Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's Campin': May 2010

Howdy Campateers,
    Wow! It's almost May already the year is flyin' by! So, who is camping in May 2010? If you'd like to chat then post up and share a little or a lot of details, whatever you are comfortable with. For an example here's what we are doing....staying dry mostly. Ha!

Really, we are planning a dispersed camping trip to either Independence Lake in the Plumas National Forest or to Juniper Lake in the Lassen National Park & Forest. These places are both in the eastern Sierra Nevada Mountains(California) and only about 2 hours from Reno. I think we are going between the 15th to the 23rd, not sure yet. The roads into these areas are 4x4 roads and motorized water-craft are not allowed. Last week we ventured to Eagle Valley Lake in the Lassen National Forest and found a tent only campground but it's on a large lake and we fear large crowds and powered-boats. The camping season doesn't kick off until Memorial Day, but we like to get out before the crowds gather.

So who's goin' campin', May 2010?
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Yup, FINALLY, we are going to start the camping season this month. I am like a kid at Christmas waiting on the days to pass by.

On May 14 and 15th we are going to Cades Cove, my favorite place on earth to kick off the season. It's a lovely valley in the Great Smokey Mts with tons of wildlife and beautiful scenery. Another friend and his girlfriend are going to be camping in the spot beside of us. Planning on hiking to Abrams Falls and to enjoy the wildlife waking up after a long hard winter. Should be some good memories. Last year the bears were so bad they closed the trail to Abrams Falls and we didnt get to go. Then, the last time we went, it snowed 4 inches so we sorta hunkered down at base camp and just played games.

Then, on May 28, 29 and 30 we are going to Smokemont for our first time. It also is located in the Great Smokey Mts. cept it is right beside the Cherokee Indian Reservation. It will be the first day this campground will be open for the season. We are planning on a hike to Clingmans Dome with a elevation of over 6600 feet. My daughters have never been so we are all excited. We are also going to the Reservation so the lil ones can learn more about the plight of the Chreokee Nation.

Two great trips to kick the season off. We are building up to our trip of a lifetime...Yellowstone next year. We have several more camping trips planned this year but I will save all the juicy info about those for their respective month.

I do have one question...Should I make my posts about each of these trips in this thread? I will be blogging our trip to Yellowstone so I want to do a few posts about our trips this year for feedback about what people like to read and see about camping. I plan on tossing out lots of pics and stories so should they be in these "monthly camping" threads?

Look forward to a great season and sharing some laugfhes and experiences with everyone!

Comment

I'm heading up to Camp Apex in Greenfield, MA over Memorial Day Weekend. This may be one of my most unique trips in that it's for a wedding. The evening of/following the wedding we're allowed to camp out and continue the festivities.

Comment

Hey Smokey Mtn, I think you should start your own threads, with your own title and such. That way also, when google starts googling, you'll get your own reference and a link here. My case in point...is the thread I started about Murphy's Laws. Well if you just happen to be on a google search for Murphy's Laws...you'll find me(renodesertfox) listed from camping forums. That's how a lot of folks have found camping forums...by searching something else and then they see a link from cf.

BTW: My bride, Desert Rose is from Sweetwater, TN and she worked at Cades Cove when she was working her way through college. We too have always like Cades Cove and trampled all over that land! Thanks for sharing your stories! Always a great read! Good luck with blogging! I've heard one can make some doe blogging, but that is demanding...here I'm just having fun!

Comment

DR, take some photos to share here and we will love to hear all about your adventure!

Comment

Yep, finally...... Me and some MC riding buddies are planning to ride up to Andersonville, the big Civil War historical site in mid-May, and camp up there a couple nights and see the sights. Got two digital cameras, but planning to get another SD card for each. Ran out of pic space on my last big trip - don't wanna do that again!
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
              Hey Smokey Mtn, I think you should start your own threads, with your own title and such. That way also, when google starts googling, you'll get your own reference and a link here. My case in point...is the thread I started about Murphy's Laws. Well if you just happen to be on a google search for Murphy's Laws...you'll find me(renodesertfox) listed from camping forums. That's how a lot of folks have found camping forums...by searching something else and then they see a link from cf.

BTW: My bride, Desert Rose is from Sweetwater, TN and she worked at Cades Cove when she was working her way through college. We too have always like Cades Cove and trampled all over that land! Thanks for sharing your stories! Always a great read! Good luck with blogging! I've heard one can make some doe blogging, but that is demanding...here I'm just having fun!
              Thanks for the tip Reno, I will plan on doing a thread for all my camping trips including pics. I want to find what other campers like reading. The blog for the Yellowstone trip was "awarded" to me and my family and there is suppose to be plenty of support. I am new to the "tech camping" but plan on having fun with it. I will toss out some ideas here and see what sticks.

I can tell you one thing...I guarantee your bride is very pretty and is 100% lady. Being from Sweetwater, she has good bloodlines and those southern gals are very easy on the eyes. I know...I married one too. I am from Knoxville just up the road a piece.

