Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grilled Onion Slices

Howdy,
    Grilled onions are quite sweet and not at all harsh. Although these go naturally with hamburgers, serve them them steaks and chops also, and even with meaty fish like swordfish. Green (spring) onions, which cook in just a few minutes, may be grilled with the same butter-mustard basting sauce.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
    3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    2 teaspoons wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon chopped parsley or tarragon, optional
    3 large red onions, cut crosswise into slices 1/2" thick
    salt
    Freshly ground pepper

Directions:

Prepare fire in a grill. Position oiled grill rack 4-6" above the fire.
    Wash Hands(duh)!
    In a small bowl stir together the butter, mustard, vinegar, and the parsley or tarragon.
    Arrange the onion slices on the rack and sprinkle with salt & pepper(not too much unless you love pepper). Grill, turning two or three times and brushing with the butter-mustard mixture, until tender(maybe 10 minutes max) and golden! Enjoy! Easy too!:D Let's go camping, I'm cooking!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

VDF,
    Makes my mouth water!! Onions are a favorite here. I find it easier to double wrap in foil and put next to hot coals. Next time I will add the Dijon mustard to mine.
    Thanks
    2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
    2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
    I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

Howdy John,
      Thank you for your kind words! Dijon almost all the time saves the day like mighty mouse on the way!
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by vegasdesertfox View Post
        Dijon almost all the time saves the day like mighty mouse on the way!
        Different mustard's on the trail are essential to my eatin'.

I have a couple sets of 6-7 really small 1.5" diameter clear plastic containers (the lid of each container "screws" to the base of one of the other plastic containers so all the containers look like a tube (if you get my drift). In 2-3 of them I have different mustard's so I can have variety to my meals on the trail.
        Chuck
        So. Oregon
        TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
        TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
        SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Grilled Onions are one of my favorite side dishes with any meal camping. Never tired the dijon mustard and will have to, but if you want to try something different soak them in italian dressing before cooking them and prepare to enjoy a delectible treat!! I also prefer the foil wrapping over the coals but it is tasty either way.
          "Survival isn't learned overnight" ~XXXMoonshineXXX~
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X