Grades of Camping gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grades of Camping gear?

I was at Wal Mart and noticed that Coleman has several "grades" of camping gear. The really inexpensive, and the Coleman "Max". When i got home I went to Colemans web site and noticed that they also have a "X" grade for backpacking.

I go to motorcycle rallies, and backpacking gear fits on my bike best. I have used a Coleman tent and a REI sleeping bag at the first two rallies this year. Several friends mentioned that "Big Agnes" makes really comfortable gear.

Big Agnes has a pillow pocket built into their sleeping pads as well as a pocket on the bottom for the pad. These are two things that I think would make sleeping outdoors much more comfortable.

I confess that by just looking at the gear my untrained eye can't really tell why one tent cost $50, and other cost $150 and a third may have cost $350 or more. :eek:

Having gear that is compact is a big advantage, when traveling on a motorcycle. Is the $150 tent really 3x "better" than the $50 tent? How? What should I look for when buying a tent or sleeping bag? :confused:

I'm willing to spend more $$ if I'm getting good value for the extra $$ spent

Thanks for your assistance

It definitely pays to buy quality. I have been motorcycle camping since 2006, and went through the 'cheap gear' phase. It has left me wet or very uncomfortable a few times......

I replaced a cheap Sportsman's Guide bivytent with a far superior Eurka just recently - hope to test the Eureka soon. Being a BIG guy, I went tot he Coleman MAX folding chair instead of the smaller type - takes my weight and is much more comfy - but is NOT small enough for bike use - I'll still use my smaller chair for bike camping.
    I use the Coleman MAX one-burner propane cartridge stove - small, light-weight and works well.
    Instead of those flimsy aluminum cooksets, I use a GI Surplus stainless steel canteen cup (I carry two GI one-quart canteens always!) - it's all I need to hot up a good meal!
    Still looking for a good sleeping bag that fits me and packs down fairly tight - I bought one from Sportsman's Warehouse (a 'Teton') before they went under, and it's a nice one - but the zipper was on the wrong side for use with the bivytent! It will work with the new two-door Eureka tent though, and I eager look forward to testing it. This bag is rated for zero degrees, is extra long and should serve well - it packs down a lot tighter than my old cotton shell sleeping bags too!

Check in the gallery and you'll see some pics of my camping setup. It's always a learning experiece!
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

As Bigdog states, you get what you pay for. High-end gear (tents, ThermaRest pads, etc.) can be purchased on Ebay for 60% off at auction new-in-the-box but you have to do the work researching them. Companies like Sierra Designs, Marmot, NorthFace and Big Agness make quality tents for motorcycle camping. I use an Electron model, now replaced with a similar model Meteor Light. I paid $90 for this $200 tent and I could put 3 of them in one saddlebag with room to spare! I don't like the Big Agnes sleeping pads, they're really just ThermaRest knockoffs to me and the pillow pocket would be worthless since I need flexibility. If you don't like following auctions, I'd recommend using www.resellerratings.com for price, and more importantly, seller reputation. See you out there!
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Not a biker.. but

I'll back up the above statements that it does pay to pay for quality. I purchased a cheap Wentzel tent last year and was sleeping in puddles. I have used Coleman tents with some success, but the quality isn't as good as another Kelty tent that I recently purchased. The aluminum poles are just awesome compared to the fiberglass ones on cheaper tents.
        Needs for Facebook Fans. My mom doesn't really count. http://bit.ly/d7QHYI

Comment

I own a Big Agnes BH6 and it is without question the best tent I have ever owned. I also have a couple of Big Agnes sleeping pads as well as the Thermarest and I cannot tell a difference in how they sleep. Both are extremely comfortable and very easy to setup. I have become a big fan of Big Agnes gear and their customer support is as good as anyones in the industry. I cant say enough good things about Big Agnes and I have been camping for 40 years. Their gear is simply top shelf. You also get the full support from companies that sell their gear for top dollar which is very important when spending your hard earned cash on gear.

The difference in high dollar tents is usually the fact you get a full rainfly which is extremely important. I would not buy a tent that did not have a full fly. You also get the seams sealed by the factory as well as the seams are fully taped. The aluminum poles that come with the higher priced tents are worth the extra cash.

As far as I am concerned I will NEVER scrimp on my tent. It is your home away from home so you want the best possible tent that you can afford. A leaking tent can cause some headaches when camping so do everything possible to get the best. I may spend less on other gear but NEVER on the tent. Also, make sure and get a tent that is rated 2 people bigger than the amount that will be using it. For example...if you have 4 people camping get a 6 person tent. You will have room for gear and room to move around when needed.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

Comment

Working...
          X