Any ideas for Coleman fuel??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas for Coleman fuel??

I will bet $20 that 80% of the people on here that use Coleman fuel in their stoves/lanterns spill about 5-10% of what they pour.
    The 1 gallon steel cans are absolutely terrible for pouring from.
    Anyone have any ideas to simplify this some?
    I had thought of getting a big funnel (to minimize spillage, while trying to minimize spillage!) and pouring the fuel into empty CLEAN dish detergent squeeze bottles, or sports drink bottles with the pop-up cap.

Good idea?...Bad idea?.....
    Just want to get away from the sloshing and spillage of trying to pour into the little yellow fuel funnel straight from the can.

Originally posted by ontariocamper View Post
    I will bet $20 that 80% of the people on here that use Coleman fuel in their stoves/lanterns spill about 5-10% of what they pour.
    The 1 gallon steel cans are absolutely terrible for pouring from.
    Anyone have any ideas to simplify this some?
    hate to say it, but you'd lose your $20 bet with me. I use "Coleman" fuel w/my backpacking stove. I have 2-3 one liter bottles I have to fill each time I go out trail pounding. I don't have a problem w/spillage.......

If the spout is elevated as high as possible, so that air can easily get into the can to displace the gas coming out of the can, the stream seems to be very predictable and controllable. Ten percent; that is a lot of fuel to be losing! I can understand your frustration.:o
    Chuck
    So. Oregon
    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

The problem you are having is due to the fact you are using the "yellow" funnel instead of the "red" funnel. The red is easier to hit therefore less spilling...:D Just kidding!

I feel your pain but I wouldnt feel safe transporting fuel in a plastic container. It's not the possible explosion that would concern me but a possible puncture or leak that would get all over my gear. Have you thought of possibly using those MSR fuel bottles? I dont have any experience with them but the people that I know that use them, swear by them.

I still use the gallon can that it comes in but I dont fill my tanks all the way up to help eliminate spillage. I just take my time and be as careful as I can. Sorry I wasnt much help but I certainly understand your frustrations.

Comment

I use the MSR bottles - much better, and on a camping trip it packs better - don't need a full gallon!
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

MSR bottles????

Comment

They are (usually) red stainless steel bottles about one liter capacity, twist cap, that are designed to carry liquid fuel safely. Campmor and other vendors have them.
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
              They are (usually) red stainless steel bottles about one liter capacity, twist cap, that are designed to carry liquid fuel safely. Campmor and other vendors have them.
              Yes, MSR bottles are the only bottles Susan and I use to carry fuel in on our treks (both in the van and on the trail).

They come in half liter and one liter size.
              Chuck
              So. Oregon
              TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
              TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
              SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

We also use the MSR bottles, I carry 2 X 33 oz. for my Model 288 Coleman Lanterns. Regarding spillage, it's a non-issue and I use the 1-gallon can at home for emptying out the lanterns when we get home (don't let a laquer build up inside them!). I use the red funnel to fill and check levels by tipping the lantern forward until I see the fuel level. I had a problem pouring from those 1-gallon cans as a boy, but my father showed me that I had to turn the can "upside down" so as stated above the spout was at the top of the can. "Voila!" No more spills...
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Screw on Funnel

Coleman makes a red funnel that screws directly on the can. It has a spring inside it and when depressed it allows the fuel to enter whatever device you want to refuel. I have one and it works great. It can be a little slow though due to the lack of air letting the fuel out of the can (vacuum) but it does eliminate the problem you were asking about and that is spilt fuel.

Comment

If you look on the gallon can it shows to turn can sideways with top up. Also get one of the red funnels. If you follow directions you will stop most spills. You could also buy a 1 quart bottle of Coleman fuel at Wal-Mart (at a higher price than by the gallon) and when empty refill from the gallon can.

Comment

I've always transferred over to MSR bottles if I was backpacking, but I can feel the OP's pain. The big cans can be awkward during the pouring.

Comment

Originally posted by rxcamping View Post
                        Coleman makes a red funnel that screws directly on the can.
                        It has a spring inside it and when depressed it allows the fuel to enter whatever
                        device you want to refuel. I have one and it works great. It can be a little slow
                        though due to the lack of air letting the fuel out of the can (vacuum) but it does
                        eliminate the problem you were asking about and that is spilt fuel.
                        I use one of those Coleman spouts as well, saves lots of mess. I never take the gallon can with me, though I prefer to use Nalgene fuel bottles instead of the aluminum MSR or Sigg bottles. The Nalgene fuel bottles are different then the ones people use for water and come with their own handy spouts.

I would be worried about carrying Coleman fuel any any plastic bottle that wasn't intended for it. It's fairly nasty stuff and might melt some plastics.
                        Originally posted by tplife View Post
                        (don't let a laquer build up inside them!))
                        tp if your using Coleman fuel and not Gasoline you shouldn't have much of a problem with varnish buildup.

Comment

Working...
                        X