X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping Chair Thinking! Oh My!

Howdy,
    What To Look For

Camping chairs are widely available and come in a variety of styles. The first thing to consider is the way you'll be using your camping chair. If you're more of the car camper, then weight won't really matter. You'll likely be leaning toward comfort and features. But if you're in need of a chair that can make the trip with you over the miles attached to your backpack, weight and construction will be a serious consideration.

Common Pitfalls

The most common complaint with camping chairs is durability. Construction and quality of materials run the gamut, and you can expect to get what you pay for. While on occasion, you'll find a less expensive chair that will last you for years, don't expect a $5 mass-retailer bargain to make it more than a single car-camping season. In models of lesser quality, the fabric tends to stretch and armrests will slide down the poles. Straps for leg rests might break. Make sure if you're purchasing a camping chair and intend to have it last any length of time, purchase it from a trusted outdoor retailer. That way, if you have problems with faulty construction, you have recourse.

Where To Buy

Camping chairs can be found at outdoor retailers such as Trails.com and REI. By visiting a brick and mortar store(WalMart) or trusted online retailer, you can try the product or read other buyer reviews before purchasing. You can also buy camping chairs at mass retailers and discount stores, but you should expect anything less than the $30 price range as of September 2009 to be of lesser quality.

Cost

Camping chairs can be found on fire sale at your local grocery store or mass retailer for as little as $5. You can expect to pay an average of $15 to $30 for the car camping-type with cup holders in the arm rests. Expect to pay more if you're looking at models with foot rests. If you're in search of the ultra-light type for expedition backpacking or ultra-plush models with padding and extra-sturdy construction, these generally begin around $30 and can run upward of $70.

Comparison Shopping

Compare the fabric, texture, frame, features price of each chair you're considering. It might come down to all things being equal except for price. If you're looking at models with detachable pads and leg rests, make sure you compare the construction of the fasteners on these detachable pieces. If purchasing a camp chair for expedition backpacking that needs to be portable, weight will play heavily into your decision process.

Accessories

Some camping chairs come with features such as detachable leg rests and head rests, and most all will come complete with their own stuff sack or carrying bag. Make sure you know what your chair comes with.

Insider Tips

Don't leave your camping chairs out to be exposed to the sun or rain; the elements can damage the fabric of the chairs in short order. Store your camping chair in its stuff sack and keep it put away when not in use. Good luck and take your favorite camping chair on your next camping trip! Thanks for looking!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Good post!!
    Those little pitfalls will get you every time.
    2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
    2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
    I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

One big thing I have to look for is the weight limit - I am a BIG dawg. A cheapo chair won't last long.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I can't stand the cheapo chairs because the front corners often dig into my legs. Bigdog brings up a good point that if you're more than 200 lbs, you might want to check the weight limit. My wife and I each bought a Coleman chair about 2.5 years ago and they are still holding up strong. We bought them from Amazon. The pockets kinda get in the way, but they are good places to store the chair bags.
        -Adam
        www.GetOutandGoCamping.com

Comment

I hope you can see the humor........... When I backpack, I use a llama, who can carry 80 pounds. I am a committed "ultra-light" backpacker. If I go out for a week or more, Billy Bob carries about 30 pounds at the git go. So, I have no problem putting a camp chair on his back. Now, the funny part.

I like to pack as remotely away from civilization as I can. The people I may run in to out there just DO NOT carry the luxury/ies of a chair (that is what boulders and fallen tries are for). Not me! I not only have the chair, I have the folding table with me. I really gets a double-take from those who pass my campsite :eek:

Chuck
          Chuck
          So. Oregon
          TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
          TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
          SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Howdy Eaglebait Ranch,
            Yep, there is humor in what you are saying, but to bring it up to speed about llamas; Mt. LeConte in the Great Smoky National Park, the tallest peak there, the packers have been using llamas when my bride was working there back in her teen years. llamas are great packers, thanks for signing on here at the campfire! Looking forward to more great experiences.

Down a-ways in the forum is a category on backpacking. Might just be your ticket to paradise? It's new and could use some help from an altralight hiker. When I was packing it was with a 40 lb pack. So I know I'm old fashioned and could always use new tips. Chime in there or here whenever you're in the mood to chat camping! Welcome, pard!

Comment

Welcome to the campfire, Eaglebait Ranch! You and I are on the same page - I camp by motorcycle, but still manage to bring my folding campchair along. Rocks and logs don't cut it when you are 50+ years old with a bad back! It's really nice to have a place to sit with back support!
              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Cabelas has one for sale called a Big Boy Chair. It has a 400lb limit and sells for about $60.00

Comment

That's some great bird-dogging Camo! Thanks fer sharing!! 60 bucks ain't bad when your packing! Hey, when I was a kid I was 120lbs soaking wet, now I too, since eating am way over 200. People be people and most everyone is plush the skinny ones are in them fancy magazines at the barbers.

When we camped up at Spring Valley Recreationa Area at the end of October 09, we saw some campers. I took over some roast beef to ease the tension and they too had been looking for that kind of chair. Very nice folks, we shared beef and beer! Thanks, pard! I emailed them and they have thanked me. Case closed!
                  Last edited by renodesertfox; 12-02-2009, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X