and making a weeklong ultralight adventure.
    Know your Backpacking Skill Level and enjoy your trip the right way!

Who Should Go Backpacking?
    Anyone who enjoys a good personal challenge should try backpacking if they have never.
    For some people learning backpaking basic skills is an intimidating idea. Don't let that stop you from trying such a great pass time.
    There are many questions from beginners. What equipment do I need? Where do I go? and statments like "I need to train!"
    If you like scenic views you are a great candidate for backpacking so get ready to sharpen your backpacking basic skills...
    If you are going with your family all of the children going should be at least 10 years old depending on their size and physical ability.
    It might be difficult to find a pack for them so before you make your plans look into those possible issues.

What Skills Do You Need To Know?
    Everyone has to start somewhere so do some reading, start out with small day hikes and work your way up to the real good stuff. Your body will appreciate it.
    It is important to realize that you are going into the wilderness and Mother Nature is powerful. She deserves respect.
    It is good to have basic survival skill knowledge and know some first aid.

Planning your trip is also a skill. Take it step by step and you will have fun along the way as you gain knowledge of backpacking basics like:
    • Food and Nutrition
    • Your Fitness Level
    • Basic Survival Skills
    • Health and First Aid
    • Navigation
    • Trail Leadership Skills
    When Should You Go Backpacking?
    That question largely depends on your experience level, but I think that everyone would agree that the best trips are done when the weather is good.
    I prefer to take my trips in the spring and fall when nature's colors are off the charts beautiful and the weather is not so hot and not so cold.
    Some of the more experienced hikers will tell you that the winter has a beauty all it's own but you should have some survival skills for that.
    In some areas the winter storms can pop up quick.
    If you plan to go in the summer make sure there is a good water source and you have plenty of water treatment or a portable water filter.
    Where Should You Go Backpacking?

For starters your local hills and mountains are a great place to sharpen those backpacking basic skills.
    It is important for everyone to get in touch with more of nature than your back yard.
    I was lucky enough to be raised at the base of a 10,000 ft. mountain range. Hiking and backpacking were common activities for us.
    Really most anywhere can be a good place to strap on your pack and go for a weekend or longer.
    So check out your local hills and mountains first. There are also many camping books to help you find places to go that are near you.
    Remember to build up your backpacking skills before you take on that 50 mile hike!
    What Equipment Do You Need?

A good pair of boots and a light backpack is a basic necessity for any backpack trip.
    Knowledge of how to pack as well as what to pack and how much your pack should weigh is also backpacking basic and a skill.
    A stove, mess kit and water filter is great to have so you don't have to build a fire every time you want to eat or drink!
    Maps are also essential...

How Far Is Far?
    That depends on how physically fit you are. You figure three to five miles is a good day for a beginner.
    It also depends on how many is in the group and what the terrain is like.
    An experienced group can hike up to 10 miles a day.
    Knowing these Backpacking Basics before you go will make your trip more relaxed on the trail and more enjoyable.

Just like any good vacation preparation is the key. Take your time and make sure you have the equipment and the backpacking basic skills that you need. The fun will be boundless.
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 08-30-2009, 02:09 AM. Reason: adding more info
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

For me, the crucial things you mentioned are to carry a map/s of the area, a comp**** and KNOW HOW TO USE THEM.

When I pound trail in spring through fall, I leave a map on the dash of my car, with my route highlighted. There is also a note on the dash stating when I will return. I always let someone know when I will be home, an call them when I get home, or I call them from my vehicle and let them know when I expect to be home. If that person doesn't get a call from meat the scheduled time ........ I expect that person to call Search and Rescue.

This seems rather strict. Well, I am at least a 3 hour drive from where I park my car (at the trailhead) and when I get home. If I am not going to get home on time, I have 3 hours to contact them on my cell phone or find another phone and call. So, that "plan" isn't all that restrictiv.

When I pound snow in the winter, in addition to the above, prior to leaving for the adventure, I contact Search and Rescue, giving them the make/model of my vehicle, where it will be parked, and the gps coordinates of where I will be while treking. I also tell them that I will call them by such and such time when I get back.

Lastly, when I am on the trail alone, I carry a cell phone with me for emergency purposes ONLY. Along with the Personal Rescue Beacon I carry, I feel I am doing the best I can for my personal safety.
    Last edited by Eaglebait Ranch; 12-08-2009, 06:47 PM.
    Chuck
    So. Oregon
    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Safety Beacon

Safety Beacon, that is good advice...where did you find yours? That sounds good for just about anyone hiking alone or if you get separated.
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
      X