Weber brand marinates for bean stews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weber brand marinates for bean stews

I love beans. I am one of those folks who thinks we could save the world and end starvation with beans.

In these cold winter months, few things are as good as bean stews including chili made thick with beans.

A one dollar pound of beans will make a gallon of stew. Add a can of corn or tomatoes, some carrots, Celery, some meat or sausages or hot dogs. Put up a pan of cornbread or noodles or rice and you have a delicious satisfying meal for a hungry group of four or five adults for about five dollars: around a dollar per person (and have left-overs as well)

If you employ the use of a pressure cooker, you can cook dry beans into a delicious stew in less than thirty minutes - saving time and fuel.

Of course, simple boiled bean stew can get pretty mundane. Even chile stew can get tiresome after awhile.

A nice variety changer is to add some of the wide variety of meat marinates to flavor your bean stews.

I recently found that the Weber brand has a fun variety of marinates that work well and cost under a dollar per package. One package is enough to flavor over a gallon of bean stew. Some flavors include Chipotle, black peppercorn, Southern Whiskey, Mesquite, White Wine and Herb Tomato Garlic Pesto. They also have a line of marinates that you add fruit juice such as orange juice.

Of course, there are many brands of marinates besides Weber and the variety avaialable today at a good grocer is exciting.

Last edited by Mike; 01-05-2014, 04:19 PM.

Re: Weber brand marinates for bean stews

The flavors look great. Sure hope that they are not laden with MSG. My wife makes her own from soy sauce, garlic, onions, and other spices.
    Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
    sigpic

Comment

This is a good sign, you're approaching real cooking here and edging into gumbo and teriyakis. Time to put in for bottles of marin and soy sauce, pork sausage and 6-bean mix pouches. The pre-made marinades for meats can be soaked in ziplocks and then frozen before treks for use right out of the bag.
      Last edited by tplife; 01-06-2014, 12:18 PM.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

On the subject of beans I ordered a shipment of heritage beans from Rancho Gordo late last year.Seriously yummy in the tummy.
        Those Weber marinades look tasty but I'll need to check the nutrition content. Some of us have health concerns that limit and because of that I often make my own seasoning or at least buy ones with no salt added.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
          On the subject of beans I ordered a shipment of heritage beans from Rancho Gordo late last year.Seriously yummy in the tummy.
          Those Weber marinades look tasty but I'll need to check the nutrition content. Some of us have health concerns that limit and because of that I often make my own seasoning or at least buy ones with no salt added.
          Yes, I can understand the need for making low sodium adjustments to your recipes and diet. Eventually we all end up there, but for the time being for me, I can still flavor foods with reckless abandon

I would be interested in learning about some of the low sodium ingredients and methods you use

Comment

BTW, in addition to using marinades for flavoring soups and stews, powdered salad dressing mixes can also provide new and delicious flavor varieties

Powdered Ranch Dressing is good for bean based stews as is hot bacon dressing mix

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
              Yes, I can understand the need for making low sodium adjustments to your recipes and diet. Eventually we all end up there, but for the time being for me, I can still flavor foods with reckless abandon

I would be interested in learning about some of the low sodium ingredients and methods you use
              Wellllll.........I tend to make sodium free stocks as well as purchase or blend seasonings w/ o salt. When I started doing this some years back (alright, alright, it's decades now. Time seems to fly when you're having fun:D), the man spent a lot of time rolling his eyes and eating salt encrusted pretzels with wild abandon. Not sure if I brainwashed him over time or if it was the doc issuing high blood meds that did it but he's now a convert. Understand that I still use salt but since it's not in base ingredients..I'm using substantially less in the final dish. I also use various herbs and spices, fresh or dried, in larger quantities than when I first began cooking; gives a bigger flavour boost tthat kinda weans your taste buds off the salt it can be come accustomed to. I'm trying to think this thru and it's so much 2nd nature to me now that well it's hard, lol. Absolutely, I use more herb/spice seasoning than some do. I prolly started with increased amts of garlic since my mother's doc recommended it when she was first diagnosed with igh blood pressure back in the mid 70's.

I'll try to think more on this in a coherent manner when I'm not thinking my bed would be a great place to be.
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
              X