Pricey's bbq chicken over campfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pricey's bbq chicken over campfire

Here is my recipe for slow cooked chicken over the campfire. Can also be done over charcoal or gas, but wood fire is the best in my opinion. I usually do this meal for up to 20 people. Everybody looks forward to it.

The chicken rub:
    3 tablespoons celery salt
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    2 tablespoons pepper
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    Mix all together and put in empty spice bottle. I do this at home, convienient.

I use 5 pounds bone in chicken breast ( boneless dries out) and 5 pounds leg quarters for 6-7 people.
    A few hours before the chicken is to be cooked, dust the chicken pieces with the rub. Cover and place in cooler, or fridge. The cooking fire should be a thick bed of hot coals. Chicken should cook slowly. Sometimes it has cooked for 3 hours without drying out. I can't really explain in detail how I cook it but I am trying. When the skin is just about crisp, brush on your favorite bbq sauce.
    Bbq sauce should always be added when the meat is done. Bbq sauce tends to burn quickly.
    Baked potatoes usually go good with this. Place on grill first on botton rack. ( notice profile pic) this time I did them in foil. (Cut in half, butter and montreal steak seasoning, then wrapped and cooked.) Other times I did them unwrapped. The chicken juices drip onto them that way.
    The chicken should have crispy skin and be juicy and falling off the bone. Enjoy!!!

Looks really good! I too have a few recipes on back pages of this sub-topic. I'm finally happy someone has decided to step-up and share great grub recipes with the campateers here! Thanks Pricey!

My problem though with cooking over a wood fire is that it takes a lot of wood and time getting a fire just where you want it. What do you do and how much wood do you use? What kind of wood(hard or soft)? How many hours preparing the fire before you begin cooking the grub?
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Thanks Renodesertfox!!! I love sharing my recipes. This place is great to do it. About cooking on the fire, we only cook on hardwoods, oak, hickory, cherry, apple, and ash. We save the pine and softwoods for night fires. It usally only takes us an hour or two to build a good bed of coals. It might take about 20 nice pieces of wood to get there. I also split apple or hickory into small pieces so they can be added while cooking to kick up the heat. On the side of the fire we always keep a few bigger pieces to keep the coals built up. I know, it is alot of work for just some chicken, but when it is served and there are a dozen people not saying a word for the half hour that they are eating, it is well worth it. Quietness equals delicious! !! I may try it by using a second fire ring and shoveling the hot coals into it. Most campsites only have 1 firering though.
      2011 will hopefully bring more outings, which equals more cooking experiments. I must just have good luck because 9 out of 10 of my experiments turn out to be winners.

Comment

Working...
      X