Oven Roasted Home Fries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven Roasted Home Fries

I'm sure I could make this dish completely at the campsite but I become a totally lazy lima bean on vac:p. So if yer like me and despise working hard in the morning give this a try.

Recipe adapted from cook's Illustrated Jan 2012

Serves 6 to 8

Don’t skip the baking soda in this recipe. It’s critical for home fries with just the right crisp texture.
    Ingredients

• 3 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ¾-inch dice
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 12 pieces
    • Kosher salt and pepper
    • Pinch cayenne pepper
    • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
    • 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    • 2 onions, cut into ½-inch dice
    • 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives(optional)
    • 2 bell peppers,cut into ½-inch dice

Instructions

1. Adjust oven rack to lowest position, place rimmed baking sheet on rack, and heat oven to 500 degrees.

2. Bring 10 cups water to boil in Dutch oven over high heat. Add potatoes and baking soda. Return to boil and cook for 1 minute. Drain potatoes. Return potatoes to Dutch oven and place over low heat. Cook, shaking pot occasionally, until any surface moisture has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add butter, 1½ teaspoons salt, garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne; mix with rubber spatula until potatoes are coated with thick, starchy paste, about 30 seconds.

3. Remove baking sheet from oven and drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil. Transfer potatoes to baking sheet and spread into even layer. Roast for 15 minutes. While potatoes roast, combine onions, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and ½ teaspoon salt in bowl.

4. Remove baking sheet from oven. Using thin, sharp metal spatula, scrape and turn potatoes. Clear about 8 by 5-inch space in center of baking sheet and add onion mixture. Roast for 15 minutes.

5. Scrape and turn again, mixing onions into potatoes. Continue to roast until potatoes are well browned and onions are softened and beginning to brown, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in chives and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately. Or allow home fries to cool to room temperature, then place them, still on baking tray, within freezer for an hour. Place in freezer bag(s). To reheat, take your frozen taters and shuffle them around on a dry frying pan to defrost, gradually increasing the heat to recrisp them. Add a tiny bit of oil if they start to stick, but they probably wont. They're done when they're hot.

Here's a picture of step 4:

and here's the finished dish just before entering the freezer. Would've been nice if I'd used more bell peppers but I'd only a half of one on hand:

Last edited by NYCgrrl; 05-01-2014, 12:42 PM.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Re: Oven Roasted Home Fries

Will you be my friend?

Signed Malamute, the culinarily challenged camper.

A representative example of my culinary prowess,

Last edited by Malamute; 05-01-2014, 12:12 PM.

Comment

At home, all my best recipes start with, "Cut slit in film."
      While camping, it's either "add water and stir", or just keep flipping the burger until it's not quite raw in the center.

Comment

I once burned water.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

I will definitely try that recipe. Thanks!

I cook quite a bit in our house. For a job during high school and college I cooked. I really enjoyed it and I seriously considered culinary school. The main drawback and the reason is opted for something else was that chefs typically works nights and weekends and that was a big time turn off.

Comment

With the added pictures, I'm thinking of moving from being friends to proposing. :D

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
              At home, all my best recipes start with, "Cut slit in film."
              While camping, it's either "add water and stir", or just keep flipping the burger until it's not quite raw in the center.
              Had to think a bit to understand what you meant and thennnnn in came to me like a bolt of lightening: creamed spinach from the frozen aisle! My secret pleasure:D.

Originally posted by James. View Post
              I once burned water.
              Mommy....is that you? Wait...can't be. She's burned water several times and is perfectly fine with the achievement. On the other hand talk about her sewing and yer dead meat.

Originally posted by gmann View Post
              I will definitely try that recipe. Thanks!

I cook quite a bit in our house. For a job during high school and college I cooked. I really enjoyed it and I seriously considered culinary school. The main drawback and the reason is opted for something else was that chefs typically works nights and weekends and that was a big time turn off.
              The ex and I had plans to open a B+B with a public restaurant on site in Cape Cod. With that goal in mind I attended college and worked in various restaurants and hotels. We divorced before the dream came true but the education remains.
              Originally posted by Malamute View Post
              With the added pictures, I'm thinking of moving from being friends to proposing. :D
              Get in line, man, get in line....soooo many men so little time for abuse.........oops:p
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
              X