Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knife Buying Suggestions

Howdy,
    There are many different types of knives that range from relatively inexpensive to very expensive. Before buying a knife, it is important that you consider the knife's use, features, materials, and warranty. After reading this article, you should feel more comfortable when comparing different brands and models of knives.

1. How will you use it? There are many different types of knives which are intended to be used in very different ways. Here are the most common uses:
    • Everyday: Are you opening boxes or cutting twine?
    • Outdoor (Backpacking/Climbing/Hiking/Camping): Does your activity involve using rope?
    • Hunting/Fishing: Are you field dressing game or cleaning/filleting fish?
    • Tactical/Survival: Do you need a heavy-duty knife that won't fail?
    • Limited Edition/Custom: Are you a collector?
    2. What features are important to you? Each knife that you find will have a different set of features, usually associated with the blade, handle, and sharpness.
    • Fixed-blade: Always ready for use and dependable.
    • Folding knife: Compact, safer to carry; improved dependability with locking blade.
    • One-handed opening: Has a thumb reststud, blade hole or other feature to facilitate one-hand use. Some models are one-hand opening and one-hand closing as well.
    • Gutting/skinning blade: For field dressing game.
    • Thick Blade: For heavy-duty tasks.
    • Light weight: Use of composite or other materials to minimize weight.
    • Saw edge: For cutting wood or bone.
    • Sharpness: Stays sharp and is easy to sharpen.
    3. What is it made of and why? The materials of the blade and handle with have a significant impact on the use and longevity of your knife.

Blade Materials - A good blade combines good edge retention, ease of re-sharpening and rust resistance.
    • S30V is the best blade steel available. It is a high vanadium stainless steel with even higher edge retention.
    • ATS-34 and BG-42 are two custom steels with much higher carbon content, giving them higher hardness ratings and dramatically higher edge retention.
    • 420HC is a stainless steel that provides excellent rust resistance, is easy to re-sharpen and has mediumgood edge retention.
    Handle Materials - A good handle should feel solid and well constructed when you hold it. We suggest you consider a handle style and material that meets your needs and suits your preference.
    • An ergonomic design provides comfort.
    • A rubber or textured handle provides a sure grip in wet conditions.
    • A wooden handle adds beauty to the knife.
    • Plastic/composite handles are durable under extreme conditions.

4. Does it offer an unconditional lifetime warranty? You want a knife that is crafted from high quality materials and will deliver reliable performance. If it should ever fail you, be sure the maker stands behind it.

Much of this information was taken from the Buck Knives company website.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I like Buck and Gerber fixed blade knives, dependable heavyduty knives that are easy to sharpen. Good for everything from preparing fish to cutting wood. I also keep a small folder in my pocket for more delicate work. Other cutting tools I pack in are a short axe and a small bowsaw with extra blades.

Comment

I always keep a folder in a belt pouch - ALWAYS. A good knife is an invaluable tool. I use it multiple times each day. Currently my daily carry knife is a classic heavy duty Remington R1128 Trapper two-blade folder.
      When I do need to carry a fixed-blade, it isn't a huge 'survival gator' type Ramboesque knife. Mine will be a 5 to 6 inch blade, full tang, comfortable handle and grip. Stainless steel preferred, but not an absolute requirement - actually a good tool steel takes a better edge than stainless.
      One of my favorite fixed-blades is an old el-cheapo "Commando Tanto" with five inch stainless Tanto blade and stacked leather handle. It's small enough to be easily handled but big enough to skin a deer if needed. Did I say 'tough'.....? I used it to punch holes in sheet steel ammo cans ('Spam cans") of Russian surplus ammo - didn't have a chisel handy and couldn't find the big ammo can opener. Hammered the knife into the steel can, then hammered it to open a slit, so I could then use sheet metal shears.

THEN I found the 'can opener'....... :rolleyes:

The knife is still sharp and undamaged! Best 'cheap' knife I ever bought.
      Last edited by Bigdog57; 11-17-2009, 12:54 PM.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I love my gerber knifes "they look like leathermen. And they feel very nice.

I use mine for fishing and filleting? I think I've posted them here before.
        My cooking site!

Comment

Working...
        X