Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Zip-Lock Omelets

Originally posted by MNCamper View Post
    I can't believe this forum is still here and you people are still replying to this post. Anyway, I should never have named a particular brand of bag. Whatever my friend's wife brought with us, they were made for cooking and boiling. I'm sure you can find something to suit your needs when you go shopping.

As for the toxins, look around you... a few released from a baggie once or twice a year is the least of your concerns.

Anyhow, I think we did that twice. My camping style has since evolved and I tend to stick to something dry or oatmeal/noodles in a sierra cup over a small backpacking stove for most meals. I don't have time for coolers, frying pans or elaborate meals.
    I would be interested in hearing more about the quick meals you have when you are camping. Without going freeze-dried, what other things have you found?

Comment

anything that makes for tasty lightweight meals has me interested,
      I hike and camp, and food tends to be a major weight issue,
      probably heaviest part of the load, including water which i use a water filter and dont carry that much.
      my meals tend to be basic and bland, (pasta, rice, beans, oatmeal, etc..)mostly using dry seasonings for flavor,
      so if theres easy tasty light weight meals i am interested in hearing about it.

Comment

Terasec, take a stroll through the grocery store for the convenience meals like the pasta meals, soups, stews. There is a huge variety now. Some people say they have a lot of salt and a lot of carbs, which is probably true, if that is of a concern to you

Of course, one of the best one-pot camping cookbook writers is Harriet Baker with books like "The One Pot Gourmet" and "Supermarket Backpacker" for delicious, lightweight, fast, simple, low-cost camping recipes

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
          Terasec, take a stroll through the grocery store for the convenience meals like the pasta meals, soups, stews. There is a huge variety now. Some people say they have a lot of salt and a lot of carbs, which is probably true, if that is of a concern to you

Of course, one of the best one-pot camping cookbook writers is Harriet Baker with books like "The One Pot Gourmet" and "Supermarket Backpacker" for delicious, lightweight, fast, simple, low-cost camping recipes

i will look again at some of those ready made meals
          sodium? for everyday foods yes i watch it,
          for camping and on occassion not such a big deal, i just avoid the extremes
          300-500 mg sodium per serving i would go for, but no way would i go for those with +800 mg per serving

Comment

We have done this before and it works quite well. Taste and texture were both great.

Comment

Working...
            X