Camping but not in a campground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping but not in a campground

So far we've only camped in established campgrounds. I'd like to get into camping in places that aren't established. Not backpack and camping, still car camping. Is there a term for this? What do you do? Just drive around until you eventually see a place you like?
    May you always have love to share,
    Health to spare
    And friends that care.

Howdy Nearly....it's called "Dispersed Camping." There are plenty of threads here at CF that cover this subject too. In the "Where to go" section in each section there is an article that I penned on dispersed camping guidelines. Dispersed camping is easier accommodated in the western states that have wide open spaces where a person might find themselves a place to camp. Like in Nevada, most of the land 90% is under the protection of the Federal Government and camping off the beaten track is a very possible thing. There are certain dos and don'ts but it is possible to do this kind of camping. In my old photo albums here at camping forums I've got photos from where we have dispersed camped. The biggest challenge is to pack out what you have packed in, garbage mainly...but someplaces ask that even human waste be packed out as well. Dispersed camping is great if you really want to get away and be by yourself. Do some reading here and you'll find the info you might be searching for.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

You live in Alaska!! There's camping ANYWHERE you want there to be camping! Grab a copy of the milepost and head up the dalton highway for a bit. You can literally pitch a tent on 90% of the land in that state!

You should really look into the Chena River! Nice catch and release fishing and good camping. Just pitch a tent!
      Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
      USMC Retired
      Scout/Sniper

Comment

The RV/TT crowd call it "Boondocking", camping in the wild with no 'facilities' or hookups, soley on "whut ya brung"......

Next best thing to Hiking or MC camping - but you can tote more gear in.... :D
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Its the only way I have ever went camping. I love it! However I do plan to check out some state parks next year.

Comment

I see people doing it in different places especially heading up Chena Hot Springs Rd. The only problem is that they all bring ATV's and I really don't want to listen to that. Now that I know what it's called, I can do some research and maybe find some places that aren't popular with the ATVers.

Originally posted by richardvg03 View Post
            You live in Alaska!! There's camping ANYWHERE you want there to be camping! Grab a copy of the milepost and head up the dalton highway for a bit. You can literally pitch a tent on 90% of the land in that state!

You should really look into the Chena River! Nice catch and release fishing and good camping. Just pitch a tent!
            Health to spare
            And friends that care.

Comment

Originally posted by nearlywild View Post
              I see people doing it in different places especially heading up Chena Hot Springs Rd. The only problem is that they all bring ATV's and I really don't want to listen to that. Now that I know what it's called, I can do some research and maybe find some places that aren't popular with the ATVers.
              Did I not link you up with my good friend that lives there in the North Pole? You have facebook/are we facebook friends???
              Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
              USMC Retired
              Scout/Sniper

Comment

Yes, send me a friend suggestion there. I'll send you a message on facebook so you can find me.

Originally posted by richardvg03 View Post
                Did I not link you up with my good friend that lives there in the North Pole? You have facebook/are we facebook friends???
                Health to spare
                And friends that care.

Comment

National Parks/Forests are other places to check out. My $2 worth (inflation)

Comment

Originally posted by nearlywild View Post
                    So far we've only camped in established campgrounds. I'd like to get into camping in places that aren't established. Not backpack and camping, still car camping. Is there a term for this? What do you do? Just drive around until you eventually see a place you like?
                    When Susan and I travel, our primary search is for National Forests, BLM land, or commercial timber land. On National Forests as long as you don't have a camp fire you can legally stay 2 weeks on a piece of land. I don't know what restrictions there are on BLM land, but the 2 week thingy applies there, too.

Typically, we have had absolutely no problem finding a place to stay on either lands - but, we use the land as an overnight place to spend the night, not necessarily a place to camp for 4-14 days, so our focus may be different than yours. And, with out hesitation, what we take in, we take out - leaving the area looking we were not there.

Another source of an "overnight" stay is already harvested commercial timber land. We have found some truly picturesque places to park for the afternoon, evening, on these lands - and NO ONE is in the area, if you want privacy.

