February 2010 Camping Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• February 2010 Camping Plans

Watcha got planned for February camping. We'd be interested to find out what different/unusual things people in this forum are planning.

Me? Susan and I are hoping we get a winter storm or two so there is enough snow to do some winter backpacking and skiing. A month ago, there was 46" of white stuff up where we like to go, that was hopeful. Then, we had a warm spell that lasted until about 3 days ago. The snow depth was dwon to 8" at Fish Lake.

Ok..... your turn!
    Chuck
    So. Oregon
    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Originally posted by Eaglebait Ranch View Post
    Watcha got planned for February camping. We'd be interested to find out what different/unusual things people in this forum are planning.

Me? Susan and I are hoping we get a winter storm or two so there is enough snow to do some winter backpacking and skiing. A month ago, there was 46" of white stuff up where we like to go, that was hopeful. Then, we had a warm spell that lasted until about 3 days ago. The snow depth was dwon to 8" at Fish Lake.

Ok..... your turn!
    Sounds like fun! By the way, is that a tauntaun behind you in your avatar?

Comment

We're headed to Mid-Hills dispersed camping in the desolate and beautiful Mojave National Preserve in CA. Almost went there last month but changed plans for a B&B in Temecula. Of course we'll take everything including our potty and heater, nights are still getting down into the low 30s. Kodiak Canvas tent too. I've scraped the plans to get a better zipper installed in the Eureka. We are down-sizing and I just trashed five other tents. I'm going to use the Kodiak all year long. The Kodiak is a very well built tent and with it's seamless porch awning and me hanging tarps on her sides I can get privacy real good. Now we'll never need a "provided" concrete picnic table, we take our own! btw: Chuck, thanks for starting this thread so I don't have to remember nothing but goin camping!
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

We're about to walk out the door to go to FDR state park. I'll let you guys know how it goes, and post pictures, when we get back Sunday night.

Comment

Originally posted by Carpaccio View Post
          Sounds like fun! By the way, is that a tauntaun behind you in your avatar?
          Yep! Good eyesite. I own the largest flock of them in Southern Oregon. Even the bald eagles avoid my property. Feed bill is huge, too! That is why I take them backpacking, the meadows in the back country look like a football field when they get through munchin on the greens.
          Chuck
          So. Oregon
          TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
          SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Originally posted by vegasdesertfox View Post
            btw: Chuck, thanks for starting this thread so I don't have to remember nothing but goin camping!
            hey, sounds like a monthly assignment I can take on.......... If I can remember! The end of Feb we get our new cargo van. I will be spendin' lots of time planning/figuring out how I/we are going to rig it (ultri-light of course) best for our style of traveling. 'twill be fun!
            Chuck
            So. Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebait Ranch View Post
              Yep! Good eyesite. I own the largest flock of them in Southern Oregon. Even the bald eagles avoid my property. Feed bill is huge, too! That is why I take them backpacking, the meadows in the back country look like a football field when they get through munchin on the greens.
              Dang. I'm jealous. You own a whole flock of tauntauns. How'd you get them? I know. You went camping on Hoth and brought some back with you.

By the way, have you ever stayed at the Tu Tu Tun Lodge or golfed at Bandon Dunes? I've been meaning to make it out there for both of those for the past four years, but haven't yet.

Comment

Bugging out this weekend for mid-hills campground. We as a team aren't going so I'm going solo to Mojave Desert Preserve. Just for a couple of days. Suppose to rain like the dickens on Saturday here. But I talked to a friend and he has seen early blooms of Desert Star and a few Beavertail Prickly Pear around Wee Thump Recreation Area. I'm gonna investigate that! Flowers already! Whoopee!:D I love campin' and the otes' will be my night music. I'll have photos, of course!:p
                Last edited by renodesertfox; 02-05-2010, 09:01 AM.
                Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
                X