Tent Peg Mallet and Extractor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent Peg Mallet and Extractor

Can you guys recommend a relibale sturdy tent stake mallet. We had two rubber mallets (one a Coleman) and both had to be retired to the trash after two camping trips. The rubber head of one came off while the stake extractor on the end of the Coleman bent. We picked up one of these at dicks but see they get poor reviews.

I recommend none of them as they never hold up. What works better for us is a Craftsman hammer/hatchet where one side is a hammer and one is a hatchet. We have a 1943 US hatchet cover for it also. The hammer gets the stakes in, no matter what and no damage to the hammer. When we strike camp I place the hatchet sideways under the stake and it comes right out. In addition, I have a hatchet handy, mostly for my daughter to whittle on our woodpile...:D
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I also use a light-weight hatchet - a little one my Grand Dad gave me when I was aboout 12 years old. Slim with a broader hammer head, and the 'nail puller' notch in the bottom of the blade head - I 'hook' it under the stake to lift it.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I actually just picked up a hatchet from Dick's this past Monday. Thanks guys!

Comment

I always use a hammer for inserting and the hachet as a wedge with the claw of the hammer for removing tent stakes. One time I did loan out my hammer at a campsite because this other camper was acting like a caveman trying to pound stakes with a rock(so primitive)! I said to him: "Use this, it works much easier and then if you like it, perhaps you should carry one as well." Ha Ha! I always take a vehicle tool box down-range, mine isn't hardsided, it's more like a doctor's bag but holds all my important items that I would need to work on the jeep should something happen on the trail. And now living near the Sierra Mountains, even in the summer I carry a complete set of tire chains & tow straps.

Same goes for jumper cables and a battery pack to jump my battery if no other camper is around. And even if they're around(another camper) I never ask for help. But I have been asked for help many times! Then I mention this site.
          Last edited by renodesertfox; 07-10-2010, 09:40 AM.
          Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
          Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I have an old framing hammer I use the claws are more straighter than a regular claw hammer so you can get in and pull up the stakes.

Comment

Working...
            X