That's my two cents.
                    Chuck
                    So. Oregon
                    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
                    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
                    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

To follow on the heels of Eaglebait, camping in a national forest in a dispersed mode and wanting a campfire. That is allowed but first a person must obtain a "fire permit" from any ranger station in the national forest that you want to camp in. The fire permits are free, they don't cost anything except the trouble it takes to find a ranger station that has that paperwork.

Also you can't camp right next to a waterway either, one must be 1/4 mile from a creek, stream, or river. Unless there is a campsite already there. Rangers know their land and roads, fines can be steep if you have a fire without a permit, or during a time when fires aren't permitted. Camping too close to a road or right on a road is another big no-no. Hope this helps.

There are basically two types of camping opportunities available in your national forests: camping in a developed campground and dispersed (a.k.a. boondocking) camping. Dispersed camping opportunities are found outside developed campgrounds, in the forest and in the wilderness areas. A primary distinction between the two types of camping are no facilities, such as toilets or treated drinking water, provided to dispersed camping areas but are in developed campgrounds.

Dispersed camping provides outstanding camping opportunities. Long popular with tent and car campers, as well as backpackers and "thru-hikers", dispersed camping is growing in popularity for "self-contained" campers. Here are some guidelines to help you in planning a dispersed camping adventures whatever your style of camping.

Rules and Regulations - Specific rules and regulations vary from national forest to another so check with the forest you are going to enjoy. (Contact information is found at www.forestcamping.com.) Examples: backpacking campers in Superior National Forest's wilderness areas may be required to view a "Leave No Trace" video; and, Angeles National Forest imposes seasonal restrictions on camping areas for migrating salamders.

Campsites - Choose your campsite carefully. For privacy, select a secluded camp, screened from roads and other human activity. Two hundred feet separation and dense natural screening is considered an ideal. Also establish a campsite's size appropriate to your needs and, when through, as well as possible, return the area to its natural condition. Protect the environment by avoiding delicate meadows, streams, and river banks. Check with the National Forest for specifics concerning campsite selection. Some forests require campers obtain a no-fee "permit" while others limit locations to protect endangered flora and fauna.

Fires - FYI - Camp stove, used for cooking, are preferred in most forests. Remember, a small campfire minimizes damage to the ground and conserves firewood. Use only Dead-and-Down wood. Do Not cut trees or branches from standing trees for fuel. They burn poorly and smoke. Leave all plants, shrubs, trees, and standing snags undisturbed to preserve a sense of naturalness. (Remember: Standing snags or down trees are homes for wildlife.) It is also suggested you bring an axe, shovel, and bucket to help manage your campfire.

Pets - If you bring a pet, keep it restrained out of respect for your camping neighbors and wildlife. Unsupervised pets are not encouraged within any National Forests. Unsupervised pets can have a painful experience with wildlife. Don't forget to pick up after your pet.

Waste Disposal - Dispose of all waste water and fish entails at least 100 feet from any water. Burn food waste or pack it out and remember aluminum foil does not burn. If camping in a recreational vehicle, haul your human waste to a sanitation dump – Do Not dump it in the forest. Other campers should dig a "cat hole", a 6 to 8 inch deep hole, and bury "deposits" in it.

Trails and Roads - Motorized vehicle should stay on designated roads and trails. Avoid wheel impacts to meadows, streams, and steam banks. Avoid developing new trails or roads. Non-motorized campers should follow the same principles when using trails. Resist the urge to take shortcuts as it destroys vegetation and may cause erosion.

These are a pretty general guidelines but should give a feel for what you need to think about if your want to try this growing type of camping.
                      Last edited by renodesertfox; 10-14-2010, 12:54 PM.

Comment

A note of caution too, I need to add. Be careful to check the rules on disperse camping in National Parks. Most National Parks frown on disperse camping practices. The National Park Service fines are very high if someone is camping dispersed without permission! If you secure a back-country permit most of the time you still have to camp in designated sites only!

Comment

Thanks, good info!
                          Health to spare
                          And friends that care.

Comment

Working...
                          X