Tipis versus other tent types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tipis versus other tent types

My family is thinking about going back to tent camping after only taking our popup three times in the five years we've owned it. There is a company that makes Tipis (Kifaru) that interests me. They look very simple to set up and their claims are enticing.

The big drawbacks to me are the price (over a grand) and the fact that they don't have a floor.

We have a coleman cabin tent (don't remember the model) that we've had for about 10 years. It might end up meeting our needs but was looking at the other options...

SO, anybody ever used a tipi (this or other brand)? What other types of tents have advantages for a family (dome versus cabin versus whatever)?

Howdy Cadfael_Tex,
    I applaud the choice of going back to tents! Best decision any man can make! A tipi that cost more than a few bucks and has no floor, that's take a load of courage and guts hope you find what you want, but I have no experience at camping the native way. Good luck!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Re: Tipis versus other tent types

i recommend them highly... with a small woodstove they make winter trips much more enjoyable.

Comment

Tipis are attractive mostly for their uniqueness. They had more practicality for the native plains people than they do for today's casual camper.

I believe the kifaru tipis are really what used to be called miners tents. The disadvantage of this design is that their is not as much useable space as there is with wall tents. You can put your gear around the inside edges and you can sit Indian style around the perimeter, but there is limited standing and crouching space. The floor plan is not conducive to the rectangular shape of people and sleeping bags. While the tipi used several rigid poles to form an interior cone frame, the Kifaru miners tents use a single center pole that restricts movement and further reduces useable space.

Don't worry too much about tent floors. Tent floors are over-rated. They are good to have in snake country - more than once, I have found rattlers and copperheads inside my floorless tents in grassy snake country. However, in most of the USA snakes aren't that much of a concern and really do not add much value. Rain falls down, not up and a floor really does not protect you from water that gets under the tent from poor drainage.

Considering weather protection (rain fly) , useable space, comfort, and economy, I would pass on the miner/tipi tents and look at some of the really excellent values available today in wall tents or any of the myriad of geo-dome shaped tents.

Comment

To all who read this. The OP posted this question 5 years ago his last activity was July 2010
          Nights camped in 2019: 24
          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
            To all who read this. The OP posted this question 5 years ago his last activity was July 2010
            Ha ha. Fascinating. Proof that some things never get old like snipe hunting, telling the scary story of the "Hook Hand Man" around the campfire, Cher, and debating tent designs.
            Last edited by Mike; 06-25-2014, 07:40 PM.

Comment

“I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                Maybe he is just patiently waiting for that email saying there has been a reply.
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  Ha ha. Fascinating. Proof that some things never get old like snipe hunting, telling the scary story of the "Hook Hand Man" around the campfire, Cher, and debating tent designs.
                  Snipe hunting?!?
                  I used to post with a woman from Indiana who had never been to the east coast and would ask me about all aspects of life in NYC and then talk about life on her farm in turn. She had/has a great sense of humour and we began swamping tall tales of our daily doings. One day she said she wanted to arrange a snipe hunt for me if ever I made it by her and alllll the midwest posters joined in w/ pointers on how to track em, dress and cook em. Oh right and decorating the D/R table. The thread took on a life of it's own with posters from other regions slowly realising it was a joke. I think the tipoff was when someone said snipes would attack the home of anyone who installed TP in the wrong direction....
                  A VL week of supreme silliness.
                  Thanks for letting me wake up with a big ol goofy smile on my face.

I ain't touching the Cher reference though:ange:
                  2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                  Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
                  X