Camping Grill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping Grill?

Since I've been camping we've always used the traditional fire pit to cool breakfast, lunch and dinner while tent camping. Many sites have the typical fire ring with grill, others have a little charcoal grill. But those thing can be pretty nasty and unpredictable when it comes to cooking temps.

We were looking at a little Coleman Camping Stoves, but def. don't want anything too big, but would like some wind shields. Any suggestions? What do you have?

- shane

Re: Camping Grill?

Originally posted by ShaneHale View Post
    Since I've been camping we've always used the traditional fire pit to cool breakfast, lunch and dinner while tent camping. Many sites have the typical fire ring with grill, others have a little charcoal grill. But those thing can be pretty nasty and unpredictable when it comes to cooking temps.

We were looking at a little Coleman Camping Stoves, but def. don't want anything too big, but would like some wind shields. Any suggestions? What do you have?- shane
    I have a circa 1972 Coleman 425E white fuel double burner with wind guards from CL and paid 15.00 for it. Thing of beauty, well made (pre China manufacture) and with a lil cleaning and replacement of the pump cup ( cost maybe...2 bucks) I've been quite happy for the past..2 or 3 camping seasons. I'm not a fan of propane fuel for a variety of reasons so made a conscientious effort to stay away from it.

I've also a Weber charcoal portable grill given to me as a gift. It's great for use by 1-4 people (4 is really in a pinch and depends on what yer cooking); easy to clean, compact, packs with ease and about the only downside I can recall is that the bottom burns so hot it'll burn a table cloth that it happens to be sitting on...

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-121020-G.../dp/B00004RALJ

Should you opt for a charcoal grill, I'd suggest reading on Steven Raichlen's site for great info on how to gauge temperatures using direct and indirect heat; clean and maintenance and of course great recipes and techniques.

HTH
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I have fallen in love with our snow peak fire place http://www.snowpeak.com/grills/fire-...ce-st-033.html we use it as a charcoal grill when we get to camp, and we use it for our camp fire when the stars come up! It is ultra low impact on the ground.
      unlike this placeClick image for larger version

Name:	pictures 1977.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	69253

According to the park rangers that I have spoken too, they say it is up to us national forest and national park standards.

comparison photo of what your probably use to

Click image for larger version

Name:	pictures 1411.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	69252
      Last edited by Wardrow; 03-01-2011, 03:21 PM.
      http://www.overlandadventureoutfitters.com

Comment

We have a small one that was given to us by some campers that gave up campin' when we were last out. They complained of rain and cold the entire time and vowed never to camp again. We were really loaded down with all the stuff they literally gave us when they left! Brand new the prices seem pretty steep, but I bet ebait or amazon has it for cheap, compared. Good suggestion Ward, don't remember if I welcomed you so welcome you to the our little forum! Thanks for hangin here!
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by Wardrow View Post
          I have fallen in love with our snow peak fire place http://www.snowpeak.com/grills/fire-...ce-st-033.html we use it as a charcoal grill when we get to camp, and we use it for our camp fire when the stars come up! It is ultra low impact on the ground.
          unlike this place[ATTACH=CONFIG]2890[/ATTACH]
          According to the park rangers that I have spoken too, they say it is up to us national forest and national park standards.

comparison photo of what your probably use to

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2889[/ATTACH]

Oh.My.Gawdddddddd!...I.I..I'm in total lust.
          That triangular foldable design is exactly what I've been looking for!
          The design is completely in keeping w/ the no ground fires raised base fire pits that are required in the places I've camped at.
          The price IS a tad scary when ya add on all the accessories (hey but can't you gerry rig a grill top, base plate and perhaps coal bed?) yet the convenience for storing and packing cannot be denied.
          What size do U have- medium or large?
          Can a standard grocery store piece of wood fit in it?
          Do you find the air draw and/or ash clean up is stifled by the lack of holes in the base?

Maybeeeeeeeee I'll splurge buy and thennnnnnn and then sell the mini Weber via CL but errr not my mega Weber. Still need that fer large groups.
          Last edited by NYCgrrl; 03-08-2011, 07:14 AM.
          2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I have a medium. We use a generic grate for the grilling. forget the coal bed. Those instant light fire logs work great, however you should saw them in half and stand them on end when burning, they will litterly last 2+ hours. The price for the fordable fire pit really is not that bad. I will pass mine on to my grand kids some day. They are built that well.
            http://www.overlandadventureoutfitters.com

Comment

Originally posted by Wardrow View Post
              I have a medium. We use a generic grate for the grilling. forget the coal bed. Those instant light fire logs work great, however you should saw them in half and stand them on end when burning, they will litterly last 2+ hours. The price for the fordable fire pit really is not that bad. I will pass mine on to my grand kids some day. They are built that well.
              You are right on the cost; did a cost comparable analysis and figured out that I spend $80.00 per 2 week timeframe to rent a firepit w/ no firewood included in the cost to speak of. At that rate....the Snow Peak will pay for itself in 1 - 1.5 camping seasons. As I already noted that portability of the unit is pretty much priceless for me. I think I'll try and acquire the large as it's got a height of 17" . I'm gonna make the packing case myself. A bit of canvas w/ Velcro should suit me fine and is already on premises.

Thanks for the heads up on the the accessories!...I'm gonna scavenger a grill or 2 off of another "toy" I no longer use. One day I hope my grddghtr ( of course AKA'd as The Princess:D) will look at my camping gear with pure delight. I make a point to take her every year .
              Last edited by NYCgrrl; 03-08-2011, 08:46 AM.
              2017:

Comment

Amazon has a "Saqua" portable grill for $35 clams! Should be what you want! When you get into Amazon.com just lookup foldable portable grills and there ya go! And if you purchase anything through Amazon go from the link here in CF. CF gets a small percentage return and it helps JohnJohn pay for this site. Besides ordering a tee-shirt or auto stickers from CF, linking to a seller through CF also helps promote and finance our happy chat! Hey, tell your friends about CF too, the more campateers the larger our knowledge base grows! Our motto: Every campout is just practice for the next one!

Comment

Shane, it's hard to beat a Coleman or Century 2-burner stove in white gas or propane mode, no blackened pots and no issues with temperature regulation, broken firepit grates or using up your campfire wood during the day to prepare meals. We take along a Weber Table Top propane BBQ, which does great work grilling meats for entres.
                  “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                  ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I grew-up with 2 burner white-gas coleman (my dad still has it). We purchased one when we started camping. We like it.

We also use the tripod (tho, not the one featured previously in this thread - which I'm going to have to check out). There are inexpensive units available in the camping department -- and they will do fine for starters. Just remember to move by lift by two legs and drag the third, and you won't have any trouble. Also, get a GOOD quality ball bearing swivel (from a good fishing store) so that you can gently spin the grill for even cooking. with a good no-resistance swivel, you can give it a gentle nudge with a stick (while sitting in your lawn chair), and it will coast on it's own for quite a while. You'll need to degrease with some WD occasionally. You will also need a good pliers to hold it still while you "flip" the food.
                    Our Rig....
                    2012 Ford F-150 Crew-Cab Truck w/Ecoboost (just purchased, new photo soon)
                    Nomad Joey 246 Travel Trailer, 24ft, 3 bunks, Queen, no slides, no foldouts - Floorplan
                    RempRack Pickup Bed Bike Rack (5 bikes)
                    sigpic
                    Camping and Biking with Family! The BEST!

Comment

This is what we use. http://campchef.com. I can simmer cook to my heart's delight and it folds down and stores neatly in the jeep!

Comment

Lid off a Dutch Oven.

Comment

Working...
                        X