Best backpacking tent for 4 people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best backpacking tent for 4 people?

I am looking for recommendations on a family tent for backpacking. Ideally it would be rromy, but lightweight, not be a hideous color but rather blend into foliage, be very watertight and durable, easy to set up. I realize some of these goals are mutually exclusive to some degree, but I'm hoping there is something close out there. What can you recommend?

I won't presume to try and name the "best"; there are too many factors to consider. I know there are options from Eureka, Kelty, Sierra Designs, and probably several others. Some retailers might let you set up a couple and try them out in the store. Good luck in your search!

Comment

Originally posted by ok.dokey View Post
      I am looking for recommendations on a family tent for backpacking. Ideally it would be rromy, but lightweight, not be a hideous color but rather blend into foliage, be very watertight and durable, easy to set up. I realize some of these goals are mutually exclusive to some degree, but I'm hoping there is something close out there. What can you recommend?
      Help me with what you consider "backpacking". If you are going to be doing any taxing trail walking, you will have to define "roomy". Backpackers who pound trail, and need a 4 persoon tent, know that four people and a good size dog are probably all that will intimately fit into a 4 person tent. If two of those four are elementary age children, then a 4 person tent will give you room for two dogs, including your family.

Most backpacking tents these days are relatively easy to put up. When I go out, or my wife and I go out, I/we use a 3 season, 3 person tent by Northface. it doesn't take any more than a short 5 minutes to set it up and put it where I/we want it to be.

Most tents are not "waterproof", but have a covering, called a "fly", that goes over the tent which helps keep water out of the tent.

Usually, tents give the inside vertical clearances in their demensions. Use that as a guide to help you pick a tent.

Places I shop, online, for backpacking gear (tents included) are Campmor.com, and SierraTradingPost.com.

If you can be more specific as to what your backpacking interests are, I could offer more help.
      Chuck
      So. Oregon
      TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
      TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
      SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

My general 'rule of thumb' is to consider any tent billed for a certain number of people to be comfy with only half that - ie. a 'four man' tent is really comfy only for two. I do NOT like sleeping stacked in like a sardine. I am a restive sleeper, and need room to roll over and move around.
        On a longer stay, I use a three-man dome tent with a twin-size air matress - comfy, but I sure wouldn't want to lug that around on my back!
        When doing an overnighter or just sleeping on a road trip, I use a one-man "Bivytent" - fits me snugly but enough room to move around.
        I would suggest using two 2-man tents for back packing. Split the gear so the tent-carriers are offset by the others carrying the cooking gear. If you are camping with your S.O., she will appreciate having the tent to the two of you too! And kids....... the little buggers should be close, but in their own tent - just this batchelor's opinion! :D
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Any specific tent recommendations or are the $40 tests (Coleman etc) just as good as the $500 tents (North Face, etc.)?

Having room fro two adults and one child is sufficient, I wanted a 4-person tent recommendation because I knew they are usually a bit tighter on space.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
            I would suggest using two 2-man tents for back packing. Split the gear so the tent-carriers are offset by the others carrying the cooking gear. If you are camping with your S.O., she will appreciate having the tent to the two of you too! And kids....... the little buggers should be close, but in their own tent - just this batchelor's opinion! :D
            Great idea, 2 two person tents! Yep, evening out the load on the trail really helps everyone get along better, too! Granted, I have Billy Bob to carry my stuff, but when I am out alone, my 3 person tent holds me, my dog, and some gear - just in case the skies open up on me/us and I am stuck inside the tent waiting for the storm to pass.
            Chuck
            So. Oregon
            TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
            TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
            SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Working...
            X