X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grilled Clams, Mussels or Oysters

Howdy,

Ingredients:

24 clams or oysters, or 30 to 35 mussels(2 lbs.); scrubbed and debearded if cooking mussels.
    Lemon wedges, hot sauce, and/or salsa(hot, extra hot, or mild-your choice)

Directions:

Preheat the grill on high with the lid down(works great this way, but if grill doesn't have lid, it will take an extra minute or two), we want to smoked the treats. Preheat for 15 minutes with lots of heat.

Place the shellfish directly on the cooking grates. Cover & grill, without turning, until the shellfish open. 4-6 minutes for mussels & oysters. 7 to 10 minutes for clams.

With tongs, carefully transfer the openned shellfish to a flat serving plate, try and preserve the juices. Discard the top shells and loosen the meat in the botton shells with clean hands or thin plastic food prep gloves, before serving.

Serve with the lemon wedges, hot sauce etc...passed separately. Everyone has their own choice.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

We do the oysters down here. I eat 'em straight - no sauce.
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

so i put raspberry chipotle sauce on just about every meat i have when i have the stuff (seasonal)

Well i bought some clams while camping from the local meat market in town, put in a pan set it on the grill and added a little beer and a little rasberry sauce cooked until they opened and it was great, A good change from traditional camp food

Comment

We often do our oysters in the edge of the campfire. Hot oysters and cold beer - nuttin' better!
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Here is my way of doing clams or mussels on a grill or campfire. Actually my brother in law did it this way first.
          Ingriedients:
          Whatever amount of shellfish you want, I do usually 50 to 100 clams.
          1 whole bulb fresh garlic, dried does not work out nearly as good.
          A real good handful of fresh parsley, I pick and freeze it in a ziploc with water for camping
          Salt and pepper
          2 cans beer
          Enough water to make at least 1 inch of liquid in pan
          Aluminum foil pan or large roaster pan
          (Can also make this in individual foil packs, just divide it all up)

Clean shellfish and purge if really sandy. Place in pan. Chop garlic and add. Add parsley. Salt and pepper to taste and parsley. Add beer and water. Place on fire until clams open. Remove individual clams soon as they open as not to overcook them. Dip in butter if desired. Pan juice makes an awesome broth too. I have been known to spoon it in a cup and drink it.
          This recipe goes really good with bloody marys!!!!

Comment

Tplife & Co. are great shellfish lovers since Mr. Tp is a native NJ Piney and eats 6 dozen oysters or clams at a sitting, with raw horseradish and crackers no less! Here's a favorite chowder recipe for those shellfish lovers looking for a new recipe. It's from my hometown (we were even raised in the same home, but in different centuries!), by Mabel Maxwell Sooy:

1 small piece salt pork, cut in small pieces.
            Fry it out until crisp.
            1 medium onion, chopped fine
            6 medium potatoes, cut up in small cubes
            4 stalks celery, cut up small
            4 large tomatoes, cut up in medium cubes.
            (or 1 pint canned tomatoes, chopped)
            4 carrots chopped
            1 pint fresh white corn kernels
            24 clams (chowder size) chopped coarsely,
            save juice from the clams.
            Put it all together with enough water to make 4-5 quarts.
            Add a small pinch of thyme and salt and pepper to
            taste.
            Simmer until vegetables are tender.

Serve with cornbread.

From
            Mabel Sooy's Gold Medal Flour Cookbook, published in 1910.

“People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Sounds really good! We are gonna put it together this weekend. At home, organizing our office again and cleaning house. Been out and about too much.:D
              Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
              Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
              X