Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inclement Weather Considerations

Howdy,
    Having the proper equipment for inclement weather is necessary when backpacking. You'll want to be prepared for rain, cold temperatures, and even the sun.

To prepare for hiking in wet conditions, you'll need raingear. The best option is a waterproof breathable jacket. Rainpants are also good to have, especially when the weather and winds are cool. In warmer conditions, they often are not necessary, especially if you have hiking pants made of a quick dry material. When spending the entire day hiking in the rain, it's virtually impossible to stay completely dry. Purchase clothing that is made from synthetic, quick-dry materials so that when you do get wet, it's easier and faster to dryout. A raincover for your pack is also a necessity. A lightweight alternative to carrying a rainjacket and pack cover is to use a hooded poncho large enough to cover yourself and your pack all at once.

No matter how nice you expect the weather to be during your hiking trip, you should always have: raingear, a hat, gloves, an extra set of dry clothes (for emergency and/or sleeping in), an extra pair of socks, and waterproof boots. Even if you plan on staying in trail shelters, you should always have your own shelter, even if it is as simple as a tarp. Having two fire sources is also a smart idea. Obviously, this is just a quick, basic list; backpacking in extreme conditions requires extra equipment. Now get outdoors and camp here when you come back. Would love to hear about your trip!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

If I am convinced my outing isn't going to involve rain, I know I am carrying two rolled up leaf bags with me.......... They can be used for all sorts of "water barrier" emergencies, like: rain gear and a pack cover.

Along with this weather topic, I wrap about 2' of duct tape around each of my walking sticks so i don't have to pack it. In the case of foul weather, it can be used to secure the leaf bag to the pack.
    Last edited by Eaglebait Ranch; 12-08-2009, 06:50 PM.
    Chuck
    So. Oregon
    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

For those not needing to really watch the last gram of weight, a couple good pieces of clear plastic painter's sheeting ("bisqueen", sp?) can make a good supplemental shelter, or as a groundsheet under the tent. A larger piece makes a rainfly, tarp or minitent.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
      X