Staying Cool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying Cool

Hello everyone. This seems like a great site.

I do a lot of camping in the summer at non-mountain lakes. Being in New Mexico, it gets rather hot. I considered getting a trailer but not really an option with my boat (I won't tow tandem). So what is a good solution to stay cool in the summer? I'm thinking maybe a generator and portable AC unit. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Originally posted by DesertBrewer View Post
    Hello everyone. This seems like a great site.

I do a lot of camping in the summer at non-mountain lakes. Being in New Mexico, it gets rather hot. I considered getting a trailer but not really an option with my boat (I won't tow tandem). So what is a good solution to stay cool in the summer? I'm thinking maybe a generator and portable AC unit. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Howdy DesertBrewer,
    Usually any place over 8500' in elevation is cooler than living where I live in the upper Mojave Desert at 2015' here in Las Vegas, Nevada. My bride & I are tenters and we place a tandem 17' Old Town "Dirigo" Kayak on top our WJ(Grand Cherokee Jeep) and go camping on a moments notice. Normally we camp 3 weekends out of a 4 weekend month in the cooler months(October-April) at Lake Mojave. During the summer months we camp less because that is usually when everyone else goes camping. We like the mountainous areas of central & northern Nevada, Arizona, California, Utah. However, this year I had back surgery last month to repair an old Army Ranger injury and that has sidelined me for some months. We do not like organized campgrounds and do a considerable amount of on-line searching for BLM lands to go free camping in. That is what I would recommend to you but I do not know how your companion would like the idea of camping using a man-made latrine. We have no experience at camping with a portable AC unit or fan. If we had to use one of those things then we wouldn't think that, that is camping and would probably just stay home.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
    X