Clean rusty poles...aen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean rusty poles...aen

OK......I know I should have dried them first before packing them away....but, the damage is done now.
    I have 2 of the two-piece extension poles that I use for rigging my tarp etc.
    I put them away (collapsed them) wet, now they are rusty.
    One is not too bad, I think some wet sandpaper and some elbow grease will fix it up............the other is pretty black.
    Anyone have any surefire ways of getting this one (almost) back to new?
    I know now that when I get them as close to new as possible, I should probably give them a coat of auto polish.........am I correct?
    Thanks
    Andrew
    Last edited by ontariocamper; 06-22-2009, 07:08 PM.

Originally posted by ontariocamper View Post
    OK......I know I should have dried them first before packing them away....but, the damage is done now.
    I have 2 of the two-piece extension poles that I use for rigging my tarp etc.
    I put them away (collapsed them) wet, now they are rusty.
    One is not too bad, I think some wet sandpaper and some elbow grease will fix it up............the other is pretty black.
    Anyone have any surefire ways of getting this one (almost) back to new?
    I know now that when I get them as close to new as possible, I should probably give them a coat of auto polish.........am I correct?
    Thanks
    Andrew
    Howdy OC,
    First of all before you try any cheap spray bottle crap that claims to remove rust try this first. Once you did you won't be sorry, not an inch of sorriness on your person will shine through. Then pass this along to someone else who may need it. It won't do you a bit of good to keep and claim it yours, it's only yours if you give it away, by cracky!

Most handy men will already know about this but many may not. Rust can easily be removed from small tools by electrolysis. You will need:
    • 12 volt battery (the kind that goes on a lawnmower)
    • 2 lengths of copper wire about 15-18 inches long. The length of wires depends how far total distance is from battery to ends of each dip tank that your pole will fit into. You may need 5 feet(all depends). BTW, this will work on rusted hammers, shovels, picks, sledgehammers, pliers.
    • 1 gallon distilled water
    • 1 Tbsp. washing soda (sodium carbonate) or a pH elevator from the pool supply section at Wal-Mart. (I use pH Plus, which is sodium carbonate)
    • a small piece of steel such as a large washer
    • a clean, 2 gallon plastic bucket, or in your case a long thin towl fashioned and bent with plyers out of pastic or tin, you only need enough water to cover the entire pole to get her done once.
    • Two clothespins.
    • 1 can of WD-40
    Pour distilled water into bucket. Add washing soda and stir until dissolved.
    Securely attach each wire to a terminal on the battery. Wrap the end of the wire that is attached to the NEGATIVE pole on the battery around the rusty tool.

Wrap the end of the wire that is attached to the POSITIVE pole to the piece of steel.

Use clothespins to attach wires to opposite sides of the bucket rim.

THIS IS IMPORTANT. WIRES MUST NOT TOUCH EACH OTHER AT ANY TIME!!

Drop both rusty tool and steel washer into the sodium carbonate/water in the bucker.

Let sit several hours or overnight. Rust will be gone shortly. WIRES WILL SPARK VIOLENTLY IF THEY TOUCH EACH OTHER. Touching both wires at the same time will not give you a shock UNLESS YOU LET THE WIRES TOUCH EACH OTHER. It will not hurt your tool to remain in the solution for an extended period of time.

Once the rust is gone remove from the solution and dry it. Protect your tool from rusting again by spraying it with WD-40 before storing it. The sodium carbonate/water solution should last a long time. Washing soda (sodium carbonate) is available in Las Vegas, Nevada and so is pH Plus is so this is what I use in my laundry. You be dang tootin' I do our laundry too, even my brides private stuff I do and she loves me better fer it!
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 06-24-2009, 05:00 PM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I had heard and read up on this......however, it would be mighty difficult to get a 40" pole into an electrolyte bath at home.

Comment

Howdy OC, you could do them in small 10 to 12" sections by purchasing a basting pan out of alumumin and bending it bit to suit your needs, it'll work. Well, that's two pennies.
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Use a piece of rain gutter, like on your house. Close off and seal both ends - make it as long as you need! :cool:
          A heavy duty plastic type would be best.
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
          X