Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• October 09 Camping Plans, Anyone?

Howdy,
    Wow, September 09 flew by you too! That month was pitched like a fastball. Thanks to all who made September camping a worth while experience. Great!

So who is camping in October 2009?

Well, we are, over the Columbus Day weekend. We are going to the Red Rock Canyon Campground(mile 11 campground, from my youth). Red Rock Canyon is only 17 miles southwest from our home, but we have decided this fall to only go short distances from Las Vegas, due to my recovering period. And spend sometime exploring old haunts from my younger days camping around Las Vegas when it was a small and dusty town. No more, big entertainers now come here all the time and the ability to find great gourmet food is endless. Besides our youngest daughter is still enrolled in the Cordon Bleu Chef College. Bon appetite.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I'll be camping in the Sierras of northern California, near Truckee, for a few days in early October. Then later in the month I'll be in the high desert of central Oregon for a week or more. This time of year it's getting a bit cold at night, and the possibility of snow is looming very large. But good ol' technology makes it possible to be comfortable in some pretty miserable conditions.

Sitting beside a campfire at 15 degrees in the snow, looking at a full moon rising, with a glass of wine, not a sound to be hear, or a light to be seen, and . . . well, you get the point. Why stay home?

JP
    Never underestimate the power
    of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Plans Changed, Yippee!

Change of plans. We aren't going to Red Rock Canyon this weekend. Instead we have decided together to drive up to Eagle Valley State Park near Pioche, Nevada. There is a small lake there and we have heard that many summer campers like that area. Elevation is 5800'. The day temp will be in the mid 60s and the lows will be in the low 30s. Perfect for a tenter! Such a fine place we are told that it is. Stocked with trout. Got Mt. Heater ready and plenty of firewood. Gonna take the tandem kayak and see if I can handle loading and off loading her with my reconstructed back. Gonna also try a few new receipes that I have discovered and haven't made them yet. Pioche is about 200 miles north of Vegas, so it will be fun. If you are new to the site, hang in there, weekends are very slow around here, mainly because we do camp and not just talk about it. Yep, I took our laptop once out boondocking, once, and my bride swore that I was on on-line more than I was using the fishing line. That hasn't happenned since. The desktop is for home and the laptop just sits and collects dust. Hey, don't forget to have fun! That's what camping is all about! Hope your October camping plans are all working out!

Comment

Yep, me again...I'm heading out this weekend for a tiny little bit of buddy camping with a good hunting friend, his retriever and some duck hunting up to Pahranagat(pronouced: Pah-ran-a-gnat) Wildlife Refuge for a little shoot and pluck. This time taking just the bear essentials. The campground at the upper Pahranagat Reservoir is closed due to upgrading the facilities. Will be camping at the north end of the Desert National Preserve(dispersed). Camping there will be dust & dirt and my pup tent, no air mattress, just brown wine, Crown Royal. Vegasdesertrose hates hunting season, but since I'm retired every day is a Saturday and my hon-ey-dos are already half done. I also have put in for Big Horn Sheep tags but that is a lottery system and I haven't had a tag in over five years so don't know if I'll ever get a chance again like I did in 2001. I got photos of that trip but they are still on film and haven't been scanned properly. I feel fit for ducks, and ducks is just like shooting traps. Big Sheep though, if you don't get a clean shot, you'll end up doing a heap of trackin' and I don't think my left leg is up to no-good. Back in the day, when I was 30 years younger my father and I would hunt with bow. Still got the bow, though. Just thought I'd share. Thanks for looking. Dusty Trails....

Comment

:DWell, October camping has been fun. Last weekend, ducking hunting; shot three drakes. Tim, my pal from high school days, accidently downed a hen so he had to clean & pluck my drakes as well as his own. We only go after the males and if a female is shot then the man that shot her has to clean the other's load.

This weekend, vegasdesertrose and I are camping at Lake Mojave, nine mile cove. It's 65 miles south to Searchlight Nevada, then that long dusty dirt road of 32 miles half of which is 4x4 low gear. Dispersed camping at it's best! We are leaving Thursday, 10-29 and not returning until Monday, Nov 2nd. Hopefully, no one else will be there, since it is over Halloween weekend. Friday here in Nevada is a holiday, for celebrating Nevada's entrance into the US in 1864 on Oct 31st. There is a storm coming in also this week, but no storm has ever stopped us before. Storms here are blowing sand, maybe a good down pour, some more blowing sand, then it's done. Hope your camping days aren't done? Ours aren't!:D

Comment

Working...
          X