Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood Burning Camp Cook Stoves (Backpackable)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wood Burning Camp Cook Stoves (Backpackable)

What is the purpose of the insulation in the penny stove? Is it to act like a sponge? Out of all the video's on making alcohol stoves that is the first one I saw that suggested using insulation. The to do list today includes making a alcohol stove out of a stainless steel drinking bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by busere View Post
      ..here's the link to the video I went by to build my alcohol burner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2p9b...eature=related
      cool. that's a different configuration from the type i have been building, i think im going to make one of thjese and compare efficiency between the two.
      Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

The only thing I can think of is a sponge. It's a fire retardant material. Maybe they figure it'll make the stove more efficient…maybe.
        2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Comment

I got my bottles cut down and put the JB Weld on them. I will drill the holes tomorrow when I get home from work. And do a little burn test. I did make my daughters Ramen soup in the garage yesterday. I used a military surplus trioxane stove and a gel wax coated cotton ball. I had a flame for over 18 minutes.

Comment

BTW...I'm finding that after a few burns, the fiberglass leaves a kind of...nasty chared smell. Maybe, I'lll make one without the fiberglass.

Comment

Well, After some experamenting...Fiberglass = better efficiancy and smoother burn.

Comment

Yeah, I think the fiberglass is just to keep the alcohol from flying everywhere if you accidentally drop something on it or kick it over. I know I'd hate to drop a coffee cup on the corner and have it catapult burning fuel all over my face.
                Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

So, on a local Virginia forum (Obsesive Compolsive Backpackers), we were having a discussion about twig burning stoves. someone made the point that open fires, meaning solid fuel fires were not allowed in the Shenandoah National Park, therefore, the Emberlit would not be able to be used. Now, I'm not one to take information like that and live with it from someone that I don't know and the Shenandoah website info was from 2007...I want to hear it from the horses mouth, so I called the National Forest Service office at Shenandoah. This is what they said...

1. The 2007 information is outdated.
                  2. To the National Park Service, "Open Fire" is defined as a "Ring of Rocks" camp fire. It is no longer seen as solid fuel fires (Contrary to the FAQ section of their website).
                  3. Gas camp stoves are allowed (Contrary to the FAQ section of their website).
                  4. Twig burning camp stoves that have a bottom plate that keeps the fire contained are considered enclosed and are allowed. However, you still have to think of safety (clear area of leaf litter, don't be an idiot...etc).

Just thought I'd share this info.

Comment

Whoa-ho! This is a heated one! I appreciate both perspectives: it's great purchasing quality products that bring you convenience and save you time and money but it's also nice to DIY. For example, I'm an avid cyclist but a poor bike mechanic. That doesn't stop me from trying to fix and maintain my bicycle even though I would save a ton of time simply taking it to the shop. For me, it's about learning the skills and accepting the challenge. Sometimes, however, I just don't feel like dealing with the headache and would rather pay someone to do the work I could eventually figure out on my own because I don't want to spend the time. Here's a happy medium, I've seen a foldable pocket cooker for about $12 on this site's camping equipment section. It uses natural fuel and won't bust a whole in your wallet.

Comment

they should probably update that website, it must lead loads of campers running out the day before the trip to buy a different and completely unnecessary stove.

I have an emberlit and I find it really good, its lightweight, it wasnt expensive and (until now, fingers crossed) it hasnt let me down. When I camped as a boy the job carrying the fuel was always the worst one, was always so awkward to pack and really heavy. also simple to assemble as I had problems with that with my last stove.

Comment

timmy, do you have the titanium or the stainless?

Comment

Has anyone had a the opportunity to compare the Bushbuddy and Emberlit stoves? They both seem to have the better designs of the few that are available.

Comment

I can tell you right now, the big diffrence between the two, is the packability of the Emberlit UL. It folds flat and only weighs 5 ounces, it's unnoticable in your pack. Simply the shape and size of the bush buddy makes it less desirable to me. The Bushbuddy my heat water better, I don't know, I've never used one...But I'd sacrifice a minute or two of heat-up time for the drop in weight and packability.

Comment

The low volume packability of the Emberlit UL is exactly what makes it so attractive - I could take it as a back-up in case the regular stove runs out of fuel or...? I have to admit that I am very partial to cooking with wood heat.

Comment

I bought one of these heat exchangers from ChimneyHeaters.com and it is Stainless Steel. The rest of the pipes in my house are Copper and some plastic. I get a tremendous amount of heat from this thing and I am worried that it will melt the copper or plastic tubing.

The heat coming out of the Chimney Heater is about 190f does anyone know if this is to hot for the copper or Plastic pipes in my House?

Comment

Working...
                                X