Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood Burning Camp Cook Stoves (Backpackable)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Burning Camp Cook Stoves (Backpackable)

I just ordered a couple wood burning camp cook stoves...one smaller, onelarger!

For the small one I ordered Emberlit in Titanium and for the larger one, Iordered the Littlbug Sr. My wife and I wanted both so we could cook largermeals together.

If anyone has any advice for either of these stoves, I love to hear fromyou! Thanks!

http://www.emberlit.com/default.php
    http://www.littlbug.com/index.htm

Rodney :cool:
    Last edited by busere; 01-18-2012, 10:11 AM. Reason: Added Links
    2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Re: Wood Burning Camp Cook Stoves (Backpackable)

No advice for you, but I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences using them.
    Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

I bet I could make one of those ember lit stoves. I don't have any first hand use of that specific brand, but I am familar with the type of stove it is. I think you will be more than satisfied with it. It's principal is the same as a "rocket stove" that I made. If you can will you please post the dimesions of the stove when you recieve it?

Great something else to put on my "to do" list.....

Comment

Lol, shawn... your "to do" list is really starting to get pretty big. Maybe you need to take some vacation and work on that list.
        Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Well, Shawn… I would give you the dimensions, but that pushes a little past the limits of my integrity. And I have a lot of respect for the designer of the Emberlit. Plus, the stainless steel version is priced low enough to negate any reason to DIY. So…why not support a small American business when you get the chance? :cool:

Comment

Actually I already have a design in mind to make. I don't feel that I need to spend a minimum of $35 plus shipping for something I can make out of materials I already have on hand. But to copy my design, you may need to spend $3 at Home Depot, if you don't have the material on hand. I also don't feel the to pay someone else to change the oil in my truck, but that's the way I am. I like the challenge of looking at something and seeing if I can build it. I made a couple of versions of the "rocket stoves" for no cost, just a trip to the recycling center. I made the bush buddy stove, similar to your little bug stove, for about $5 in parts from Home Depot. The bush buddy stove retails for almost $100. I could of spent $90 on a para cord hammock but I didn't. I just spent $15 for the para cord and weaved a hammock while it was cold and snowing outside. I also plan to make an alcohol burning stove out of Budweiser aluminum bottle, as soon as I can score a few.
            Course one my favorites is when people go out and buy an esbit pocket stoves for $10.50 from REI and I pick up a trioxide stove for $1.99. Or I could just use a Altoids tin with trioxide bar in it. Don't get me started on the many uses of a Altoids tin......
            It's your money, spend it how you see fit and I will spend mine how I see fit.

Comment

Just by looking at their video, I could recreate it fairly easily by prototyping with some posterboard or foam core board. Then cutting pieces out of 14-16ga aluminum or steel plate. Stainless is harder to cut but can be done.
              A LOT of camping gear can be fabricated at home, maybe not to exact replica of the commercial stuff, but you can make serviceable copies or a similar item.
              When I was in the SCA, I learned a lot about woodcraft, leathercraft, and metalcraft. Add to this knowing how to sew and a few other skills, and if I have the tools and materials available, I can make a LOT of things. I could probably make my own sleeping bag, but I really don't want to put out the effort, so I buy one some guy in Vietnam stitched together and exported to REI.

As far as this stove in particular, I can understand reluctance to share someone's "trade secrets" but really, they gave it all away in the video. You can get a good guestimate of the dimensions just looking at it.

I wouldn't pay the money for one of these, not because I could make one myself, but I would prefer to leave nature as i find it instead of burning up all the deadfall i find.
              Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Anyways...if you enjoy building/making things yourself...great. If you know it or not, everything has a cost. One of the ways that DIY projects cost has nothing to do with materials and tools...it has to do with time. For me, being in the Navy, having a wife and a son, taking my son to BMX races, hunting, fishing and camping takes up most of my time...I'd rather be doing that then a multitude of DIY projects.

BTW...Shadow, Aren’t you kneeling in front of a camp fire in your Avatar picture?

Comment

Ok, so one of you needs the convenience of buying things from a manufacturer. The other would rather see if he can make similar items with his own hands. The awesome thing is that in this here great country, both of you can have it the way you want it (at least for now).

No reason for anyone to get bent out of shape, right?

Life is a verb.

Comment

Originally posted by busere View Post
                    BTW...Shadow, Aren’t you kneeling in front of a camp fire in your Avatar picture?

yes.. you have correctly identified that pile of flaming wood to be a camp fire.

I was, however, not burning deadfall from the forest. This was wood I actually brought from home that was once a tree in the back yard.
                    I don't glean wood from the forest floor except in a survival situation. I either bring my own wood, or purchase it from the Park volunteers.
                    Last edited by Shadow; 01-19-2012, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow View Post
                      yes.. you have correctly identified that pile of flaming wood to be a camp fire.

