Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roast Raccoon

Dolly's Delicious 'Coon from "Sylvia's Family Soul Food Cookbook":

Parboil the racoon until it becomes tender, simmer for 6 hours, then put it in a roasting pan spooning the liquids on occaisionally. It will tast like pork, tough not as greasy. Put barbeque sauce on as it finishes roasting...

1 5-lb raccoon
    3 large onions
    1/4 lb fatback
    2 tbs red pepper flakes
    1 tsp seasoned salt
    2 tsp salt
    2 tsp pepper
    2 tsp Accent (optional)
    2 cups chopped onion
    1 cup vinegar

Solves two problems: "What's for dinner?" and "Do something about those d*mn raccoons!"
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Re: Roast Raccoon

Of course, KILLIN' a big boar 'coon isn't for the faint of heart....... :cool:
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

My wife just came in from feeding the cats and said a raccoon had been in the cat cabin. Maybe I should try this recipe, but they are so cute.

Comment

I think of them as nothing more than Possums with a fluffy tail and better PR.......:cool:
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I've never had raccoon before I'd try it though. Somewhere around here I have a cookbook that i got from the Missouri State Conservation Department that has a recipe for skunk

Comment

Make sure you cook or grill your raccoon to well-done, as they're big time carriers of rabies. I wouldn’t recommend them with exception of an extreme need situation. Taste like pork, they say? I don’t think so…

As for catching and killing a bore coon…A can of tuna for bait, a flashlight and a 410 shotgun with small game load at night isn’t that difficult.

SKUNK!!! Really! Just because there's a recipe doesn't mean you need to try it!
            Last edited by busere; 01-19-2012, 10:42 AM.
            2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Comment

When I was living out in Indiana I worked with a man who was homeless for two years. He would talk about eating raccoon. He also talked about eating road kill and skunk was one of them. He would say you don’t realize what you would eat if you have nothing else to fill your belly. I know skunk would be the last thing I would try. I would eat worms first. They don’t smell as bad.

Comment

Speaking from experiance...earth worms are not that bad.
                2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Comment

I found my cookbook. "Cy Littlebee's Guide To Cooking Fish and Game, From the Missouri Department of Conservation.
                  "Skin, clean skunk and remove the scent glands. [ut in a strong solutoin of saltwater and parboil for about 15 minutes. Drain and add fresh water and season steam for about 1 hour or until tender." this book also has recipes for raccoon as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X