Geocaching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geocaching

Has anyone here done anything with geocaching? Is it hard to do, or is your GPS pretty reliable? Is it a lot of fun? What kinds of items have you found? What types of things do you replace with? How long does it usually take? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

The Wacky Otter
    social@wackyotter.com
    www.wackyotter.com

Well I am a geocacher. You would be suprised just how accurate those things can be sometimes. I have found alot of 'micros' were you have to take your own pencil to sign the log due to their size. I have also found one that had a small stash of childrens toys inside. I even have some that I have hidden. The classic container for a geocache is the ammo can. Always love finding one of those. Keep in mind though that depending on tree cover and some other factors that the accuracy of GPS receivers can be off. If both the hider and your unit are off there can be some differences. I have only had this issue a couple of times. Usually once you get to the area it is pretty obvious where you will find it. Hope this helps.

Comment

Seems my first reply did not show up for some reason. I will try again. I am a geocacher. The GPS usually puts you pretty close to what you are looking for. Remember at times though depending on tree cover and how many satellites you have a lock on your receiver can be off. If yours is off and the hiders was off could make it off. I have found that most of mine have put me within 20 ft of ground zero. When really off I think the most I have heard is 70 to 100 feet away. But most of the times once you get a couple under your belt you have a good idea where to look. I mean rocks don't pile themselves and a stack of limbs in the middle of the woods should be clues. Of course there are alot of urban ones as well. Those tend to be on the small size and most require bringing your own writing utensil to sign the log. As far as the stuff you will find in them. I have found everything from pencil erasers to a nice stash of childrens toys. Just remember that the rule is if you take something to leave something of equal or greater value. They also have coins and travel bugs that have a goal and you help move them along to reach the goal. It is definitely a great way to get out and enjoy the great outdoors. It is contageous though. Once you find a couple you will want to hide some too. Hope this helps.

Comment

Sford 13,

Thanks for responding. You answered a lot of my questions. I just have a couple more questions. How long do they usually take. I know it depends on where you live and where the geocache takes place. But are they like a couple hours hike in the woods or like 20 minutes? Also, have you hidden any geocaches yourself? If so, how did that work? Thanks again for your help.

The Wacky Otter
        social@wackyotter.com
        www.wackyotter.com

Comment

Well they all vary in the amount of time that they take. For instance some of the urban ones you almost do not even need to get out of the car and can be done fairly quickly. If memory serves me right I did over 30 in one day in an urban area. And quit at 1 p.m. But then there are others that do require a hike. Did a set of those with some major elevation changes (for Illinois that is) and took several hours for 5 of them.

One way you can tell is by going to the geocaching website. And looking at the cache page. On that page you are going to find both difficulty and terrain ratings. Obviously the more stars the harder to get. And you can also read the description and that usually give you a clue as to how far away it might be. The getting started page on the geocaching website would be a great place for mor in depth information.

Yes I have hidden a couple. I think 29 in total. Probably the best explantion of this in on the geocaching website. But you pretty much take a water tight container and place a log in it and hide it. Use your GPSr to record the coords. Than you go to the website and set up the page and submit it for publishing. Of course if it is a little bigger sized container you will want to put some nick nack type things in it. Called swag in the GC community. I would suggest you go and find 10 or so to start with. See how others in your area are hidding and what they include in the cache. And be sure and read the rules about placing one on the geocaching website.

Let me know if I can be of anymore help.

Comment

Great! I'm excited about trying out this geocaching. Hopefully I don't get lost. Thanks again. I appreciate it.

The Wacky Otter
            social@wackyotter.com
            www.wackyotter.com

Comment

If you are worried about getting lost while out looking and not being able to find the way back to your car there is a simple way to resolve that. Before you leave your car set a way point on the your GPSr. Than after you find the cache just tell the GPSr to find the waypoint you set and it will lead you right back to your car. Only one time that I really needed and wish I had done that. But than again that is what you get for doing a series of caches in the woods at night. Lucily the wrong trail we picked on the way back still got us to the car.

Comment

Howdy,
                I really don't understand anything about geocaching, however it occured to me that when it's hunting season in the woods, forest or plains, wouldn't it be a good idea to dress in bright colored cloths and know when hunting season are and when?:o
                Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Very good point VDF. Here in Illinois it is not as big of an issue due to where most caches are located and the fact high powered rifles are not allowed in hunting. There are some caches located in areas that allow hunting. And those usually on the description page of the cache will note that hunting is allowed and what dates the cache should be avoided. But since alot of caches are in state parks, local parks and long road sides here in Illinois (at least the ones I have found) hunting does not pose a serious problem. But if I was going to be going out some where I knew hunting was going to be going on I would take that into account.

Another way you might find out about hunting seasons would be to read thru the logs that other finders have left. If the cache has been there a while you should gather enough information to know if it is safe or not.

For the most part I think you will find that those who hide the caches try their best to keep them in safe locations. And if there is any danger are sure to note so on in their descriptions.

If you have a GPSr there is no reason you should not go out and give it a try. But be careful it can be very addicting.