I was, however, not burning deadfall from the forest. This was wood I actually brought from home that was once a tree in the back yard.
                      I don't glean wood from the forest floor except in a survival situation. I either bring my own wood, or purchase it from the Park volunteers.
                      And that's fine, but in Virginia, it's illegal to bring in your own wood for camping...you have to use dead fall. We have this little destructive bug that they're trying to keep under control. Bringing in your own fire wood in Virginia...can kill a lot of live trees. Here, park officials would rather you use dead fall. I'd also rather people use dead fall than propane...dead fall is at least a renewable fuel source. Plus, when backpacking, fuel bottles...I don't want carry them in and out. When the bottles are empty, that's extra dead weight. I know by your other post, asking about backpacks, you're new to the idea this type of camping...minimize your load weight, if you haven’t noticed on the forums, is a common mantra. Also, we're not talking about a bon-fire here...it's a twig burner that minimizes the use of fuel by being as efficient as possible.

Comment

And that's fine, but in Virginia, it's illegal to bring in your own wood for camping...you have to use dead fall. We have this little destructive bug that they're trying to keep under control. Bringing in your own fire wood in Virginia...can kill a lot of live trees. Here, park officials would rather you use dead fall. I'd also rather people use dead fall than propane...dead fall is at least a renewable fuel source. Plus, when backpacking, fuel bottles...I don't want carry them in and out. When the bottles are empty, that's extra dead weight. I know by your other post, asking about backpacks, you're new to the idea this type of camping...minimize your load weight, if you haven’t noticed on the forums, is a common mantra. Also, we're not talking about a bon-fire here...it's a twig burner that minimizes the use of fuel by being as efficient as possible.
                        The problem here is that you are saying the way shadow does things is wrong. Who are you to tell her such a thing? You two have different ways of doing the same thing and both of them have merit. Being able to change the way one does things in different situations is extremely valuable out in the field, wouldn't you agree?

There are places where you are not allowed to use dead fall so bringing your own wood or some other fuel is necessary if you are going to have a fire.

Personally, I use dead fall where I am allowed, isobutane/propane with my Jetboil everywhere and every time, and a few times while car camping I have hauled in my own wood. Keeping your options open allows greater flexibility in where and when you can go.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Ah well, you have a different situation there if they are requiring you to use deadfall. Here in Texas, using deadfall is banned. You can get a $500 fine for using deadfall. Opposite problem.. If the park encouraged using deadfall, then I probably would.

Also where did I say I was bringing propane cylinders on a backpacking trip? I would never consider bringing a heavy bulky steel can of gas fuel that was not refillable along on a backpacking trip. Might as well bring a boat anchor. You would have to be a nut or trying to prove something if you did that. I plan on bringing an ultralight alcohol stove and a headlamp when I backpack.

OH BTW from the Texas State Parks website.
                          (h) Fires, Firewood, Smoking and Fireworks. Portable gas-fueled camp stoves may be used in designated campsites or picnic areas; however, it is an offense for any person to:

light, build, or maintain a fire within a state park except in a facility or device provided, maintained, or designated for such purposes or to smoke or build fires when an extreme fire hazard has been posted by the department or a burn ban has been instituted by local government ordinance;
                          gather firewood except when authorized by permit;
                          leave a fire unattended; or
                          possess within a state park any fireworks, explosives, or similar devices capable of explosion, or to discharge, set off, or cause to be discharged in or into a state park any such device or substance, except with written authorization from the director.
                          Last edited by Shadow; 01-20-2012, 05:49 PM.

Comment

I think busere was talking about the type of cans that one would use with an MSR Pocket Rocket like, http://www.rei.com/product/660163/ms...kpacking-stove

Or with a Jetboil (what I use) like, http://www.rei.com/product/813622/jetboil-sol-stove

The great thing about the Jetboil is that they are so efficient that it takes forever to use an entire canister of fuel. On a backpacking trip, the longer you are out, the less your pack weighs. For me, the convenience and absolute reliability of a Jetboil is well worth humping out the few ounces an empty can supplies.

Not trying to hijack the thread, just trying to see if I could clear that up.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Thanks, ben, you did. I'd rather not carry the fuel, and the Ti Emberlit ishalf the weight as the Jetboil, yet weighs more then the pocket rocket by 2ounces...not including the fuel can. Plus, you can use the Emberlit as a windscreen for an alcohol burner

I wasn't trying to say that her way was wrong anymore then she was saying myway was wrong. One of the problems with forums like this, is the inability tosee peoples expression. The intent of communication can be slightly mistaken.

Rodney
                              Last edited by busere; 01-20-2012, 07:06 PM. Reason: to add...

Comment

Working...
                              X