Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping: December 2009?

Howdy,
    Today is November 30th, so what are your plans for camping in December 2009? If you are planning a camping trip and would like to share and chat about what is going on during the last month of 2009, here you go!

For us....well....we are camping at Manzanita (TENT ONLY) Campground in Oak Creek Canyon, about seven miles north of Sedona, Arizona for a week. We reserved a site(7 day max stay). We are leaving either December 21 or 22 and staying there till December 27th. Christmas in Sedona! We don't know of anyone in the area, but we know it's wonderful Red Sandstone country and that there are quite a few art dealers in the area. It's about a four hour drive from our Vegas home and we camped here before in early November 2008. We have heard that Flagstaff Arizona which is just to the north of Sedona has snow. We do have chains and our Kodiak Canvas Wall Tent. Dead Horse Ranch State Park has a good size pond adjacent to the Verde River where we can do a little kayaking, so the kayak goes too!

After that we are planning on returning to Temple Bar Campground from December 27 to January 2, 2010. Temple Bar is on Lake Mead in Arizona along the Bonelli Basin north of Kingman, AZ and only about 50 miles from Vegas. We are looking forward to our winter camp! :D

What about you?
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Now keep in mind that I live in Illinois where winters do get cold. And I have a two year and a 7 month old girls. For Christmas we will be heading to the in-laws in NW Illinois. But plan to be back home in central Illinois to bring in the new year. I got to thinking that while it will be too cold outside for the girls that if we move around some furniture the dome tent should work just fine in the living room. So our plans are to camp in the new year. Even if it is inside it will hopefully get the girls excited about camping in 2010.

Comment

Absolutely nothing wrong with camping in home, it's the idea that counts! Thanks for sharing! Good luck...perhaps your children will remember it for their entire lives, you never know!

Comment

Winter Camping: Sedona, AZ

Howdy,
        Well, we are still planning on camping over the Christmas Holiday and we discused camping in southern California, where we know we can always go for warmer weather but we are still favoring Sedona, AZ. I know a lot of campers are looking out their windows at home and seeing nothing but white, but that isn't how it is in the great southwestern deserts. It's still camping season for us!:D

Sedona, Arizona, is world famous for it's spectacular natural beauty. The soaring, majestic red sandstone formations that dominate the area are truly inspiring to visitors and residents alike. Sedona Arizona is situated at the mouth of Oak Creek Canyon,which is also renowned for its natural beauty. Oak Creek winds through the town of Sedona and the surrounding Red Rock country. Sedona sits at the lower end of Oak Creek Canyon, south of Flagstaff, high on the side of the Verde Valley. The community is surrounded by the Coconino National Forest. This Sedona scene shows Red Rock Crossing below Cathedral Rock. It's probably the single most photographed scene in the state.
        Sedona is unique among the South of Flagstaff communities. The weather, scenery, local character, geology, and some say the harmonic vibrations of the earth here make it unique. At 4500 feet in elevation and located above Arizona's desert floor... and just below the high country, the weather here is generally mild and sunny. Sedona, Arizona, is the second most visited spot in the state. Just thought I'd share. Next week, we're going canvas tent camping! Yippee!

Comment

Hi folks! New to the forum, but not new to camping. I'm planning on camping in a national forest area here in Indiana the week between Christmas and New Years. I have several camping options (tents, pop-up tent trailer, travel trailer) and think the pop up will be the way I'll choose to camp. Nothing like the smell of a campfire in the dead of winter!

Comment

Working...
          X