Comment

Howdy Sford13,
                    I have a Garmin unit. We use it...err...my bride uses it to track how fast I'm driving along empty highways in Nevada. What the barometer is doing when we are out on the kayak. Perhaps someday, I'll give it a try. I was raised on map and compass and sometimes think that this is still the 20th Century and not the 21st. Would like to learn more and have been looking at geocache.com. Who knows, I have been told that I have distant relatives in Westerfield, IL and that they geocache, but I none of it, yet. For now I just would rather go camping, hunting, fishing, relaxing, pushing 58 and enjoying my new reconstrcted back.:D What could be more addicting than that? Maybe my bride will let me borrow her Garmin Unit, when I'm hunting next week, if I ask real nice! Heehee.
                    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by Sford13 View Post
                      If you are worried about getting lost while out looking and not being able to find the way back to your car there is a simple way to resolve that. Before you leave your car set a way point on the your GPSr. Than after you find the cache just tell the GPSr to find the waypoint you set and it will lead you right back to your car. Only one time that I really needed and wish I had done that. But than again that is what you get for doing a series of caches in the woods at night. Lucily the wrong trail we picked on the way back still got us to the car.
                      That's a great idea. I'll have to remember that when I do a geocache. The last thing I want is to be lost in the woods at night without any supplies. Thanks again for the tips.

The Wacky Otter
                      social@wackyotter.com
                      www.wackyotter.com

Comment

Geocaching is great! If you love the outdoors, you should at least try it once. My wife and I started geocaching four years ago and we have found over 700 geocaches. Sford13 seems to have answered most of your questions, but I thought I would just add my 2 cents.

Accuracy depends a lot on the unit and your location. If you are standing in a field with a quality GPS, it will be very accurate. If you are in the mountains with a cheap GPS, it will be very frustrating. As for cost, plan on spending at least $100 for a quality GPS. After reading about geocaching, we decided to take a risk and spend the money on a unit and we were very happy we did. Well worth the money spent.

Geocaching this time of year in WI can be tricky mainly because of the hunting season. I try to avoid caches hidden in public hunting grounds this time of year. But don't worry there are plenty of caches hidden in other areas.

As you get more into the sport you'll find some things that you like and some things you don't. For example, I love geocaches that send you on a hike to a beautiful area that we never would have found if it weren't for the geocache hidden there. On the flip side, I hate tiny geocaches that are hidden on a street sign on a busy street where everyone can see you. The beauty of this sport is that if you don't like a cache, you don't have to do it. Maybe just do the ones that look like you'd enjoy. For me, I try to find all the caches within a 10 mile radius of home, but when it comes to geocaching while we're traveling, I'll usually just stick to quick and easy ones that I can get right off the route we're taking.

As for time, I've done geocaches that took less than one minute. I've also done caches that took several trips (b/c we couldn't find it) and totaled more than 5 hours. There are geocachers out there that feel it their duty to hide an easy-to-find cache in every location they can. Unfortunately, this greatly saturates the geocaching playing field and makes the well-thought-out or clever caches few and far between. For that reason, I would say that the average geocache takes about 15 minutes.

Definitely give it a try and if you have a family, bring them all along. It is a very family friendly sport. I wrote a post about geocaching on my blog. Feel free to check it out:
                        http://www.getoutandgocamping.com/?p=40

By-the-way, my geocaching team name is there&backagain.

Happy caching!
                        -Adam
                        www.GetOutandGoCamping.com

Comment

I've actually been geocaching for many years. It's something that I love to do!!! I've got 2 usernames since I can't remember the password of the old one for the life of me.
                          I haven't been able to get out much the past year 'cause of a hectic lifestyle but I'm hoping to be able to get out there soon and start caching again!!!

Comment

I've researched Geocaching a lot in the last 2 months. And I've come to a conclusion, The stuff you get is not even worth the money you spend on a good GPS unit.

Now if the hider hid stuff like a gift certificate to Chillies. Taco Bell, Or one of those $25 dollar visa gift cards in the container I would defently buy a gps unit.
                            My cooking site!

Comment

Originally posted by Chile Chef View Post
                              I've researched Geocaching a lot in the last 2 months. And I've come to a conclusion, The stuff you get is not even worth the money you spend on a good GPS unit.
                              Chef,

The object of the game is not get stuff. The object is more of a scavenger hunt or high tech hide and seek. The 'swag' (which is the stuff left in the cache for trading) is more of a souvenier for having found a cache. Also the number one rule of geocaching is that if you take something, you are suppose to leave something of equal or greater value.

Geocaching has led me on adventures and taken me to places I never would have seen without it. To me getting out and enjoying nature and being shown things I never would have seen otherwise make it well worth the money spent on the GPSr I recieved.

But if you are getting into Geocaching for gain, I can tell you now that I would pick some other hobby. But if you enjoy an excuse to get out and enjoy places, this is the sport for you.

Just remember if you take something, leave something of equal or greater value.

Comment

Working...
                              X