Hiking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiking

Any tips on Hiking from supplies to precautions? Haven't been hiking yet on our camping trips so would love to hear from you experienced hikers for some advice. :D

Lots of variables depending on the weather and terrain. When we go hiking we ALWAYS take a first aid kit. For some reason, people dont bother with first aid kits when hiking and we have actually used ours on people that have been injured on the trail...numerous times.

Another item that people seem to forget is rain gear. Nothing worse than being a few miles from base camp or vehicle and a summer storm comes rolling in.

We take plenty of high energy snacks as well as plenty of water. Trail maps...compass...bear bell...hiking sticks...camera...these are most of the important items that we usually pack. I have also purchased a lumbar pack that has become very handy when hiking. Its not something that is needed but is extremely handy for easy to reach items.

I am sure I have forgotten some things but these were some of the essentials that we take. I have a 9 year old who is working on her 100 mile pin that the Smokies give out to all those that hike 100 miles within the park. She is currently at 81 miles and is on track to become one of the youngest to ever complete 100 miles within the park.

One other thing depending on where you hike is the type of foliage that is either blooming or that has fruit. Both of these attract bears and we always try to make sure that we are aware of these things when choosing a hike. Just this past weekend we were hiking near some serious blackberry patches and everyone knows that bears LOVE blackberries. We saw over 15 bears on a 5 mile hike but we made enough noise to warn the bears we were coming and had no problems whatsoever.

Comment

Down here, besides the Black Bears during Blackberry Season, it's also when the biting Yellow Flies are bad. Don't forget some GOOD bug dope!
      Take a small digital camera for those 'once-in-a-lifetime' pics!
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Do the bear bells work well to ward off bears? A guy at dicks told me that some bears might interpret this as a dinner bell. :D But I have heard you want them to hear you coming rather than surprising them.

How about a good pair of hiking shoes? You guys reccomend any certain brand?

Comment

Originally posted by WVcamper View Post
          Do the bear bells work well to ward off bears? A guy at dicks told me that some bears might interpret this as a dinner bell. :D But I have heard you want them to hear you coming rather than surprising them.

How about a good pair of hiking shoes? You guys reccomend any certain brand?
          Based on the fact I have yet been attacked by a bear since I started using the bell, I believe it works. :D Seriously, the more noise you make while hiking, the less chance you will encounter a bear. The bell just helps with the noise part. I certainly dont think it is necessary but my kids feel safer while using it so that works for me.

As far as hiking boots...I was taught when you hike, you MUST take care of your feet. Blisters will take down the biggest, baddest man alive. I know, I have seen it happen. Keeping your feet dry is paramount to keeping them blister free. With that said, both my wife and I wear Asolo hiking boots. They are a bit pricey but like I said, keeping your feet in great walking shape is rule number 1 when hiking. as long as you get a good pair that is at least "water resistant" and most importantly comfotable, you shoild be fine.

I know when I first started hiking with my 9 year, I could not keep her from getting her feet wet. She learned the hard way but now she wear waterproof boots and its all I can do to keep up. Teach them youngins at a early age the right way to hike and camp and they will never do it the wrong way.

Comment

Working...
          X