Default GSI Aluminum Duch Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default GSI Aluminum Duch Oven

Just came back from a 3 day 2 night canoe trip down the Suwannee River (had a great time). Cooked beef stew in a thin pot, got a little burn on the bottom. Would love to have a cast iron dutch oven along, but I don't want to pay the weight penalty for cast iron. Looking at the GSI Aluminum Dutch Oven in 12 inch. The catch: the 12 inch has legs to be used in a coal bed. Not what I want on my coleman stove. Has anyone ever cut off the legs on a aluminum dutch oven? I'm thinking I can cut them off and grind down the remnants to make it flat.

Or, any suggestions for another dutch oven/pot to use that is similar in weight to aluminum?

Re: GSI Aluminum Duch Oven

Good advice snapper aluminum dutch ovens are really not reliable and very hard to clean!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Yes I too would avoid the Aluminum dutch oven. I had two. One was never used because of how hard they were to clean. I couldn't even sell them at our yard sale so I took them to the scrap yard along with a barrel of aluminum cans and sold them for scrap.

Comment

OK, so I am changing my question. What thick bottomed pot do people use?

Comment

6 quart cast iron, just nothin better than that when weight is of a concern. Sure we car camp, but have a Tandem 17' Old Town Kayak that we have taken on lakes to remote spots and have always made room for our cast iron! Heats evenly, cooks thoroughly without the scorch, simple clean up - just wipe it out and your good to go! We take a ton of cast iron camping from skillet to bread pan but there is nothing better than our 6 qt. Over an open fire or a small propane stove nothin beats cast iron! Besides there's more room in a canoe than a 'yak!

Comment

Re: Default GSI Aluminum Duch Oven

You might consider the GSI pressure cooker instead of a Dutch Oven. It is lighter weight and can cook pretty much the same stuff. You can bake in a Dutch Oven too if you use an interior pan and toss in a couple of small stones in the bottom of the pot to keep the pan from being directly on the bottom of the pot.

Pressure cookers cook dry beans in about 20 minutes instead of hours, so you can have baked beans or any kind of bean stew.

I have a GSI pressure cooker and i love it.

Comment

OK, so which 6 quart. Lodge seems to be most popular and heaviest. Would like one deeper versus wider.

Comment

And here's a 4 quart without legs:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16224741?a...l5=pla&veh=sem

Comment

There is a ten inch that comes with separate legs that you can use on a fire. I have one that I use a lot on a propane stove on canoe trips. Only sometimes in a fire. It works fine.

Any DO can be used on the grates of a gas stove in the woods or at home. Sometimes you have to rotate the oven so that all of the legs miss the grates.

It is considered sacrelidge in some circles to consider cutting the legs off of a DO.

Comment

Working...
                  X