How long is too long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long is too long?

My wife and I both camped with our families as kids, and have decided it's time for us to start the tradition with our new family.

I drive a Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI with a 8,000 lb towing capacity. I'm looking for either a bumper-pull or 5th wheel trailer for taking the two of us and our two young sons on camping trips that will probably be 3-5 days long.

We went to an RV show yesterday, and the trailer that really called out to us was a 32 ft. Zinger.

I'm wondering if that might be too long for state parks and campgrounds. Since I'm brand new to all of this, I really have no point of reference. It would really be disappointing to buy a trailer only to find that it won't fit in camp spaces that we'd like to visit.

Given all of that, what's the community's opinion? Is a 32 foot trailer too long to fit into camping spaces? Is 32 feet excessive for a family of 4?

I don't trailer it, but I think it would be too big.......
    Other things that may brought into consideration....

increased fuel consumption
    harder to maneuvre, park, and store in the off season
    more initial cash outlay
    higher insurance costs

Comment

Howdy, Noggin. We used to have a 26' Outback (slideout queen bed in the back) and we could go to almost all of the state parks and beaches. The thing about the slideout bed in the back was that it would fit over logs and rocks that usually mark the end of the driveway at the campsite - there's no way a 30-footer would have fit into many of those sites.

We had our Outback for about 18 months. If we would have kept it, I would have invested in some LT tires (we towed with a 1/2 ton Expedition) - it was a bit soft in the back. It weighed 6,000lbs. loaded and I wouldn't have wanted to go any heavier.

Good luck - let me know if you need more info!

Roy

Comment

That is also the same RV we use on our camping last year. Its perfect to accommodate all your kids and has a lot of space so you can bring in a lot of stuff.

Jared Johnson

Texas RV Camping

Comment

The limiting factor is the size of the spaces at campgrounds you may visit. I currently have three travel trailers, a 16, a 27, and a 32 footer, and I used to have a 24. The 24 was probably the most versatile size.

You will find there are a lot of places the 32 cannot be accommodated. Even my 27 has occasionally been an issue in some tight places. You might consider a 24-26 with a slide-out. It will go places a 32 can't, and provide as much space.

-
          Never underestimate the power
          of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Working...
          X