Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seasoning Cast Iron Cookware

Howdy,
    Cast iron cookware is an old fashioned form of cookware that still has a place in today's world of modern cooking. You will find all types of cast iron pots, pans, skillets, tea kettles, and even large dutch ovens. Those who routinely use cast iron swear by it's versatility and durability. I personally think that a good set of cast iron cookware is hard to beat.

There are a few conditions that you do have to meet when using cast iron. One of these is seasoning the new cast iron items that you buy or maintaining the seasoning of the ones you already own. Seasoning of cast iron is required to promote a non-stick surface on the cookware and make it easier to clean. Another consideration when dealing with cast iron cookware is maintaining the items in an environment where they will not begin to rust. Rust is one of the true enemies of the otherwise durable product. If these two conditions are met, then the cast iron cookware that you buy today, could still be in everyday service a hundred years from now.

The first aspect of seasoning cast iron is to start with a clean pan. Take the newly purchased item and remove any adhesive from stickers, and any other foreign material that does not belong. Washing the pan with warm soapy water and then drying it completely is normally sufficient. Next, pre-heat your oven to about 250 to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. The next step is to use lard or some other animal fat like bacon grease to start the seasoning process. Avoid vegetable oils as they tend to get very sticky and can ruin a brand new pan. Coat the inside of the pan with the lard and place it into the pre-heated oven for about 20 to 30 minutes. You will want to keep an eye on it to make sure the grease doesn't get too hot and start to smoke during this process. Once time has passed remove the pan and get rid of the excess grease inside the cast iron pan. Then, put the pan back in the oven for another 20 minutes or so to finish the seasoning process. A new cast iron pan may require several treatments like this to establish a good "layer" of seasoning. What I mean is that you may have to do this a couple of times before the pan starts to become really non-stick and easy to use for everyday cooking jobs. Afterwards, you can use the cast iron to cook and it wouldn't hurt to use it to fry bacon or something fatty every once in a while to help maintain good seasoning on the pan.

As mentioned before, rust is one of cast irons true weak points. Rust can quickly turn a beautiful, well seasoned pan into a useless eyesore that you aren't quite sure what to do with. Preventing cast iron from rusting is simple if you remember a few guidelines. Always store your cast iron in a dry place. Do not keep it under the kitchen sink or hanging above your stove where it will be exposed to a steady supply of steam. Never put your cast iron away without thoroughly drying it. An easy way to dry cast iron is to place it in a hot oven for about five minutes or put it on a stove burner on high for a minute or so. This will burn off any excess water left over from when you washed it and will almost guarantee the avoidance of rust. If you do discover that your cast iron treasures have become rusted over time, there are steps to reclaim them. You may even come across a beautiful historic piece of cast iron at a yard sale or flea market and decide to revive it. Check out my article on restoring rusted cast iron cookware for more tips on reviving your rusty cast iron.

With a proper knowledge in seasoning and caring for cast iron cookware, you can enjoy all of the benefits of cast iron without all of the drawbacks that are inherent to it. With the proper care, the cast iron pans that you buy and use today can be handed down to your children and grandchildren for them to enjoy.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Thanks for the info Renodesertfox!! I love my cast iron collection, it is the first thing loaded up for my outings. Probably cause it is the biggest box I have besides my coolers. I have 2 large dutch ovens, a 20 inch fry pan, 2 12 inch fry pans, 2 large grill/griddles, and 2medium sauce pans in my cook kit. Also have an assortment of other pots, pans, and other bakewear type pans. I am going to have to get some pictures up of my cook kit.
    Anyway what I was getting to after reading your post was how I seasoned my cast. About 6 years ago right after we moved into our house I decided to season my cast in the oven, mind you qe do not have an exhaust hood! I didn't think about that, or thw smoke factor. Smoked up the whole house, it took a good 5 hours to clear! I will never do it in the house again.
    Instead of the oven, I use my grill. Turn grill on high. Coat the cast with preferred oil or grease. I used vegetable oil, yes it did get sticky, but fine after cooking in it. I should have used bacon grease or lard as Renodesertfox instructed, but.... Place cast on the grill, close grill, and wait for smoke to subside. This method worked great. Pans are as non stick as teflon! I was pretty amazed the first time I used them.

Comment

My mother would have beat me senseless had I ever washed one of her cast iron pans or pots! :eek::eek::eek:

More recently, having just obtained a degree in culinary arts, I can assure you that science says washing your cast iron with warm, soapy water is bad juju.

I would recommend treating your cast iron with a mixture of how one would care for their bbq grill and wooden cutting board.

While the pan is still hot, get all of the large particulate matter out of it using a wooden spatula or some such. Blot out any excess fat/oil.

Once the pan has cooled enough to do so, rub kosher salt thoroughly over the entire cooking surface, then dump it out. Any tiny bits of salt left on the pan will then help protect if from rusting.

I love using cast iron for cooking, just watch out for leaving/using acid in them for very long!
      Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Thanks gentlemen, it's great reading, visualizing how other great campateers such as yourselves handle your cast iron cookware! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Re: Seasoning Cast Iron Cookware

Don't forget to pre-season your cast iron cookware! Get camping!

Comment

I uhm ALMOST asked my son to divorce his wife when she Ajaxed my cast iron skillets that had previously belonged to my great grandmother.................
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

My mother would have beat me senseles if I DID NOT wash a pan with soap and water after use! :eek::eek::eek:(She's still a registered nurse in the Emergency Room at 73) The soap prevents illness-inducing bacterial growth. The trick is to scrape off what you can and not scrub too hard, and most importantly, don't submerge the pan in the water. Once you clean and rinse it off, dry it and then put it back on the stove for a few minutes to dry it off completely. If you like, you can add a little oil and heat a couple of minutes longer to replace what little of the seasoning you may have removed by cleaning. You won't damage the seasoning unless you scrub too hard or induce rust by storing it wet...But those cast iron pans do their magic now at home outside with my grills since GSI cookware does the same job and is 90% lighter. Of course you cannot cook with it inside an oven or over an open fire...one of the great advantages of cast-iron cookware for sure.
              Last edited by tplife; 01-24-2011, 02:25 PM.
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
              X