Kayak vs. Canoe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak vs. Canoe

My wife and I own 8 1/2 acres outside of a little town called Centerville, Tn.. that is located a few miles SW of Nashville Tn. It is a very beautiful area that is very secluded, that has approx. 600 to 700 feet of creek frontage which is fed by underground springs, and acres and acres of nothing but beautiful farm land. My Great-Great Grandparents settled there in the early to mid 1800's with several thousand acres of farm land. They had several children, who had children, one being my Grandfather, that when each one married were given 500 acre farms as wedding gifts. Many family descendants still own or reside there. Most are not working farms but are now recreational farms. We have electrical power and a septic system installed for our RV, and are working on having a well put in for water. We plan on building a cabin there in the future, but for the time being will use our travel trailer to enjoy our "HEAVEN".

My question is, the creek which is sorta like a small river, probably 50-100' wide in areas, with deep water and sections of fast running shallow water, would a canoe or kayak be better. We have looked at both, but not sure which is best for this application.

I hate to brag, but I have to show a picture of our place "outlined in black". The house and barns to the right are where my Great-Great Grandparents settled in the 1800's, and my Grandfather was born and raised in the house also.

Please forgive me for the long story, but being raised in that area, it is so SPECIAL.

Archie

From personal experience I would reccommend each of you getting a kayak. Kayaks are much easier to handle in rapids, or quick moving water, and much easier to manuever in general. The overall upper body workout is much more noticeable with a kayak as well, plus they can be very useful for other things besides just kayaking. My favorite use for a kayak is to get up close and personal with the wildlife during my photography shoots. They allow you to slip in close without disturbing the natural surroundings and won't alert any wildlife that you are there. +1 for kayaks
    "Survival isn't learned overnight" ~XXXMoonshineXXX~
    sigpic

Comment

My thoughts exactly. After purchasing our first, then second and then two more. When I became hooked. My wife who has much trouble walking found freedom with the paddle. Help her in and out. The rest she managed instantly. Finding inexpensive kayaks at liveries each spring in easily done. Find them on Net. Three youngest grandchildren also took to them instantly. Now,we have old and young enjoying together. Being a bit older presents one point. After several hours in boat, now have to get against bank an crawl out. Not a problem. Have had kayak in Mackinaw straits and on great lakes in four foot swells, just plain fun. My vote (may I vote twice?) is kayaks. Oh Yes, with single kayaks each person has much more freedom.

Comment

Originally posted by angler57 View Post
        with single kayaks each person has much more freedom.
        Great point! Easy to take kayak trips down the river, or stream together, yet you can go off on your own here and there and have a much more independent expeience and be accompanied by someone at the same time.
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for your inputs, I've been leaning towards kayak's. We have been in both, and kayaking felt like the way to go.

Thanks,
          Archie

Comment

As Waterfowler said, up close and personal is a great part of these tiny boats. With a bit of experience you find that moving silently and without really disturbing the water is possible.
            One drawback, potential heartattacks. Easing silently down a shore like lined with reeds, this nearly happened to us. Being paddle lenght from the reeds, suddenly a frightening clammer in the reeds. A black, screaming figure and flapping of wings was upon us. Had managed to come upon a Blue Heron hidden standing in the reeds.
            not something either of us had expected. The Heron struggling to gain flight, actually toughed my face with a wing tip. A moment never to be forgotten.
            Note; We use a 9ft. 6in. boat. Easy to car top. toss is pick-up, van or SUV. Or put in the hall of a camper, as we do.

Comment

Wow! This thread got my attention. My wife and I have both brought up the idea of getting a kayak/s. You have fed my interest more and will start looking on the net for information. Thanks.
              Chuck
              So. Oregon
              TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
              TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
              SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Eaglebait; Found this video of one of my favorite places. Georgian Bay eastern side of Lake Huron.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2XV33cs9b4

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebait Ranch View Post
                  Wow! This thread got my attention. My wife and I have both brought up the idea of getting a kayak/s. You have fed my interest more and will start looking on the net for information. Thanks.
                  I highly reccommend kayaks. It is a recreational activity that is often overlooked but once discovered can quickly become addicting. I live here in NE and we have several lakes, and smaller rivers that are very fun to kayak during the summer months. I tend to stay off the mighty MO though, too deep, and too scary! Its great exercise, and if you practice enough you can get up close and personal with wildlife...ain't that right angler57? LOL. Nice Heron story, made me kinda chuckle.
                  Anyway, for an avid outdoorsman I think a kayak is a must have for any outdoors trip that involves a body of water.
                  sigpic

Comment

Susan and I are going to be in SFO for four days in Feb., and are looking at taking innitial kayak lessons 1-2 of those days in Point Reyes Sea Shore. If we can't do it then, we will schedule a March date. I think we are going to love it!
                    Chuck
                    So. Oregon
                    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
                    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
                    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

I too vote kayak! Now we have a tandem kayak which we really like. If we decide to camp with that we can and it will not store just as much gear as a canoe. Camping by kayak is so much like backpacking except it's on water. And as Waterfowler said it's great way to slip in on wildlife and we do this all the time and it doesn't bother the wildlife because of the low profile that the kayak creates. Back in the day when we were both younger we each had or own solo kayak and we paddled what ever we could. The Colorado River we have done but in small sections north of the Grand Canyon and south of Lake Mojave. My wife too is from Sweetwater, TN and we have paddled around Telico Plains, sections of the Tennessee River, Fontana Lake(N.C.). Tennessee is very beautiful country!! Back in the college days of my early adulthood I learned white-water kayaking in San Diego but that was surf-kayaking which still is our favorite mode of transportation, but we haven't been on the Pacific for almost ten years. Would like to get back to doing that more often. I sure am hoping that my Desertrose will land that job in Sacramento because there are great rivers in the area and that camping is really fun from our kayak. I highly recommend that anyone would wants to learn kayaking should take at least one course in a structured kayak school. And once you sit in a kayak they are much more stable than a canoe. For now though we are using a tandem kayak for just pleasure and seeking flat-water, photography & fly-fishing always! But, I was just reminded by desertrose that we really like jeep camping too and dolike to take all the bells and whistles too! Oh well!:D
                      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
                      X