TOC with Trailers/RVs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TOC with Trailers/RVs?

Admittedly there are more tent only campgrounds in the western U.S. than in the Midwest or eastern states, but why are trailer, small...large...and even some RVs allowed to park there? Designated campgrounds that say for tents only I have seen house and welcome trailers. But the reverse isn't accepted. On some federal property, there are RV sites and national forest campgrounds as well as private campgrounds that cater to trailers and RVs and won't allow a tenter in, why? I mean, I personally hate camping next to an RV or large trailer that has a generator because in a tent there is no sound barrier from the drone of even the quietest generator. But why is it that trailers, RVs are allowed to park in a campground that is designed for tents?

This last December, we camped at Manzanita Campground in Oak Creek Canyon outside of Sedona, AZ and it is a designated TOC(tent only campground) yet there were two cab-over campers parked there camping. And last weekend we camped at Sardine Lake Campground in the Sierras, that campground didn't even have large spaces for an auto to park but there was a 31' trailer(white) parked there. One had to ease around the trailer sticking out in the roadway and an RV(white) came in, in the wrong direction so it could park in the site it wanted and it stuck out also in the roadway. Why is it that trailers and RVs always want to camp in TOC? I have also traveled over some very rough ground with little clearance thinking that no trailer will be there. But upon arrival...there they are? I guess people just don't care if they wreck the underside of their trailers & RVs. Thanks for lookin! Your thoughts, welcomed!:confused:
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Being a tenter myself, I think these AH's should be reported to the rangers and ticketed - heavy! If they are sticking into the roadway - that is a highway safety infraction! Sheriff Deputy should be jerking a knot in that fool's tail. :mad:
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I can only speak for the areas I camp in but I can assure you if those RV,s and trailers showed up at a TOC, they would not be allowed to stay. If they were sticking out into the traffic lanes, they would be asked to leave at once and would be ticketed.

It sounds to me like there is not enough "enforcement" in the areas you were talking about. I would of asked the local enforcement to step in. That is one of my pet peeves...people who dont follow the rules ruin it for everybody and I make a bunch of noise when this occurs when I am around.

I caught a family trying to feed a bear when I went to Smokemont and my family was a bit embarrassed at my scolding them. I probably did go off a bit to much but that sorta thing really pisses me off. Needless to say, that is one family that wont be talking about the great southern hospitality that recieved when camping in the Smokies. Hopefully, they wont be back...I am usually aas easy to get along with as anyone but when I see people who flagrantly break the rules, I am not bashful in making sure they understand what the rules and laws are.

Sorry for the rant but that sorta thing really flips my trigger...:D

Comment

Yeah, I made the complaint to the local law but they differed me to the camping management...it's still pending.

But I do go off like you on other things. Both of these wanna-be campers had dogs. The dogs on separate occasions came into our space un-leashed and I gave the owner a good tongue lashing! Dogs should be controlled at all times...but they're friendly...was the reply. Not the right answer. One of the campers said that they would talk to the camp host about my complaining, Ha Ha! Later the camp host came by and told me that she set them straight on the rules! People with dogs think that everyone will like their pet. Well, I'll like him/her if the dog is on a leash! I'm a tenter and I like my peace and quiet even in an organized campground, by cracky! I told one guy: "Suppose I had a pit-bull would you like it if I let him run all over the place?" I'll pepper spray bears and if need be I'll pepper spray a dog too!
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
        X