Boy Scout dinners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boy Scout dinners

Or at least that is what my grandma used to call them. When I was a kid she would make these on the grill or in the stove and I loved them. I still make them everyonce in a while on the grill at home and will be making them when I go camping this month. I searched and didn't see this so thought I would share, I"m sure some of you have made these before. Easy to make, cook, and clean up.

There really isn't a recipe, just a peice of tin foil and start adding things. I start with sliced or cubed potatoes and onion slices and ground beef and then add some corn or peas or beans or whatever you like. I add a little butter also. Then add some spices, again whatever you like. I switch it up all the time, sometimes use jerk seasoning, sometimes a taco seaoning, or just mix some of whatever. Sometimes I add a little gravy to it also.

Then wrap it up good and throw it on the grill or in the fire and let it cook for around 1/2 hour. I let the kids make their own and put what they want in them and they love it.

Scott

Yeah, I remember these as being called Hobos. Great way to cook a fun delicious meal over a campfire and not have to wash dishes either. Thinkin' on it's makin me hungry now. May have to do these on my next outing. :D
    Last edited by WVcamper; 07-14-2010, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Yep, I know 'em as Hobo Dinners - put in whatever you have handy! In older days, 'pot-luck'....... We did 'em in pots, but foil sounds good too! A lot less clean-up!
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I've never tried it in the crockpot, maybe have to one day at home. The nice thing about the foil is each person makes their own so they can put what ever they want in them. Works nice for the kids so they can put their own spices on and I can put my own without worrying if they are going to like it or not.

Comment

Hobo, Girl or Boy Scout Dinners...that is a great way to cook a meal! Glad you're filling up the board instead of always me...besides I'm camping in two days! Thanks fer sharin!
          Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
          Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Thanks RDF, I came here with a bunch of questions so thought I would share some of my limited knowledge! Seems like a good group of campers here.

Comment

I remember seeing Alton Brown on Food Network making some meals like that except he used parchment paper instead of aluminum foil and cooked them in the oven. He said they were great for dinner parties and made it easy to accommodate guests who had special requests like vegetarians.

Comment

We call them Silver Turtles and encourage the boys to make designs. That helps to figure out which meal belongs to which kid.

For Cub Scouts I choose pre-cooked meats because they don't like to wait and I don't want sick cubies.
                http://usscouts.org/cooking/cook_03.asp

Comment

We love the hobo packs!!! I first learned to make them in the boy scouts. I recall one of the older boys use a trout he caught, potatoes, onions, wild mushrooms and peppers. He cooked it hobo pack style, opened it, decided he would not eat it cause the fish was still looking at him!!! Guess who wanted it? That was the first hobo pack I ate. I try to copy it every time we go camping. Come pretty close too.
                  In my own opinion, make hobo packs on the last night of the trip, and breakfast and lunch the last day. No washing pans!! We put whatever leftovers together. Burgers, sausage, bacon, eggs, hot dogs, baked and raw potatoes, corn, onions, peppers, and wild shrooms are commonly found in my hobos. I think I made one during an outing with all the above. What a variety, all in one dish too!!! Add the eggs last, after everything else is cooked, just open up the pack and crack the egg in there. Oh ya babe! Mouth is watering now.

Comment

Working...
                  X