dry ice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dry ice?

has anyone tried useing dry ice to keep meat and stuff longer while primative camping?how did it workout for you,how long does it keep?

Howdy Thunderson5,

Check out this site:

Plan on using 10 to 20 pounds of dry ice for every 24-hour period depending upon the size of the ice chest. Dry Ice will keep everything frozen in this ice chest, including extra ice, so keep non-frozen goods to be refrigerated with regular ice in a separate ice chest. Dry Ice normally comes in 10-inch squares, 2 inches thick weighing about 10 pounds each square. Plan to put one square per each 15 inches of ice chest length. This will work out to 2 squares (20 pounds) for an average 40-quart cooler. For larger containers and longer camping or traveling times, multiply dry ice quantities by these rates. Dry Ice, at -109.0°F or -78.5°C, will freeze and keep frozen everything in its container until it is completely sublimated. These frozen items will take some extra time to thaw because they have been so cold.

http://www.dryiceinfo.com/camping.htm:D Excellent source!

It really lasts a long time especially for an extended stay of 15 days!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

re.dry ice

wow thought it would last longer sounds a little impracticle i guess some sort of small propane icebox might be better

Comment

Block Ice is the best. And if one can keep the lid closed, block ice lasts the longest and is the best. Yes, I've experimented with dry ice and it cost plenty in time and in emptying my pockets. Unless one camps RV or trailer style. But I've never seen one fitted for 4x4...that would be fun!
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

re.dry ice

just got off of a site that has a propane/dc/ac refridge.thats small enough you could fit it in a small car.has two wheels and a pull out handle that looks like the wheels and handle of a suitcase,can plug into cig.lighter

Comment

When my Father was doing his weekend salt-water fishing with his Mulletboat, he had a big plywood-over-styrofoam cooler box on the boat - a couple ice blocks (frozen in those square plastic wash tubs) would last several days before they were all melted! The melt water stayed as frigid as a mountain stream!
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
            X