Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood Burning Camp Cook Stoves (Backpackable)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wood Burning Camp Cook Stoves (Backpackable)

Originally posted by immortal_ben View Post
    I think busere was talking about the type of cans that one would use with an MSR Pocket Rocket like, http://www.rei.com/product/660163/ms...kpacking-stove

Or with a Jetboil (what I use) like, http://www.rei.com/product/813622/jetboil-sol-stove

The great thing about the Jetboil is that they are so efficient that it takes forever to use an entire canister of fuel. On a backpacking trip, the longer you are out, the less your pack weighs. For me, the convenience and absolute reliability of a Jetboil is well worth humping out the few ounces an empty can supplies.

Not trying to hijack the thread, just trying to see if I could clear that up.
    Well, he mentioned propane, then talked about fuel bottles so I assumed he was still talking about using propane while backpacking. Yeah well I can understand about the fuel bottles but I was just going to get a small plastic bottle and put a few ounces of alcohol in it.

I have seen the jetboil things but I have no experience with them. I've made a small alcohol burner out of a coke can and it boiled a bit of water in a not unreasonable amount of time. The main thing I like is that I can make an alcohol stove for free, and the jetboil is expensive.
    I might get one later on, but only if i decide that I am going to stick with backpacking as a hobby or just stay a car camper.

Those jetboil/pocket rocket fuel cans? Are they refillable or use and trash?
    If I do end up getting a fuel bottle for the alcohol i will probably pick up one of these http://www.rei.com/product/783962/ms...p-cap-11-fl-oz
    The empty weight of the bottle is only 2.8 ounces, and at 11 fluid ounces capacity, it should be plenty for a couple days backpacking trip. Once ounce of alcohol seems to burn forever on those can stoves.
    Last edited by Shadow; 01-20-2012, 06:59 PM.
    Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Originally posted by busere View Post
      Thanks, ben, you did. I'd rather not carry the fuel, and the Ti Emberlit is half the weight as the Jetboil.
      Ah ok, we got that straightened out. I am not saying that people shouldn't use the Emberlit or those kind of things, I am just saying that *I* won't (unless situations require it)

Comment

Your alcohol burner, you made it out of a coke can? I have a friend thatmade one of the Budweiser aluminum bottle that came out real nice and burns great.
        2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Comment

I picked up a stainless steel water bottle from goodwill for a dollar, so it's ear marked for the bottle alcohol stove.
          Bus,
          Did you check out YouTube for videos/reviews of your stove?

Comment

Shadow, the can you linked to should not be used for carrying alcohol, as the alcohol will eat away at the seal. Funny that you brought those canisters up, because I was reading up on them literally about an hour ago. I have been reading that a lot of people are taking their alcohol in an old plastic soda bottle. The isobutane/propane mix canisters are not refillable.

busere, I would not be opposed to using something like the Emberlit and have thought about buying one a few times, but the Jetboil allows me to have a "cooking" fire no matter where I am be it rain, snow, boat, dune desert... you get the drift. I just do not have to worry about it unless it gets down well below freezing or I am at really high elevation. That is why I am looking at liquid fuel stoves, for use at really high altitude or cold, cold camping. The Jetboil Sol Ti weighs in at 8.5oz sans fuel, so that's pretty darn good.

shawn, same thing about the alcohol and the cap seal for your fuel bottle.
            Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Originally posted by immortal_ben View Post
              Shadow, the can you linked to should not be used for carrying alcohol, as the alcohol will eat away at the seal. Funny that you brought those canisters up, because I was reading up on them literally about an hour ago. I have been reading that a lot of people are taking their alcohol in an old plastic soda bottle. The isobutane/propane mix canisters are not refillable.

busere, I would not be opposed to using something like the Emberlit and have thought about buying one a few times, but the Jetboil allows me to have a "cooking" fire no matter where I am be it rain, snow, boat, dune desert... you get the drift. I just do not have to worry about it unless it gets down well below freezing or I am at really high elevation. That is why I am looking at liquid fuel stoves, for use at really high altitude or cold, cold camping. The Jetboil Sol Ti weighs in at 8.5oz sans fuel, so that's pretty darn good.

shawn, same thing about the alcohol and the cap seal for your fuel bottle.
              Ah good to know about the REI bottles. I hadn't researched them just saw them on the shelf when I was last at REI and thought they looked the right size. Yeah, I am planning on getting one of the 16oz (or 8oz if I can find one) coke bottles this time around to store the fuel in. I was just thinking the other bottles might be tougher. I didn't think about it but yeah the O-ring in them would probably deteriorate.

