Dutch oven tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dutch oven tip

if you are going to be baking multiple things in secession in your dutch oven, try using those disposable pie tins or cake tins. This will allow a quicker transfer time between the items. I am getting ready to do a green bean casserole followed by desert (blueberry dump cake). I will be using pie tins, so I don't have to clean between each meal, also there won't be much cooling of the dutch oven that way.
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Re: Dutch oven tip

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Bookmarked. Great tips.
      I've no house in the city, just a camping tent in the wild.

Comment

i use tinfoil myself

Comment

I've also used tinfoil in the past, but I will try a pie tin next time. Great idea!

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
            if you are going to be baking multiple things in secession in your dutch oven, try using those disposable pie tins or cake tins. This will allow a quicker transfer time between the items. I am getting ready to do a green bean casserole followed by desert (blueberry dump cake). I will be using pie tins, so I don't have to clean between each meal, also there won't be much cooling of the dutch oven that way.
            Sorry to be a dummy, but could you elaborate? Do you mean that you put your food to be cooked into a pie tin and put the pie tin into the Dutch oven? I am not sure that a standard pie tin would fit into my Dutch Oven. Is there any pie tin you have found that works best? ie the disposable aluminum pans, etc?

I suppose that you have to have some method to retrieve the hot pie tin from inside the hot Dutch Oven as well. Any hints for doing that?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
              Do you mean that you put your food to be cooked into a pie tin and put the pie tin into the Dutch oven? I am not sure that a standard pie tin would fit into my Dutch Oven.
              Yep, I used a regular pie tin in my 12" dutch oven. They also make dutch oven liners. *ou can google those if you need to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhRW7_Jzjuo

Comment

Once an oven has been used for awhile it can usually be cleaned with a rinse of water and maybe a paper towel.

Comment

Originally posted by ppine View Post
                  Once an oven has been used for awhile it can usually be cleaned with a rinse of water and maybe a paper towel.
                  The point was not to cool the D.O. with water. I took the green bean casserole (in the pie tin) out of the D.O. and put the dump cake in without any heat loss. If you are going to rinse it with water, you will cool the D.O. There for you will have to heat it up again, wasting time and fuel. . Using a pie tin just saves on clean up time, and heat source if you are using the D.O. to make multiple dishes in succession.

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                    The point was not to cool the D.O. with water. I took the green bean casserole (in the pie tin) out of the D.O. and put the dump cake in without any heat loss. If you are going to rinse it with water, you will cool the D.O. There for you will have to heat it up again, wasting time and fuel. . Using a pie tin just saves on clean up time, and heat source if you are using the D.O. to make multiple dishes in succession.
                    cool water on hot cast iron is a great way to crack it.
                    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                    – E. B. White

Comment

I use multiple ovens. When food is cooked they come off the fire and sit for awhile, dinner is eaten, then they sit some more. They are cool by the time they need to be cleaned. If one oven is in constant use then "loss of heat" would be an issue and the idea of using pie plates is a good one.

Comment

Help me out with this too. It seems like the pie plate would be to shallow. Do you just kind of mash it down in there to form to the side of the oven? It seems like aluminum foil would be better suited for that.
                        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                        – E. B. White

Comment

we have a 12" dutch oven that we use for all kinds of cooking and baking...
                          my housemate has made muffins using a disposable aluminum muffin pan.
                          he's also baked off canned biscuits...
                          I use both disposable and regular baking pans in the dutch oven for desserts, as well as just the oven itself
                          to cook main dishes...

Comment

Working...
                          X