No announcement yet.

Who's Campin': May 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dawg-I know you'll love your new camera! Have fun!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Lol did you mention shopping? Wait tll i tell the girls this..thanks so much for the advice. I LOVE THIS FORUM & THE PPL!!

Comment

Originally posted by noodles View Post
        Lol did you mention shopping? Wait tll i tell the girls this..thanks so much for the advice. I LOVE THIS FORUM & THE PPL!!
        There is more shopping within 20 miles from your camp site than there is in New York City! Lots of gteat buys from national brands. I am telling ya, your going to be a hero when the dust settles. You are in for a great trip!

I just got back from my season opening camp trip. The weather was just horrendous but we were prepared and had a great time. 2+ inches of rain for the weekend but enough good weather to get some hiking in. We did hike to Abrams falls and I will toss up some pics when time allows.

My best friend and his son camped beside us so there were lots of tall tales and laughter to last a lifetime. Even though the weather was not so great, it was nice to knock the dust of our gear and to "practice" for our next trip in 2 weeks.

The bears were out in full force this weekend as well. After we got setup, the weather was beautiful. About an hour before dark the thunder started and soon after the heavy rain. The ranger station got right at a inch in about 3 hours. As we sat in our dry, screened in canopy, I saw a big fat momma bear and three cubs headed right for our camp. With it raining so hard, the rangers were not out to shoo them away so there we sat staring at 4 bears within 50-60 yards of us.

I decided to start amking noise but through the thunder and heavy rain, they could care less. They got within 35 yards of us before they decided to head in another direction. It was pretty interesting to say the least.

All in all, the whole weekend we saw 9 bears...10+ wild turkeys...2 coyotes...countless deer...1 copperhead...several raccoons. The weather was pretty bad but we sure got our fill of wildlife.
        Last edited by Smokey Mtn. Camper; 05-17-2010, 07:36 PM.

Comment

This Wednesday, May 19 to May 24, Monday...we are off to the wonderful land of Oz...err...wrong message! Ha Ha! We are going back to camp at Boca Springs. Six wonderful days of camping bliss! The 'yak is going too and we'll dip it into Prosser Lake. We ordered new campin' chairs from Cabela's and they came in today and are already in the jeep. We also ordered a new lockable Coleman 64 quart steel-belted cooler which might be in by Tuesday. I hope! Fly fishing gear is ready and our menu is almost done! Picked up "Backwoods Off" and Bear Spray, just in case. Tomorrow, Monday a short span of cooler weather is again upon us but should be gone by Thursday...but we just roll with what is dealt and play our hand to win! We're going campin', again!! Twice this month! Yippee!!:D:D Thanks for looking and we hope that you're camping too soon!

Comment

Well, I am back home, from my weekend of motorcycle camping and touring around the Codele, Plains and Americus, Georgia area.
            The Andersonville POW Museum was very depressing - a lot of misery went on there - good site to visit though.
            The Georgia Veteran's Memorial State Park was good too, for a 'family oriented' place - not too noisy, they do enforce 'quiet hours'. They also have a good Veteran's Museuam and a bunch of military aircraft and vehices on display. They have golf, a marina, swimming beach, a restaurant on site - nice place for RV folks especially. The tent spots were somewhat separate from the RV's but not totally segregated. But, the Host of our loop was right across the entry road from us, if we needed anything - nice Cajun feller.
            We also rode to Plains to tour the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library in his old elementary school. That town lives & breathes The Carter Family! Even say Billy Carter's old gas station...
            On the way back to camp, we stopped at a Mennonite-run restaurant, that served cafeteria style. Good food! "Yoders" just outside Montezuma, Georgia. Y'all know about the Mennonites - like Amish but with priviledges..... :D
            The bikes all did well, though one scooter was having auto-clutch problems the final day. Our KLR650's ran without problems, as expected!
            We got some rain Sunday night and Monday morning, but the ride home was fairly dry.

My new camera worked well - I have downloaded the pics to my PC, but still need to get them onto a photo hosting account. I will do that Tuesday while 'recuperating'!
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Memorial Weekend 2010

Back to the hills! We camped last at Boca Springs and we were in-between mobile-home trailers and people who thought they were campin' watching a football game in the woods! Ha! That ain't campin'!

Anywho we are gone again this month May 29-31 to the wild backcountry of the Tahoe National Forest and dispersed camping! And I ain't given out directions either! People in huge mobile-homes thinking that they are campin'...blah! I had to ask the camp-host to ask them idiots to turn their generators off at 10:15 PM. I had to ask the camp-host to ask them to be quiet from partying at 11PM. We are gonna try!

Comment

Hehehe.....
                I got this tidbit off another camping forum:
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is when we realized that we were campers not Rv’ers.
                Campers spend enjoyable weeks in constant contact with the environment whatever it may be. Rv’ers turn up the AC when it gets too warm.
                Campers sleep with the gentle fragrance of pine needles all around them, RV’ers sweep the concrete pad clean so as to avoid trailing all that dirt into the RV.
                Campers sit by the crackling campfire and feel the heat on their faces while your butt is freezing. RV’ers adjust the satellite dish to see if they can get the next Packers game on HDTV.
                Enough of that (draggin’ the whole house around with us)!
                :D
                Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
                  Dang-it, dang-it! The Sierra Mountains tenting season will not start until May 25 and we are planning on camping May 15 to May 23. So........YIPPEE!! We have decided to head for the coast of northern California instead! It'll be....maybe Redwoods national Park or Redwood State Park. California really helps the disabled Vet with cheaper camping rates that any other western state that I have camped in. Of course, that's our plans and we've chosen a couple of places that do not take reservations and are for tents only! The kayak is going too and we are planning on hitting Lake Tolowa just north of Crescent City, CA. This sitting here wishing I was camping is almost done! It's time for campin' season for this Reno-boy!
                  You are going to have a great time along that area of the coast. Stand by for poison oak:rolleyes:
                  Chuck
                  So. Oregon
                  TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
                  TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
                  SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Where is the "Who's camping in June" thread?

Because I AM!

Going to one of the places Reno suggested next weekend. Probably Fallen Leaf Lake.

Can't wait, I'm so excited!
                    My Other Interest

Comment

Working...
                    X