Camping with Dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping with Dogs

I've got 2 Chinese Cresteds. They're 12 lbs - hairless dogs - bred for keeping you warm on cool nights (hence the saying: "3 dog night").

I see there are a bunch of pet tents out there - seems silly. But what I'm really asking is this: during the day when you're sitting outside cooking, what do you think is the best way to contain two dogs? Can't tie them up because they'll get all tangled around each other. Any ideas?

Howdy Dog Lover

Welcome to camping forums, we all hope your stay with us is a long and happy camping journey! Using the leather leash and a specially-designed tether that fastens around a tree, a picnic table leg, etc., it is possible to create a really long restraint that allows your dogs almost total freedom within your campsite. Since you have two dogs, tether them far apart -- just close enough so that they can be side-by-side only at the end of both restraints -- otherwise, dog tangles occur. And what a joy that can be....! Have you gone camping with your dogs before? How did they do?
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I camped out last fall - with no tent, under the stars - with one dog. She kept me warm, alright. Now my dog and I have adopted a puppy. So it'll be more of an adventure.

I like the leather leash tether idea. I'm also looking at a movable dog playpen that gets good reviews:
      http://www.amazon.com/IRIS-Plastic-E...pr_product_top

Good for smaller breeds, but probably wouldn't work on a big young dog.

Thanks for the good advice. Ha ha. Thinking of all those pet tents they sell on ebay - can't imagine the dog that would tolerate being alone in a tent like that.

Comment

I think in campgrounds the main thing is the barking when you are not there. Fort Pickens, Florida, has a dog loop apart from the regular loop. Personally, I think it would be smart to take dogs if you are going deep to warn you of preditors-2 and 4 footed.

Comment

I have a german Shepard and a small mix breed that I camp with occaisionally. The Shepard just sits where ever I am at and the mixed breed usually stays in his crate. We take those metal crates that break down really flat and that is their home away from home. With 2 dogs that small, you could get one crate that is large enough for both if they are already used to being in a crate.

Whenever we have the dogs out and about we make sure and tether them where their tethers cant cross otherwise you have one huge mess. Also, if your dogs are not use to camping, it will take sometime for them to adjust. I have had dogs that handel it very well and other dogs that thought they were to good to sit on the ground so it all depends on the dogs attitude.

Good luck with your camping with dogs. It can be a blast watching them see a wild animal for the first time. Dogs can be more fun to camp with than some humans I have been around.

Comment

It is of absolute importance that your dog's vaccinations be up-to-date, as dogs can encounter unvaccinated animals while camping. Dog licenses should also be current. And ask your vet about the areas where you will be camping/traveling, as some carry additional health risks for dogs and may warrant additional precautions.

This is a copy from a few pages back, but worth repeating.

Camp Etiquette: Camping with Fido
            Howdy,
            Here are 5(five) easy things to remember when you decide to take your dog camping with you.

1) Always keep your dog on a leash:

This sounds so trite and as a dog owner you have heard it time and time again. But, it is one of the most common problems. There are a number of issues associated with letting your dog off-leash in a campground. First, they could get lost while running after a rabbit, deer, or coyote. Second, there might be a bigger, dog-aggressive dog tied up in the next campsite that could eat your dog for lunch. Third, you are giving the rest of us a bad rap and the campground might decide to ban dogs. Enough said, I hope.

2) Call ahead:

Even though campground guides may tell you that the campground accepts dogs. Be sure to call ahead, because many of them only accept dogs under 25 pounds or they charge per pet.

3) Clean up after your dog:

A friend has found that the bags sold for doggie do do are very expensive in pet stores. Instead, they use simple food storage bags from the grocery store. Not the kind with zipper seals, but the plain old gallon size food storage bags with twist ties. These are slightly larger than the pet store bags at less than half the price. The only drawback is that they are clear instead of colored, but you’ll get used to it!

4) Make sure your dogs don’t bark too much:

A lot of dog guides recommend that you stay home if you have a dog that barks too much. This is not fair, every dog should go camping. If you have a dog that barks his head off at the drop of a pin, you probably better spend some time training him. Try to give him treats whenever he stops barking upon command, eventually he will get the picture.

5) Dog aggressive or people aggressive dogs:

Again, everything I have read recommends that you keep these kinds of dogs at home. I disagree. Dog aggression and people aggression are often natural behaviors for dogs. The trick is to keep these dogs under ABSOLUTE control at all times. You must be diligent in this one, or someone or some dog could be seriously injured. Here is what I have learned from our friend's dog that is afraid of strangers and weighs 130 pounds.

a) Get a restraining collar that provides total control of your dog.

b) Please leash them outdoors at the campsite, always be outside with them.

c) Don’t take them for hikes on trails, this is asking for trouble.

d) Find a campground with spacious sites.

e) If you must take them in crowded situations, use a muzzle (but only use a muzzle sparingly).

f) Be vigilant at all times.

Following these five simple rules will allow you and your dogs to enjoy camping, while not creating any complaints from other campers. If you do receive a complaint for any reason, try to be bigger than the complainant - act calmly and address the problem. After all, you are going camping to enjoy life!

Please feel free to add to this, anyone...I have never camped with a dog. Just thought that this would make an interesting article. On a lighter note it is Desertrose that keeps me on a short leash at all times! Heehee!
            Last edited by renodesertfox; 05-13-2010, 12:33 PM.
            Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
            Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Whenever I am on the trail, or traveling, I take a dog. They are one of the best protectors against both 2 and 4 legged intruders in a campsite. I carry rope to string between trees to give the dog a "run" and a sense of freedom - when having to deal with civilization. At night, assuming I take my two person tent, the dog sleeps outside the tent, near the food. But, if the weather turns yucky, then inside she comes.

That's my 2 cents...............
              Chuck
              So. Oregon
              TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
              TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
              SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Agree with RENODESERTFOX, especially item 3! Over here in the UK there is a campaign which states 'there is no dog poo fairy' encouraging ppl to pick up after their dogs.

Over here I have camped at many sites, mainly in Devon and Cornwall and am appallled by how many people dont pick up after their dogs! Especially on parks where children play in playgrounds, it's plain irresponsible!

I love Barney and Pebbles (our two Labs) to bits, but im finding that more and more campsites arent allowing dogs because people dont pick up after them :( which means we have to spend ages calling them all up to check or leave them with friends.

And re: the using freezer bags - great idea! I have a DickyBag - not sure if you have them in the US? but its basically a bag designed for carrying your bags in and even full ones (it has an air freshener). You could easily use your freezer bags in this too. Keeps your hands free for better things when out walking with your dogs.

Whats the US like for allowing dogs? Was thinking that we might venture abroad but dont know where's best for travelling with our 4-legged friends?

Cheers!
                Rosie

Comment

Working...
                X