Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online auctions: Worth it or not?

Howdy Campateers!
    The biggest advantage of Internet is that it is world’s largest marketplace where more and more people now prefer to do their shopping online. Also there has been an increase in number of traders and marketers willing to put up their products for sale online. So what is the reason behind this online shopping trend? Many people prefer finish their shopping buy just few clicks rather than spending time on knocking each shops door and analyzing the products which is timing consuming and tiring. Instead they prefer browsing through all the sites which offer them the particular product they looking out for, like mobile phones, and taking their time to decide which model to go for and if it is worth the bib.

So the question is if buying any items from online auction really worth? Online auctioning dose have a number of advantages. Online auctions have become a way of life for internet users. There are hundreds of websites through which one can participate in the online auction. These online auction based e-commerce model has its own advantages. There are many reasons why one should go for online auctions.

First, online shopping allows the buyers to browse through many online virtual shops. This gives the buyers a huge variety to choose from and to compare the prices and quality of the services. They can read the testimonials put up on the site by previous users and decide accordingly to go for it. The sellers can also analyze the market demand and then put up the products which the seller thinks will sell the most.

The buyers can also find the most competitive deal possible. Most online auction sites have more than one seller offering the same product, and buyers can buy products from a seller that is offering the most competitive price. Similarly, a seller can also choose to auction products at a minimum price and the game goes that anything over and above the price is a bonus for the buyer. The sites also allow the seller to choose if he wants to sell or not a product if the minimum auction price is not met.

In this highly competitive business you come across a number of online retail shops that deliver top-quality consumer products across brands and demographic locations. In order to keep up with the competition they continuously add new products to their catalogs. They cater to the needs of all kinds of consumers; individual customers and corporate end-users. This is of course important as today anyone from house wives to business giants prefer this medium of shopping.

However, as the buyer, one needs to remember a number of things if wants to find the best online shopping deals. Safety and security issues obviously come first. Shop with those merchant who provide secure payment gateways. Before you purchase do research about the items. Browse the web sites selling the product and read customer testimonials. There is always a risk of snipping in online auction business so make sure the sites you dealing with has proper security measures.

I have used E-bay for an example to bid and purchase at auction camera gear. The bidding was fast-paced and a number of times I lost the item. But I hung in there and later I was successful at having the winning bid. So is it worth it to you? Thanks for looking when you're not campin'!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I have sniped, and been sniped - par for the course in auctions. Some will close bidding for the final minute or so to minimise this.

I pay very close attention to the seller's reputation - still have had problems occasionally.

I DO NOT use PayPal - first they are anti-gun - BIG no-no for me. Secondly, they have a bad reputation for taking folks money, locking it up during disputes, and generally poor policies. One company I deal with online (not a auction, but a store) forces me to use PP but via my own CC. So I have a PP account but will NOT keep money in it.

Beware the 'bidding war'! It's too easy to get caught up in the action and run up the price over retail level! And keep in mind shipping costs!

I do a lot of 'online shopping' for items I can't find locally, and it can save money if done smartly!

I also kind of like the fact I can do my shopping sitting in my skivvies at home, and not go Mall Crawling! :D
    Then wait for the "BBT"

"Big Brown Truck"!
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

As far as eBay goes, as a collector, it is almost a must. I mean you will just see stuff there you will not see in 100 Estate Flea or Garage Sales. Yes you have to pay shipping, but that is part of the game.

I use money orders not paypal.

Comment

Ebay has allowed me to purchase 3 high-end tents at 60% off MSRP. Ebay guarantees their sellers products and sellers are honest or lose their valuable selling priviledges. I've had a couple of issues and always got my money back or satisfaction, guaranteed. Otherwise when I buy online, I rate the seller and not just the item:

www.resellerratings.com

Then I can buy with confidence, whether a flat-screen HDTV or a Coleman Lantern Stand.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
        X