Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Santa Getting Himself?

Howdy,
    Okay...okay...it's December 5th already, seems like yesterday I just graduated high school, but the old bod doesn't think so. So what is Santa getting himself? Here's some ideas...but for me, it's gotta be tent only campgrounds, by cracky! Maybe some new camp slippers, just for me!

1. National Parks Pass - Some of the best camping locations are in the United States National Parks system. Yosemite, Glacier Park and so on provide simply stunning scenery and absolutely tremendous camping opportunities. The National Park Pass grants admission to all of the National Parks for one year.
    (personally I have the disabled veteran's access pass).

2. A couple of rolls of paper towels fill up a stocking quick! Wiping up spills near the cooking area, or covering food to keep the bugs off. Paper towels, hmmm.

3. Prepaid gas card! Gee it would be nice too!

4. Topo Maps...

5. Pre-paid retirement checks, oops...already getting those...

What do you think you're getting yourself or what is it that you want? But let's get one thing clear...I'm not your Santa; I'm not going to get you anything just asking about your wish list?
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Presents From Santa...........

I really must have been good........ Ordered 2010 Chevy Cargo Van, V8, w/AWD, with lots of bells and whistles in the cab, but nothing but bare skin in the back (cargo area) so we can fix it up like the good ol' ultralight campers/backers we are. It will be here the end of February, we are told.

We just have to have it ready by June for "test runs". Our first major foray is schedule for late August when we head up to Washington state for 30 days of camping and backpacking.

Oh, I will probably get a couple pair of hiking socks, too - Smartwool.

See ya on the trail..........
    Chuck
    So. Oregon
    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Well, I just burned $400 worth of plastic to stock up on some handloading goodies. Supplies are finally coming back somewhat after the Panic Buying of post election nonsense. Ammo still scarce in anything other than hunting rifle loads, so it pays to 'roll my own'.
      Looking at some camping gear upgrades too - need to improve somewhat from the "WalMart" mentality. :rolleyes:
      I also need to start getting things ready for our annual Dual SPort Motorcycle Meet and Campout on MLK holiday weekend. Though we are considering bumping it into February to avoid being in the woods the same time as the hunters. We also lost our superb location from the previous four years - the YMCA sold the Summer Camp and we nolonger have a member of our group working there. I located a smaller private campground closer to my home - good for me but further for my riding buddies living on the other side of the county.
      Hope it works for us........
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Travel trailer?

I have been a very good boy my wife and I are looking at a travel trailer. We will be having a baby boy in two weeks. My wife would prefer not to tent camp with a 6 month old. I have always felt that rv's are the antithesis of camping (i love tent camping) but if it keeps my wife going then it means my older boy and I can go more often. We can always still tent camp when we go by ourselves. Hopefully you guys will still accept me. I promise not to get a generator.

Comment

With the economy the way it is, I see a lot of RV's on the market, fairly cheap. You should be able to get a decent one. You can use it as 'base camp' for the Missus and little one, while you and Jr. go a little further afield with the tent.
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by rxcamping View Post
            .....We will be having a baby boy in two weeks. My wife would prefer not to tent camp with a 6 month old. I have always felt that rv's are the antithesis of camping (i love tent camping) but if it keeps my wife going then it means my older boy and I can go more often.
            Congrats on the new rug rat! I get to be a grandpa for the second time in February. I'm getting excited!

See ya on the trail........
            Chuck
            So. Oregon
            TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
            TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
            SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Hey RX, that baby boy that's coming in two weeks will be a Christmas present for years to come and camp! Good thinking on getting a trailer...way down the road I'm still planning to sleep in a tent. Glad your not getting a generator. I'm already a Grandpa three times from my youngest son and now my eldest daughter is having a baby in April or May. Gee, my shopping list grows every year, and that's good!

Eaglebait...you'll really have to be a good guy, finally going from dial-up to high speed and a new 2010 van! Wow, Seems all I get anymore is ties(which I never wear & silk hankies(I perfer bandanas)!

Big Dawg...glad your moving away from the Walmart mentality and beginning to get the good stuff! You won't be disappointed! I appreciate a man that re-loads his ammo, I'm trying to find time to re-fletch 35 arrows and sharpen points for January's hunt. I think my bride is getting me a new compound huntin' bow, this year. I've been using a 47lb pull recurve for 15 years. The compound will give me the power to hunt big game like big horn sheep and elk next year. Please, dear I've been good?
              Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
              Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Thanks guys for the congrats on both the new purchase and the baby boy. I cant wait to start camping with another boy. I think my son will be jealous at first though since he has had our undivided attention for the last five years. I willing to try the travel trailer route if it means getting my wife involved more often.

I am sure my boy and I will still tent camp this Summer on our own. I know for sure we will be tent camping next October at Indian Cave state park here in Nebraska where Haloween is on steroids. All of the RV sites are reserved a year in advance (darn looks like it will just be my and my son :D) A lot of the park is decorated for Haloween and they have a haunted hayrack ride at night. All of the folks in the RV campground decorate their RVS with lights and inflatables and have different spooky things going for a couple of hours on Friday and Saturday night during which time the young ones trick or treat. My son and I had a blast this year. Our tent site was a 10th of a mile from anyone else.

I am glad to hear that you all will continue to allow me to be part of the forum as my camping adventures take a new direction. I know when my son is old enough for the scouts we will start tent camping frequently and year around.

I still plan to cook everything over my coleman of the fire. Half of the fun of camping for me is the cooking. I love cooking outdoors and trying new things.

Comment

Working...
                X