Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Altitude Sickness

Howdy,

My first high altitude experience was going to the top of Mount Shasta (14,179 feet) in California. My head was pounding like someone was knocking on a door, and this continued for hours. After I made it to the summit and began to descend, the pain went away. This is a clue to the primary treatment for any altitude related problems: go lower.

High Altitude Illnesses

Here are the three most common illnesses caused by altitude:

AMS or acute mountain sickness: Common when going above 10,000 feet (3000 meters) without proper acclimatization. Symptoms include headache, nausea, weakness, shortness of breath, vomiting, and problems sleeping.

HAPE or high altitude pulmonary edema: Rare below 8,500 feet (2,500 meters) More common with younger (under 18) hikers and persons who have had the problem before. Symptoms develop 24 to 60 hours after arrival at high altitude, and include coughing, shortness of breath, weakness, headache, rapid heart rate, and progress to constant coughing, bloody sputum, fever and chest congestion. Crackling sound in chest, resting pulse rate of 110 respirations per minute, and respirations over 16 per minute are early signs of HAPE. Death is usually within 12 hours after coma starts.

CE or cerebral edema: Less common than AMS or HAPE, but more dangerous. Rare below 11,500 feet (3,500 meters). Symptoms include increasingly severe headache, instability, mental confusion, hallucinations, loss of vision, facial muscle paralysis, loss of dexterity, restless sleep followed by coma and death.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Mt. Shasta

When did you do Shasta? I can drive .5 miles east of our house, get a hill out of the way, as see that majestic edifice.

Hey.. just got to use the spell checker (ediface to edifice). Cool, Dude!

See ya on the trail.........
    Chuck
    So. Oregon
    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Ams

Hi VDF,

I had AMS this summer when we were up in Colorado Springs I started feeling the headache shortness of breath and nausea the day we got there. I thought it was the ten hour drive and to much coffee.
      Then we went to the top of pikes peak a couple of day later and I had the same feeling all over again. It was nasty they say to drink plenty of water as well. I plan to bring a gallon jug next time we visit CO. I am sure there will be a next time as it was very beautiful.

Comment

Howdy Eaglebait,
        1974, in my younger single days! Started out from Bunny Flat. Stayed the night just below Helen Lake. Departed @2:30am and summitted via Avalanche Gulch route at 11:20am on August 20, 1974. The experience was AWESOME! :D:D
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by vegasdesertfox View Post
          This is a clue to the primary treatment for any altitude related problems: go lower.
          Now that right there is the best advice for curing altitude sickness I think I've ever recieved.:p

On a serious note, I have been going to the Gunnison National Forest near Almont, and Crested Butte Colorado since I was a lil tike. I can never recall too much altitude sickness in my past, however this last summer when we went I did have symptoms of HAPE. We camp at 10,151 ft at a very beautiful reservoir (Spring Creek Resv.). I was very weak all the time and could not do the extreme hikes and mountain biking that I was used to because I found myself lying down in my parents camper on the fold out bed over and over from feeling weak. My mother became concerned after watching me become more energiezed as we visted the town of Gunnison which is about 20 miles down the mountain, roughly 8,000 feet. We checked with the local clinic about symptoms and HAPE was one of their concerns. They informed me that if I felt dizzy due to shortness of breath or my heart rate increased that I needed to seek medical attention ASAP as it could become serious. Luckily my heart was beating normally I was just weak and tired all the time. What really ruined it was, I was not able to go on my 3 day backpacking/survival hike I take every year to "Horsethief Lake" just about 6 miles from where my parents stay at a primative campground in their Jayco Trailer. Oh well, theres always next year right?:D
          "Survival isn't learned overnight" ~XXXMoonshineXXX~
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X