Comment

I might not have thought about it at first either. I was reading reviews on them and a review mentioned the seal + alcohol being bad juju.

Honestly, a soda bottle is lighter and probably tougher than the can. It will not crack, permanently dent, chip its paint, etc. One would only have to worry about punctures.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Originally posted by busere View Post
                  Your alcohol burner, you made it out of a coke can? I have a friend thatmade one of the Budweiser aluminum bottle that came out real nice and burns great.
                  Yeah, I forget where I originally saw how to make it, but all i needed was a pair of scissors. I am going to make more of them to perfect my technique because my first one has an air leak. There are lots of videos about how to make them online.

I might look around for some of those alum bottles and try those since they would maybe be tougher.

EDIT: FOund the video I got the idea from. http://youtu.be/eRt8mNOP2b0

I realize by rewatching the video that I skipped a couple steps in the construction that explains why mine is not working as good as I thought it should.
                  Last edited by Shadow; 01-20-2012, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Ben, I can understand the need for a Jetboil, but I can't see paying the price. With the cheapest Jetboil (Zip) being $74, plus the constant cost of the fuel. Granted, I'm getting ready to pay $2000+ for a 12 man Kifaru Tipi with an Arctic Stove. Which BTW, I can't believe my wife said "YES" to!!!!! I'm a little over excited about that.

Shadow, sometimes I wonder if the Research and Development guys from some of these companies are on crack. Interesting aspect on O-rings, there are O-ring materials out there that will not degrade with Alcohol...we use them all the time in the Navy for fuel systems...and they don't cost any more than regular O-rings. Why these companies cut corners is beyond me.
                    Last edited by busere; 01-21-2012, 04:24 AM. Reason: When I post...for some reason my words get smashed together.

Comment

http://www.everyoring.com has every O-ring material listed and their uses.

Comment

True, about some o-rings. Great link, Deathss!

I am jealous about the Kifaru Tipi, man. Seriously jealous.

Life is a verb.

Comment

I've been saving money for a long time for a good heated tent. We were looking at canvas wall tents with conventional wood burning stoves...but, unless you have a pack-mule...you're not packing them in to anywhere. Either way you're going floorless, you can get screen doors for both, but the Kifaru is a single center pole, light weight and the stove is in the center instead of in a corner of the tent. A 12 person tipi with an arctic stove weighs in at 19 lbs 12 oz, and that's with a 12 foot stove pipe! Well, I'd add a pound to that for the bug netting and zippers...so, we'll say 20 lbs 12 oz. My wife wouldn't go with out screen doors. And we never camp in the same spot long enough to warent a canvas wall tent.

Comment

Yeah, a buddy and I are thinking of going in together on a Kifaru Tipi. I have several of their items on my wish list.

Life is a verb.

Comment

You guys know that I like building my own stuff, so I think if you made a stove out of ammo box you could save a dime or $300-$400. How much do the Kifaru Tipi's weigh? Just the tipi, no stove? Is that some thing you would carry as you hike or is it a base camp shelter? I saw the weight in Busere's post.

Comment

The awesome thing about the Kifaru stoves is that they collapse for extended backpacking/hunting trips out in the wilderness. So do the pipes. Yes, you throw them in/on your pack and head out with em.

The 24 man Tipi weighs 27lb 13oz and they have sizes down to a 4 man which weighs 5lb 5oz. Then they have a couple of tarp type shelters and a couple that are a cross between a tent and a tipi.

The one busere is ordering weighs 11lb 01oz. I want the tipi because you do not have to worry about getting holes in the bottom, taking off boots when you enter, tons of room, even to stand, and optional skeeter netting.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Working...
                                X