Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way to slow ice from melting in a cooler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best way to slow ice from melting in a cooler?

someone said if i put dry ice at the bottom of the cooler then put regular ice on top of that, along with my meat, it would keep it cooler longer. is that true. any other ideas?

Originally posted by underdog View Post
    someone said if i put dry ice at the bottom of the cooler then put regular ice on top of that, along with my meat, it would keep it cooler longer. is that true. any other ideas?
    I'd avoid that as the melting water will speed the rate of sublimation of the dry ice. The dry ice is at minus 109.3 F until it's gone, the wet ice is 32-degrees F. The wet ice will speed the rate of dry ice loss. If you could eliminate the melting water from the wet ice, you could improve cooling time length because the wet ice insulates the cooler top better than nothing at all up there. Of course shield your cooler with a barrier between it and the dry ice, the dry ice will permanently damage the cooler lining otherwise. :D
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Using two coolers can help. Keep drinks and anything else you want to get to often in one cooler and keep your meats and other things you only use at mealtime in the other. Opening and closing a cooler a lot really speeds up the melting. Also don't just use cubed ice, buy a block or make your own with empty milk cartons. I like to freeze water bottles and keep them in the chest then when the ice melts we just drink the water..no melted ice problem there. One other thing to try is a brick size sponge is the bottom of your cooler. It will soak up that melted ice then you can just wring it out when it gets saturated.

Comment

Keep it plugged in (to the generator)! :D

Sorry, I'm not taking much seriously today as I am packed........ and .... just ... waiting .. for .. Monday: we leave for our 30 day backpack trip.:p
        Chuck
        So. Oregon
        TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
        TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
        SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

"Double Insulate" it! Place a cheap styrofoam cooler just a bit smaller inside the larger plastic-cased cooler -it'll stay colder. Also use block ice - less surface area, so it melts more slowly.
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Yukon Jack View Post
            Using two coolers can help. Keep drinks and anything else you want to get to often in one cooler and keep your meats and other things you only use at mealtime in the other.
            We used this tip on our recent trip and it made a huge difference. We only bought ice once vs every other day. :D
            "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
            ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

Needing a new cooler

Hello,

After years of using the same cooler, the time has come to purchase a new one!

Have any of you found one in particular that works really well?

We did find something of interest, I went to the local dollar store and purchased 2 sink racks--black coated metal racks that sit in the bottom of the sink. I bent them in a vice to they fit together in the bottom of our cooler and as the ice melts, this rack keeps the food from getting wet. It works quite well.

Favourite cooler?

Thanks!

MoeAnge.

Comment

Get a large solid piece of ice
                Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
                USMC Retired
                Scout/Sniper

Comment

Originally posted by MoeAnge View Post
                  Hello,

After years of using the same cooler, the time has come to purchase a new one!

Have any of you found one in particular that works really well?

We did find something of interest, I went to the local dollar store and purchased 2 sink racks--black coated metal racks that sit in the bottom of the sink. I bent them in a vice to they fit together in the bottom of our cooler and as the ice melts, this rack keeps the food from getting wet. It works quite well.

Favourite cooler?

Thanks!

MoeAnge.
                  I have a 7 year old Coleman extreme and it has worked well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by richardvg03 View Post
                    Get a large solid piece of ice
                    Good advice! Also, remove the melted water periodically from your cooler. The remaining ice will last longer if you do...
                    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
                    X