Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• camping tips?

Hello everyone,
    I havent been caming in a long time and do to some unfortunate events I am now homeless. A friend of my has graciously given me his tent and I'm Going to be camping for the forseable future. I'm just wondering what I need as basics and any tips you could give would be fantastic. I currently have: A tent, a tarp, a blanket, warm cloths, and a pot. Any advice would be greatly apreciated. Thankyou in advance. -Ryan

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate turn of events but it sounds like you have a good attitude and plan on making "lemonaid out of the lemons you have been given.

I would pick up and camp axe and some rain gear. Make sure and use your tarp to keep your gear dry. Staying dry is very improtant to your survival. Not sure how big your tarp and tent are but make sure and have both "guyed" at every point. Spring time can bring some sudden changes in the weather and if you are not prepared it can make your life difficult.

I would also look into some sort of sleeping pad. They are pretty inexpensive and can help keep you warm and dry. I wish you were in my neck of the woods cause I could sure give you some gear to help get you through these hard times. If you had some sort of addy I would be willing to mail you a few things but that is your call.

Good luck and make the best of the situation. Remember, keep yourself and your gear dry at all costs...very important. I am serious about the gear. I will be glad to help out with some decent gear. Good luck...stay dry and be careful.

Comment

At the grocery stores they now carry some very large Zip-lock bags - three gallon, even some that you can stuff a blanket or lots of clothes into. Keeps them dry.

Most campgrounds here in Florida allow camping for up to fourteen days contiguous, then you have to leave and go elsewhere. Luckily, we have a LOT of campgrounds! Some are free or have a minimum fee.
      There was a time when I very nearly was in the same boat!
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Sorry to hear of your situation........too many wealthy people not caring about the less fortunate.
        But that is a whole different thread.
        I remember watching a TV docu about this homeless guy who got streetsmart very quick.
        I remember one thing he said was your biggest enemy was grease.
        He said in the wintertime, while dumpster diving in search of food, the worst thing to get on your skin was grease.
        Makes the skin dry parched and susceptible to infection.
        Remember to keep clean and dry.
        Not like you can walk into Indigo, but try to borrow a book or two on survival tips, Les Stroud's Survive is a good one.
        I hope that things go OK for you, or in fact turn around.
        All the best.

Comment

Go to a homeless shelter in the area you are at, ask to speak to the director, and ask him/her the questions you have posed to us. That person will know what you will need, and probably know where to get what you need cheap.

If you have the funds, scour yard sales for what you are needing: pot, lid, fork, knife, whatever.

If you can fork out the funds, buy a water filter. If not, get iodine pills. Clean/safe drinking water will go a long way in keeping you in good health.

Hope things turn around for you..................
          Chuck
          So. Oregon
          TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
          TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
          SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate turn of events........

Newspaper, even-though the ink rubs off easily is a good insulator next to your body under your outer clothes. Hopefully your tent is small enough that you can keep it with you. Try to keep what you have with you, theft from others is very common. Avoid grease from dumpsters. A homeless shelter is a good thing, a hot meal goes a long way. Staying dry is very important and even staying clean is another important factor. If you can find a large black or grey plastic bag, that can be use as a poncho to keep you dry also. A sewing needle and thread is very small and lightweight, but will come in handy to darn socks or tears in your shirt and pants. Car pads. The small carpets that people put in their cars to rest their feet on are good cheap insulators if you can find them in dumpsters. Cardboard too has many uses.
            Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
            Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
            X