I bet your bride enjoyed her work, if you can call it that, at Cades Cove. I have so many fond memories of the Cove and I am serious...it is MY favorite place on earth and I have been to 37 states and 4 countries. Maybe because its "home" but is sure is special. Tell your bride that I will make sure and post some pics from my camping @ Cades Cove for viewing pleasure.

Sorry to side track the thread, sorta. Anyway, thanks again for your tip and I will post my tail end off about my camping experiences. Also, tell your bride that East Tennessee is in full bloom and looking marvelous.

Comment

Dang-it, dang-it! The Sierra Mountains tenting season will not start until May 25 and we are planning on camping May 15 to May 23. So........YIPPEE!! We have decided to head for the coast of northern California instead! It'll be....maybe Redwoods national Park or Redwood State Park. California really helps the disabled Vet with cheaper camping rates that any other western state that I have camped in. Of course, that's our plans and we've chosen a couple of places that do not take reservations and are for tents only! The kayak is going too and we are planning on hitting Lake Tolowa just north of Crescent City, CA. This sitting here wishing I was camping is almost done! It's time for campin' season for this Reno-boy!

Comment

Hickory Run State Park, PA

We went this weekend to Hickory Run in PA. We'll be heading out the third weekend in August for 4 nights. Just have to figure out where. Probably Rickett's Glen. Our longest trip this year will be down to WV. Just not sure where yet -- sometime in July. Here are some pics from Hickory Run...

Comment

Glad to hear that your recent campout was a success! Thanks for the photos!

We are going campin' this weekend to Stampede Lake, elevation 6000' in the eastern Sierra Nevada Mountains just north of Truckee, CA. We found a campground opened with no host and no Iron Ranger. The weatherman is saying that Reno will be cloudy again and cool in the 60s. NOAA says that Stampede Lake's Friday night's temp will be 25f, Saturday's high, 40f, Saturday night 30f, Sunday's high 49f. 70% chance of rain and snow flurries to 4700'! Perfect weather for us and the Kodiak Canvas! We are taking the kayak too but it may stay atop the jeep and get wet from the sky, oh well! This is the year that winter never ends! Flowers and trees are blooming in Reno, but in the Sierra it's still winter! This is going to be the best weekend since we moved up here!!:D

Comment

Campin' Again, by cracky!

Campin' Again? You bet! We are leavin' May 19th returning May 24th. Don't know where yet exactly. Hopefully somewhere's in the eastern Sierra Nevada Mountains. We are starting to pack differently now, takin' less extras. Never needed bug juice before cause in the desert the critters can't survive. Different story here, by cracky!

Good luck to you Dawg campin' in Andersonville! Bring back plenty stories & photos!

Comment

Camping season is here for the Smokey Mtn. Camper and family. We head out to Cades Cove early friday morning. The weather looks kinda rough with severe storms for friday afternoon but we are use to it and will be prepared. Thats part of camping in the south. High humidity and afternoon thunderstorms. I will make sure and take plenty of pics to share.

Comment

please do take lots of pics!!

Will be camping next thurs for 5 days at elkmont. Hopefully weather cooperates with us, if not. We'll just have to stay in the tents and keep ourselves warm with some liquor and make the best of it.

Comment

Gear sorted and packed, and awaiting "Go Time" tomorrow morning!
                            I even bought a new digital camera.
                            Old one's are an HP with 3.2MP and does only 76 pics internally, and a Samsung at 2.1MP, don't know how many pics it'll do, as it keeps turning off when I try to snap a pic!. Irritating.....

New one is a Nikon Coolpix L22 - 12MegaPixels and takes over a thousand pics on it's 4Meg card! I sprang for the full 'kit' with padded case, the 4Meg card was half price, and a minitripod. It even came with batteries! The LCD monitor is far better than the old units!

So yeah, I'll be taking a LOT of pics! :D

I'm packing light for this trip - one-man Bivytent, minimal clothes, light blanket, FD food and ministove.
                            Staying over three nights, so I assume we'll be doing a lot of riding around that area.
                            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by noodles View Post
                              please do take lots of pics!!

Will be camping next thurs for 5 days at elkmont. Hopefully weather cooperates with us, if not. We'll just have to stay in the tents and keep ourselves warm with some liquor and make the best of it.
                              You are in for a real treat. Elkmont is awesome. You will be able to fish...tube...drink...relax and take in the full show. Make sure and take a trip to Laurel Falls. Very easy hike on one of only 2 paved trails. You are also only minutes from Gatlinburg if anyone wants to do some shopping. There is a river than runs through the middle of the campground so you will always be close to water. I am excited for ya!

BIGDOG...I am with ya, Gear is sorted and checked as well. However, I am traveling HEAVY. I cant even imagine what its going to look like when we travel to Yellowstone. :eek: I believe my wife has packed everything possible and then some. Thats the great thing about Car camping. I am leaving at first light so I will see you guys when I get back. Lots of pics will be posted.

Comment

Working...
                              X