Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What problems do you have while camping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What problems do you have while camping?

I am a Product Design Student from the University of Sussex, UK looking to design a small hand held product for campers.

I would like to know, what you think as a camper, what the main problem is while camping.

I basically need a problem that I can design a solution for

Many Thanks

Tom

As an overall problem that most campers will experience it will be hard to pinpoint the most common single problem. There are quite a few handheld devices out there to compensate for many different issues while camping. I will rack my brain for the next day or so and try and come up with a list for you. It will take some time because I'm gonna have to do some pondering. Good idea for a project though.
    "Survival isn't learned overnight" ~XXXMoonshineXXX~
    sigpic

Comment

Likewise, maybe burn some midnight oil! Got my thinkin' cap on too!
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Ok after much pondering here is what I have come up with so far, keep in mind these are prolbems I have, not product suggestions, thats up to you for the creative side. Some of these issues may not apply to some campers due to the fact that I run into these issues when survival camping more than tenting it.

*Wood or kindling that is too wet to catch a spark for fire*
        *Easier way to get pure water than by boiling twice or buying a very expensive filtering system*
        *(This one is a product recommendation) a device to easily tell approximate time by the position of the sun and incorporate that positition to deterine an approximate heading (direction you are facing).*
        *Takes forever to make fine enough tinder by knife blade shaving to get a nice ball for a fire starter*

I will keep thinking but this might get the ball rolling.
        sigpic

Comment

Being a motorcycle camper myself, space is often at a premium. I'd like to see a pair of camp slippers that are thin and light enough to roll up tightly and compactly, but still have enough of a sole to protect the feet against twigs, nuts and pebbles when toddling off to 'water the trees' at zero-dark-thirty! Regular slip-on shoes are too bulky sometimes.
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Wow! This is going to be a fun challenge. I will work on it, too and get back to ya..........
            Chuck
            So. Oregon
            TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
            TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
            SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfowler84 View Post
              *Wood or kindling that is too wet to catch a spark for fire*

*Takes forever to make fine enough tinder by knife blade shaving to get a nice ball for a fire starter*
              I don't mean any disrespect by these suggestions. You may already know this information, or have much better ideas than mine.

As for the wet wood, I agree, it can be a challenge. I always bring dry tinder (vaseline-soaked dryer lint). If I had none though, I'd find dry tinder in the surroundings and use my fire steel that has a magnesium bar with it.

As for the quick feather stick maker, a couple of things come to mind. A vegetable peeler and a disposable razor. I've never tried either one, but I thought I'd put that out there.

I am interested though, how do you do most of your camping - with a tent and gear or very minimalist? How do you start fires after a soaking rain?

Comment

Originally posted by Carpaccio View Post
                As for the wet wood, I agree, it can be a challenge. I always bring dry tinder (vaseline-soaked dryer lint). If I had none though, I'd find dry tinder in the surroundings and use my fire steel that has a magnesium bar with it.

As for the quick feather stick maker, a couple of things come to mind. A vegetable peeler and a disposable razor. I've never tried either one, but I thought I'd put that out there.
                These are great suggestions and can be put to good use. I listed them because they are still a problem and the thread topic is about creating a tool to help with problems. If something were created to help with these issues I would be one of the first ones to own one!

Originally posted by Carpaccio View Post
                I am interested though, how do you do most of your camping - with a tent and gear or very minimalist? How do you start fires after a soaking rain?
                I have started a new thread topic for this and answered your questions in it. Please check it out.

Any other suggestions for slippy88 of problems you all may face during camping?
                Last edited by Waterfowler84; 01-27-2010, 12:24 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

I have an idea... let's COMBINE a sleeping bag with a matt! instead of having both... we can have two in one and save on weight (a little) and mostly space!
                  Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
                  USMC Retired
                  Scout/Sniper

Comment

Well I have been thinking about what issues I have had while camping. You figure these out and I will guarantee you will be a millionaire. First would be rain. Figure out how to make sure the sun is always shinning when I am camping. Second would be temp. Figure out how to make it just right during the days and perfect for sleeping during the night. Third would be some kind of device to make the annoying people in the campsites near mine disappear. Any one of the three would work but make it a universal item that would do all three and I am sure you will have them lineing up to buy it.

Comment

Working...
                    X