Personal Locator Beacons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Locator Beacons

I posted a question about CB radios but I had a better idea that won't require me to get a FCC license. A PLB. I like it because it's small, easy to use and doesn't require a subscription fee. I really do just intend to ever use it in an emergency. But, I was wondering what happens when you press the emergency button? Do they send out helicopters and a search team or a couple of state troopers and an ambulance first? I doubt I'll ever do any serious hiking where we will be in the middle of nowhere on the top of some mountain. But it is very likely that we will be 150 miles away from the next town and have no cell coverage. Does anyone use one? What about the SPOT locator? I know it has a fee but was wondering if it's as bad as the reviews on Amazon make it out to be.
    May you always have love to share,
    Health to spare
    And friends that care.

PLB Video
    Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
    USMC Retired
    Scout/Sniper

Comment

you have PLB's......and also SPOT satellite.....
      One of these can be programmed to send both your location with built in GPS, and a message to 10 predetermined email addresses.

Comment

Because I do so much solo trail pounding, and sometimes I take the left trail, instead of the right trail, or I decide I want to go to that lake instead of this one over here, and wind up someplace not where I have told Susan I should be, I carry a rescue beacon thingy strapped to my pants belt or on my day pack left arm strap. I hope I never have to use it, but if I do need to be rescued, and I have the ability to get to the thingy, pull the cover off, and pull the string...... my coordinates are sent to the nearest SAR unit, a phone call and message is left on our home phone, and a rescue team will be sent to get me - At least that's what the instructions says it will do:rolleyes:.
        Last edited by Eaglebait Ranch; 07-23-2010, 10:22 PM.
        Chuck
        So. Oregon
        TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
        TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
        SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebait Ranch View Post
          Because I do so much solo trail pounding, and sometimes I take the left trail, instead of the right trail, or I decide I want to go to that lake instead of this one over here, and wind up someplace not where I have told Susan I should be, I carry a rescue beacon thingy strapped to my pants belt or on my day pack left arm strap. I hope I never have to use it, but if I do need to be rescued, and I have the ability to get to the thingy, pull the cover off, and pull the string...... my coordinates are sent to the nearest SAR unit, a phone call and message is left on our home phone, and a rescue team will be sent to get me - At least that's what the instructions says it will do:rolleyes:.
          Which one do you use?
          May you always have love to share,
          Health to spare
          And friends that care.

Comment

One of my hunting and riding buddies carries a SPOT when he's in the woods. It'll send a message to me, his wife and several other of his hunting buddies who know where his hunting lease is. He thinks highly of it.
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by nearlywild View Post
              Which one do you use?
              This is the one I use.
              Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
              USMC Retired
              Scout/Sniper

Comment

Fast Find is the one I use.

I think all three I have see mentioned above have their value. I do like the Spot, for the options it has, but............ Since I typically am not on the trail with others, I personally don't have a need the communication with others mode.

On the other hand, having one of The Spot thingys on my llama a couple of weeks ago may have made "finding him" a lot easier - if the circumstances warranted it.
                Chuck
                So. Oregon
                TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
                TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
                SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Working...
                X