Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reservations at Federal Campgrounds

Just to pass on my experience.

I pre-reserved a campsite through recreation.gov for a couple of nights of tent camping - never again! My son came down with stomach flu the day before the trip, and we ended up cancelling the trip. It was bad enough being charged what we were being charged for a site ($18.00/night), but to have to pay for the first night AND a $10.00 cancellation fee?!?!?:eek:

I used to be supportive of use fees at NPS/Corps facilities, but this is flat-out highway robbery coming and going!

I'll take my chances on a walk-up next time (and probably stay at a state park instead as well).

Steve S.

Thanks for passing experience!

That almost exact thing happened to us, our plans changed...we did not even get back the 50% of the 100% we had invested. More like 10% ever came back!

By law most campgrounds in a Federally protected wilderness have to keep 20% of their sites available as walk-in or as first come first served(fcfs), if managed by the NFS. Plus they have to have handicap sites also...alas those are usually cemented over and trying to drive a tent stake in is virtually impossible! However, in California there are cgs in federal forests where a third party has applied to manage and they get to set their own rules. Go figure.

SS you will be among friends here! Hey, some people reserve and some donot! What works for some doesnt always work for everyone. We only go as walk-in or fcfs and have never been turned away. But that is because we choose to camp in less populated areas and during the off season. Thanks for sharing!:D
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Well, leave it to me to be the one that disagrees. I ALWAYS reserve my site when camping in a NPS facility but where I camp, getting a site otherwise can be impossible. I dont mind "donating" the money for my site to the NPS when I have something that comes up. I camp 80% of the time in the Smokies which has no entrance fee so any extra money they can get is a huge help. I even donate money, small amounts, from time to time because I use the NPS quite frequently.

I am sorry but I wont give anyone any sympathy because the were unable to use their spot and forfited any monies. Usually, it is a small amount anyway and that money is used to keep these campgrounds in good shape for everyone.

I am not trying to be mean or antagonize anyone, this is just how I feel. I spend $20.00 per night in season and it is a drop in the bucket to the amount of enjoyment my family and I recieve at these campgrounds. It is a small price to pay to get to camp in the areas that are available. Thats my 2 cents.

Comment

If I was a no-show, that would be one thing. I called over 24 hours in advance, and a $10.00 cancellation fee against a $18.00 reservation (and being charged for both) is simply too high - especially since my family and I get NO enjoyment out of the facility for the $28.00 I am out. (I briefly considered going anyway and spreading our "good fortune" to the rest of the facility, but did the responsible thing and cancelled).

Comment

Working...
        X