Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Coffee

Howdy,

Days are shorter now and some folks probably have some snow too. Here's a little drink that I like to make while off-season camping to chase the chill away before retiring for the evening into the warm comfort of the sleeping bag.

1- teaspoon brown sugar
    1- 2 ounce pour of Irish whiskey(usually more expensive than any American Whiskey). Stir the brown sugar until dissolved into the whiskey. Do not pour the whiskey onto the brown sugar, that will shock the brown sugar. Once the brown sugar is dissolved and while waiting for the coffee to brew. In a separate bowl whip with a spoon 4 ounces or so of heavy whipping cream, until lathered. Cheaters could use a can of whipping cream or a small bit of "cool whip" but I donot use it. It is not the same as heavy whipping cream.
    1-cup of coffee or Americano(espresso with hot water added).

With the convex side of the spoon pour the whipping cream over the spoon and onto the cup of coffee. Add a dash of cinnamon. Serve.
    Please drink responsibly.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Re: Irish Coffee

Well you just gave us our Christmas Day drink. Thanks for the info!! You guys rock for sure.

Peace
    The Tampa Pirate

Comment

I'm a big fan of the Buena Vista Cafe, where Irish Coffee made its return to America in November 10th, 1952, just as they serve at The Shannon Airport in Ireland. We duplicate their version, except our coffee brand is different. We use Tullamore Dew Irish whiskey, as does the Buena Vista.

Ingredients
      • some hot water
      • six ounces of hot, fresh brewed coffee
      • two cocktail sugar cubes
      • a jigger (or shot) of your favorite Irish whiskey
      • fresh (preferably homemade) whipped cream
      Directions

To start off, you will need to fill your empty glass with the hot water to preheat the glass. After you fill it, let it preheat the glass for a few seconds and then proceed to dump the water out. Follow by pouring the freshly brewed coffee into the glass until it is about three quarters of the way filled. Then, place the two cocktail sugar cubes into the mix. Stir the mixture until the sugar cubes have dissolved. You can then add the shot or jigger of your favorite Irish whiskey into the coffee and sugar mix. Stir again. Then using a warm spoon, flip it over, and let the homemade whipped cream carefully slide over the spoon’s back and onto your Irish coffee mixture. You want to make sure that the whipped cream does not break into the Irish coffee’s surface.
      Last edited by tplife; 12-23-2010, 11:58 AM.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

That's pretty much how I started the thread too TP, except mine is with brown sugar! And I do like your choice of Irish Whiskey! HaHa!:D

Here's a little twist...we use Starbucks beans so make a pot of coffee, fill your cup with Joe, then put in a teaspoon full of hot coco mix, stir. Next pour one ounce shot of Disaronno in the morning. One can add sugar if you want, it's totally up to the individual. Enjoy! Merry C-mas everyone!:cool:
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

According to Buena Vista owner Bob Freeman, Tullamore Dew is what they started with in '52 until they switched to a private blend made by the Cooley distillery in County Louth, Ireland. They switched back to the Tullamore Dew in 2006. Everything we use in our recipe is like the original, except of course the brand of coffee.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”

Comment

The Buena Vista, in San Francisco? That brings back memories. I had an apartment on Russian Hill and after a few at the BV, going home up the hill was like climbing a ladder. I had a bed, however, not a cot.
            When I awoke, the Dire Wolf
            Six hundred pounds of sin
            Was grinning at my window
            All I said was, "Come on in".

Comment

Originally posted by Oldcoyote View Post
              The Buena Vista, in San Francisco? That brings back memories. I had an apartment on Russian Hill and after a few at the BV, going home up the hill was like climbing a ladder. I had a bed, however, not a cot.
              No doubt stuffed underneath like mine with ThermaRest pads, ammo tins and high-cap mags! :cool:

Comment

Working...
              X